Are you an expert with data, have game design sense and want to join Riot?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ForumPostingAcco

01-15-2014

revert Eve nerfs

Eledhan

01-15-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
That specific work would be more interesting for our Gameplay teams working on game balance. This position is going to be closely working with the player behavior team, so the focus is a little different.

As an example, what's an interesting insight or report you could quickly scrape up from one of the existing player behavior systems? (Tribunal, Honor, Team Builder on PBE, etc)
I have done a ton of talking over issues with the current ranked system, and statistical/logical analysis with regards to the likelihood that a player could truly have an "unlucky" streak and end up in Bronze when they should be Gold, and have issues climbing out. Let me dig up the link...

http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com...3#post42062403

That's my first post. I had a post roughly once per page (sometimes more, sometimes I would skip a page). After my contributions, the conversation shifted to problem-solving the issues with Ranked, and what we might be able to propose to Riot in order to address the issues.

However, if I were to come up with one singular concept with regards to player behavior, I would say this...

Quote:
It is impossible to develop a matchmaking system (even with absurdly large population sizes) that properly accounts for individual skill in a manner that the average player can identify with. What I mean here is that KDA, CS, GPM, Warding, etc. are all great INDICATORS of skill, but they do not DEFINE skill. Skill is only those things that a player can do to generate more wins than losses.

Are the things I listed some of those things players can do to increase their chances? Sure! But that doesn't mean they are the only ones... A rather significant skill at any level would be how to fill in the gaps of your team. The ability of a player to use on the fly SWOT Analysis (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, Threats) and develop strategy or implement tactics to respond to these things in the most effective manner are truly what determine skill.

It is because of these concepts that the best matchmaking system should be attempting to determine skill based on whether you win or lose the game, and how good was the opposing team compared to your team. Almost everything else can be considered supplementary, but not determinant.
So, should I apply and give it a shot?

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

01-15-2014
18 of 41 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS19cf4edfe65f8db57a3e9 View Post
Whats the point of machine learning at riot when your servers are shiet they couldn't handle the computations needed. Let alone run servers

Upgrade your gear before you even think of hiring more people, You need stronger equipment and that's were money is best spent at this moment.
This might be surprising, but you can do multiple things at once as an organization.

We're always focused on the live service and making it the best experience possible; but, we can still work on new features and research. An artist isn't going to wake up tomorrow and suddenly start ordering new hardware and racking them--well, some could, but it's not efficient.

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

01-15-2014
19 of 41 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eledhan View Post
I have done a ton of talking over issues with the current ranked system, and statistical/logical analysis with regards to the likelihood that a player could truly have an "unlucky" streak and end up in Bronze when they should be Gold, and have issues climbing out. Let me dig up the link...

http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com...3#post42062403

That's my first post. I had a post roughly once per page (sometimes more, sometimes I would skip a page). After my contributions, the conversation shifted to problem-solving the issues with Ranked, and what we might be able to propose to Riot in order to address the issues.

However, if I were to come up with one singular concept with regards to player behavior, I would say this...

So, should I apply and give it a shot?
Unsure. What's your experience crunching numbers in a software package of your choice? For example, R, Matlab, SPSS? Do you have SQL experience and writing optimized queries?

lightdragoon88

01-15-2014

Now does one have to move if they get ANYof the jobs posted on that site?

Nampoosh

01-15-2014

Quote:
Possibly. What technical expertise do you bring? Do you have experience designing robust qualitative surveys? Have you run focus groups before?

The specific degree doesn't really matter--it's about what skills you bring, and convincing us you can apply them in a variety of valuable ways around Riot.
I'm still in school at the moment. I have been exploring possible career choices for the future.

Thank you for the information though.

Holy Malevolence

01-15-2014

Not an expert with data.
Could probably be useful as an unpaid intern type person, but m'thinks it wouldn't be worthwhile to apply for an actual job.

Though I can bet you I'd be able to make spellvamp twenty times better... Uh....
More balanced, because saying "better" can imply things other than what m'thinks.
I'd say I've got some game design sense.

Eledhan

01-15-2014

Quote:
Unsure. What's your experience crunching numbers in a software package of your choice? For example, R, Matlab, SPSS? Do you have SQL experience and writing optimized queries?
My experience crunching numbers is "limited" to Microsoft Excel. I put the quotations in there because I am of the opinion that almost anything can be assigned a number, and used in an analysis, even if the number assigned is arbitrary.

I have never worked with the programs you have mentioned.

However, I do spreadsheets for fun...the link I originally posted was a SIMPLE version of what I am capable of. And I learn systems/software EXTREMELY fast. I have to in order to function in the accounting world!

As for data mining, my mind is quite conditioned to figuring out what data I need, and how to find it in systems I'm unfamiliar with. For example, I teach myself game systems just so I can understand the underlying calculations in order to do analysis for my buddies. I don't actually play the game/character/class that they are asking me to analyze.

One reason I do this is to expose myself to as much design as possible, in the hopes I can finish my own game design that I've been working on for over 15 years now. This stuff is in my blood, and always on my mind... Systems design, analysis, and management are what I love!

EDIT:
Part of my day job requires converting complex accounting and detail-oriented information into an easily readable and digestible format for those who do not have an accounting background or are not detail-oriented. This includes charts, easy to read statistical data, graphs, powerpoints, etc.

I have also been told that my communication skills are above average for an analyst. I guess that makes sense, because I strive to be as clear and concise as possible (when I'm not in a hurry)

EDIT 2:
I watched the video you linked shortly after it was available online...I drooled... Only in my dreams have I allowed myself to imagine working in a department with that kind of exciting data...

FrozenXylaphone

01-15-2014

How important is the statistical know how?

For instance, I am a computer scientist with advanced sql skills used to create programs that keep track of financial data for my company.
But I have never worked with R or Matlab. I did take statistics in college, but my degree was computer science so it wasn't the focus.

CJayC

01-15-2014

Hi Lyte. Any rewards for honor system yet?