Are you an expert with data, have game design sense and want to join Riot?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nampoosh

01-15-2014

I am just wondering if a company like Riot could make use of someone with an Anthropology degree that is focusing on Linguistics.

Juggernaut N

01-15-2014

ill do it for free.

Evexrael

01-15-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut N View Post
ill do it for free.
You're hired!!

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

01-15-2014
9 of 41 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzen kuden View Post
what im hopeing is riot has the idea is "we would like you to have the degree, but if you can show you know what your doing...well WELCOME ABORD!" i might be wrong >.>
This is true for almost every position at Riot; however, this one in particular we'll be looking for specific stats/modeling skills that is more rare to acquire organically without going through a degree program.

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-15-2014
10 of 41 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VG Selphius View Post
This posting looks like it was designed for me after I finish my Masters in Information Science in two years. :P Already got two bachelors in econ and math, and been working in data processing and manipulation for 5 years now. Sadly, I live in Michigan and the commute would be a bit extreme.

Good luck in your search!
We do offer great relocation packages for strong candidates

Lyte

01-15-2014
11 of 41 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosLogan View Post
So I have a Math degree, and do a lot of number crunching, spreadsheet mining, database querying in my current job. My fear is that I do not have the job experience with the particular set of tools (i.e. software) that you may be using in your data mining.

I can read and write certain code ok, but I definitely can do the Math to English translation well. My experience in Sociology, Psychology, and Anthropology are lacking other than what a college bachelor's would provide. Would you recommend a further look at this position with what I have posted above?
We actually don't care about what stats packages or software you use. Some of our researchers/analysts use R, SPSS or Matlab, while some just use Python or Excel. It really doesn't matter as long as your analyses are clean and accurate, and you're able to break down complex problems and apply the right methodologies or techniques to derive solutions.

Your experience with Sociology/Psychology/Anthropology would just be a bonus--we have great mentors who will catch you up. Much of the work we do in these fields is brand new research, so we are looking for a diverse range of minds that can quickly learn new material and adapt their previous experience or knowledge to extend it.

LifeSmash

01-15-2014

In other circumstances I could totally go for a job like this. Pretty invested in my music at this point tho.

Lyte

01-15-2014
12 of 41 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goumindong View Post
How willing are you to ease up on the SQL/coding requirements and/or wait for those aspects to be trained/learned?

My degree is in economics, and i'm halfway into/out of a masters. Most of the work is in complex statistical applications and model building so it would fit pretty well; but I don't know SQL other than I am pretty sure you probably use it to generate datasets.
Happy to ease up on the SQL/coding requirements, but in those cases we'll be doing a few extra interviews to gauge your ability to pick up the material and ramp up.

Lyte

01-15-2014
13 of 41 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaekarion View Post
SQL/MySQL experience help with the massive scale of data?
Definitely useful.

Zestalingrad

01-15-2014

This is a little off topic, but given the topic of jobs at riot. I am very happy to have learned that Greg Street is now the new Lead Game Designer over at Riot games. He definitely knows what he is doing and believe only good things will come from him