Mao Build

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BD Wilton

02-17-2012

I usually go Doran's Shield, Chalice of Harmony, Boots, Warmog's, Frozen Heart, then Merc Treads and FoN.

Doran's Shield, Chalice of Harmony, Merc Treads, Warmog's, Frozen Heart, and FoN.

What do I replace Doran's with? I was thinking a damage item to give me some extra punch like Atma's, Rageblade, Ionic Spark, or Trinity. Trinity is likely out of the question though as if I get that much gold it's likely over. RoA doesn't really fit my build as Mao's AP ratios aren't impressive and I have to get it earlier for the time to stack.

Cerros

02-17-2012

Will of the ancients. the aoe on his sapling gives decent health back and his twisted advance has a .8 ap ratio

Carados

02-17-2012

Replace both Doran's Shield and Chalice with philostone.

LancerXXX

02-17-2012

Why would you get Warmog's on a true tank... get rid of that, and get a HoG > Randuin's instead.

At lower level games I could manage with Catalyst > Boots > RoA, but in the sustain war that is solo top, Philo Stone + HoG is far stronger for the early game.

Amoc

02-17-2012

I would say the OP's way is the wrong way to build Mao altogether. I don't really see what you're trying to do there. You're building him as an MR tank with bad dps and mediocre armor.

The way I usually build him is:

(Jungle) - Wriggle's, Philo Stone, Heart of Gold, Frozen Heart, Banshee's, FoN, Upgrade Philostone to ShR, then upgrade/swap HoG and/or Wriggle's for whatever's needed (usually at least phage or Triforce/Frozen Mallet or maybe Rylai's). You end up with great AR and MR, great CDR (needed for Mao's tanking abilities), high health, some damage AND awesome CC. He's a beast tank that way and just screws so hard with the other team. He's by far my favorite tank in the game. Only thing that comes close is Ali imo.

LancerXXX

02-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amoc View Post
I would say the OP's way is the wrong way to build Mao altogether. I don't really see what you're trying to do there. You're building him as an MR tank with bad dps and mediocre armor.

The way I usually build him is:

(Jungle) - Wriggle's, Philo Stone, Heart of Gold, Frozen Heart, Banshee's, FoN, Upgrade Philostone to ShR, then upgrade/swap HoG and/or Wriggle's for whatever's needed (usually at least phage or Triforce/Frozen Mallet or maybe Rylai's). You end up with great AR and MR, great CDR (needed for Mao's tanking abilities), high health, some damage AND awesome CC. He's a beast tank that way and just screws so hard with the other team. He's by far my favorite tank in the game. Only thing that comes close is Ali imo.
BV. On a tank.
Wriggles. On an AoE based champion who cannot throw out procs like crazy.
TriForce/Mallet/Rylai's. On a Maokai.

Uhhhhhhhh...?

BD Wilton

02-17-2012

Not sure why you would get Mallet or Randurins on Mao considering how he can practically slow anybody with his abilities and short CDs. Wriggles is questionable too as clearing jungle is already a breeze with saplings.

I just really want to know what item for damage yall would recommend. AP ratios just aren't that impressive. Choose one damage item for Mao. What is it?

Silentsyco

02-17-2012

You can really afford to get two decent AP items on Mao without sacrificing survivability. His armor and MR scale pretty well for early game, so I usually build a Rod of Ages fast. This nets you hp, mana, and AP. Then after your merc treads, if the enemy team is mostly AP, build an Abyssal Scepter, great extra MR and AP. If they are mostly physical damage, or lots of AS, build a Frozen Heart, then an Abyssal Scepter later. In either case, with a Rod of Ages and Abyssal Scepter you still have some respectable damage late game and you're not sacrificing your ability to effectively tank.

Powerstoned

02-17-2012

RoA is a must. the hp, the mana, the very helpful ap.

Early game/late game, Mao needs mana. Just catalyst is a godsend early game. The doran's and chalice are wastes of cash, if you're not going to rush an roa, Philo is much better.

Carados

02-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancerXXX View Post
BV. On a tank. ?
Tanks don't exist in this game. I'm confused.