Are you an expert with data, have game design sense and want to join Riot?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

rastarogue

01-15-2014

I'm graduating in May with a physics major, and math+Scientific Computing+English minors. I can program in C/C++, python, IDL, and have some experience with maple and matlab. I've worked on a couple of projects that were very heavily coding and analysis based, and I've built up a tool kit of analytical methods to aid me on them that I think would be useful.

I want to work for riot, and I was looking at applying to a number of data heavy jobs as I enjoy seeing patterns and finding what they mean and what factors control them. However, as I said, I graduate in May, so I wouldn't be able to work until then. Should I apply? Does my skillset seem like something Riot could use?

Thanks for reading.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I already live in the LA area, and in three months I could easily pick up another programming language or system as long as I knew which one to learn.

Dameon

01-15-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
As Design Analyst, you’ll exercise your mighty data management muscles and employ your extensive xp in data mining, modeling, and machine learning methods to help build better player experiences. You’ll apply this powerful combo of skills to effectively extract meaningful insights and conclusions from loads of data. This insight and info will help Rioters solve challenging problems and answer tough questions to make player-focused decisions. And as the go-to Rioter for data, you’ll play a key role in helping inform new projects that translate to a better player experience.

The rest of the job description is here:
http://www.riotgames.com/careers/design-analyst

For an example of the types of research and data you'd be involved with, and the types of game features you'd work on, you can check out this talk from GDC 2013:
http://gdcvault.com/play/1017940/The...Shaping-Player

I'm happy to answer any questions about this position in this thread, and am looking forward to the applications!

I'm probably just a geek. But honestly, I was very impressed with the overall video that I just watched. It really went to show that there is a lot more than meets the eye in the realm of player behavior than just "bad" and "good." The line is so fine, and is so based on context that I do not envy your jobs. But I do respect that you are doing the best you can.

Maximum Jarvan

01-15-2014

Quote:
I'm sure Riot will be around in 4 years. We'll see you then!
What about for lore department?

Takato67

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-15-2014

As a Game Design and Development student here at Southern Poly, I am angry I don't live in california (or have my degree yet >>') but I want that so much

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

01-15-2014
20 of 41 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJayC View Post
Hi Lyte. Any rewards for honor system yet?
Not yet! We have plans, but have decided to fully focus on Team Builder for now.

SirtyStan

01-15-2014

Quote:
That could work. You have a similar background to my own (Masters in Cognitive Psychology and PhD in Cognitive Neuroscience), but in this case we're looking for someone who has a bit more statistical chops than I do.
Idiot question, but since you have a PhD, do you get called with the Dr. title a lot?

Thales

01-15-2014

Lyte: I have a BS in computer science and math from a very good university, but no graduate degree. I've had internships that were primarily in R and JMP, and though I've never had to use it for a class or a job, I have researched some SQL in my own time. I'm also reasonably familiar with network theory and analysis, and have taken multiple courses on it. I enjoy presenting complex information in a manner that people can understand.

Player behavior, along with eCommerce, are to my eyes the most interesting aspects of Riot, because those are places you guys are on the leading edge of. What's being done to adjust players' incentives to align them with pleasant behavior is to me a very cool thing. I'd love to be a part of it, but I'm not sure if I'm qualified. From what I've described of my background, would I be a match for this position?

Reiver

01-15-2014

I'm a Physics undergrad currently, but I might get back to you in a couple years. High-energy physics is a wonderful exercise in data mining.

Linna Excel

01-15-2014

I tried data mining, all I got was a rock.

Labcown

01-15-2014

In regards with Team Builder, can you tell us about the general direction you're taking it? As in, are you and your team still tailoring it to be a seperate queue alongside the current one like in most of the iterations seen one the PBE? Or are you trying to modify the experience to allow it to be used as the main queue and get rid of the queue we have now?