incredibly basic question about team fights

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IgnatzBrick

12-29-2010

Hi all,

My question/observation is this: Usually when I join a team fight the action is so frenzied that I just end up frantically pressing hot keys and running about like a lunatic.
This isn't very efficient and is not the best way to help my team. I don't want to get in the habit running from fights and abandoning my team mates but at the moment this,sadly, would generally be best for the team.
Any suggestions on how to approach a large team fight?

OmniOmega

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-29-2010

How you approach teamfights largely depends on your role. If you are a tank, you should be charging headlong into the fray. If you are a squishy, you should be staying back, damaging enemies whenever possible. As a general rule of thumb, always go for the enemy's squishies first. They are usually the enemy team's source of damage, and thus are the greatest threat to your team. Communicate with your team via chat or pings to establish a "focusing order" which dictates which champion to attack, and when to attack them.

Keeping track of your champion is pretty difficult in heated fights (I still struggle with this constantly :-\). If you are playing with a locked screen, your champion will always be in the middle of your screen. If not, you can press SPACE to center your screen on your champion momentarily (hold SPACE to keep the screen centered on your champion).

ShadyGrave

12-29-2010

as omni says, its partly based on your role, partly based on who you should be targeting. if you do the most damage, you want to try to inflict as much damage as possible, hopefully knocking out their heavy damage dealer. as a tank, you are to try and disable their most dangerous character OR protect your damage dealer. support generally is to keep your damage dealer alive or disable the enemy team. but before the fight breaks, you want to know who you are targeting first.

IgnatzBrick

12-29-2010

Thanks for the quick response.

I don't play with a locked screen; however, I like the idea of holding the space bar down during team melees. I'll have to give it a try. You pegged it Omni; keeping track of yourself, let alone everyone else can be daunting.
I'm actually trying to learn a couple of different types of champions. Right now my main is Corki but I also rotate between Zilean and Udyr.

I will just say that it's a bit surprising that a game that is chiefly a bashum game can be so intricate.
some aspects, particularly the first few minutes are comparable to vying for good position during the opening moves in chess.

Kilrathi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-29-2010

Completely agree on the thought of focusing and knowing who you'll attack. Don't just attack the nearest guy - all else being the same, a 5v5 fight is even... so you want to make it a 4v5 fight. Hit their easy to kill characters first generally (especially if they're farmed up mages or damage dealers like Ashe with good items). Then you and your team will have the advantage and can focus on taking the other guys down. I just played a game where we were better than the other guys individually but my teammates would either chase guys one on one or go after Galio and let Ashe beat on them. This isn't always the rule (depending on the abilities of the other champs, etc.) but generally the quicker you can take out players, the quicker you can turn a team fight to your advantage since very few champs can go 2 or 3v5. In a fight where one team is picking off opponents 1 by 1 and the other is just firing chaotically at whoever's nearest, the focused attack will win.