Are you an expert with data, have game design sense and want to join Riot?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Emcee

01-15-2014

Ghost Crawler didn't study Design Analyst.. but i study crushing and exploiting overpowered things in video games, give me a chance AND HIRE ME YOU SCUM BAGS IM SO JEALOUS OF YOU F-- *WHEEPS*
:'(

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

01-15-2014
14 of 41 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandaari View Post
What kind of expert in statistics are we talking about? I'm a CS + Game dev major and I've done some work with surveys/statistics.
Here's a few examples of things we're looking for, for this position. You don't necessarily need to be all of these things to apply--the more the better.

An equipped technical translator: you speak the language of numbers, and translate raw data into reports and presentations that are easy for statistical [i.e. non-robot] laypeople to understand; Excel, Access, and MySQL are your BFFs, helping you deftly generate reports and analysis

A data logistician: you adeptly navigate SQL and storage systems like Hadoop and Vertica; you recognize the importance of good logging and the challenges and opportunities associated with data warehousing schemes, relational databases, and distributed data

An expert analyst: you have extensive experience navigating large, rich data frameworks; you’ve employed advanced analysis techniques so often that they’re second nature, and you know that machine learning isn’t just something that happens in the Matrix

A model statistician: your favorite models are the predictive kind, and statistical methods such as Linear or Logistic Regressions are the runways they walk

Riot Frosthaven

01-15-2014

Good luck future analysts!

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-15-2014
15 of 41 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eledhan View Post
Lyte,

Is someone who can do things like this in 15 minutes good enough for this kind of job?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...mc&usp=sharing

These spreadsheets are simple examples of the things I have done in the past...I'm just curious if I should even bother with applying because I have all but the Database Software experience, but I learn new data systems constantly, as well as design and manage them for a living.

I am currently working in a $6m not-for profit organization, as the Controller (my title does not reflect that yet...currently titled as Accountant and Business Analyst, but responsibilities on the level of a Controller). I play League of Legends about 20 hours a week, and talk about it non-stop to anyone who will listen. I have achieved Gold ranking in both SR solo queue and in 3v3's (just didn't keep the team together long enough in 3v3)

My friends who play League all tell me that I should apply for a job at Riot, or if nothing else, stream my analytical and problem-solving skills so people can check it out online.

Thoughts?

-Eledhan
That specific work would be more interesting for our Gameplay teams working on game balance. This position is going to be closely working with the player behavior team, so the focus is a little different.

As an example, what's an interesting insight or report you could quickly scrape up from one of the existing player behavior systems? (Tribunal, Honor, Team Builder on PBE, etc)

sofie

01-15-2014

I have a question. I'm almost done with my statistics degree with a minor in mathematics, one year away, but my core classes all focus on R coding. Although I do have experience with python and excel, the only experience I have is in the medical field with research analysis. So I was wondering if MySQL is necessary to learn before applying?

The main thing is, I am debating to change my degree, although this late, to marketing analysis. I also recently applied for a job at riot that was completely not in my field, so if I were to apply, so I submit a new application?

Evexrael

01-15-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcee View Post
Ghost Crawler didn't study Design Analyst.. but i study crushing and exploiting overpowered things in video games, give me a chance AND HIRE ME YOU SCUM BAGS IM SO JEALOUS OF YOU F-- *WHEEPS*
:'(
Seconded... up until the failed ellipsis.

Absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence!

LOLDozer

01-15-2014

Thanks for making me question those years I spent getting a political science degree.

Lyte

01-15-2014
16 of 41 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nampoosh View Post
I am just wondering if a company like Riot could make use of someone with an Anthropology degree that is focusing on Linguistics.
Possibly. What technical expertise do you bring? Do you have experience designing robust qualitative surveys? Have you run focus groups before?

The specific degree doesn't really matter--it's about what skills you bring, and convincing us you can apply them in a variety of valuable ways around Riot.

Lyte

01-15-2014
17 of 41 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofie View Post
I have a question. I'm almost done with my statistics degree with a minor in mathematics, one year away, but my core classes all focus on R coding. Although I do have experience with python and excel, the only experience I have is in the medical field with research analysis. So I was wondering if MySQL is necessary to learn before applying?

The main thing is, I am debating to change my degree, although this late, to marketing analysis. I also recently applied for a job at riot that was completely not in my field, so if I were to apply, so I submit a new application?
Being an expert at R is a plus. We're willing to train you up in SQL, but if you are already well-versed in it at the time of application, that'll be a leg up on the applicants who haven't learned it yet.

If the job is distinct enough from your previous application, it's probably OK to re-apply.

IS19cf4edfe65f8db57a3e9

01-15-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
As Design Analyst, you’ll exercise your mighty data management muscles and employ your extensive xp in data mining, modeling, and machine learning methods to help build better player experiences. You’ll apply this powerful combo of skills to effectively extract meaningful insights and conclusions from loads of data. This insight and info will help Rioters solve challenging problems and answer tough questions to make player-focused decisions. And as the go-to Rioter for data, you’ll play a key role in helping inform new projects that translate to a better player experience.

The rest of the job description is here:
http://www.riotgames.com/careers/design-analyst

I'm happy to answer any questions about this position in this thread, and am looking forward to the applications!

Whats the point of machine learning at riot when your servers are shiet they couldn't handle the computations needed. Let alone run servers

Upgrade your gear before you even think of hiring more people, You need stronger equipment and that's were money is best spent at this moment.