Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Some suggestions for ARAM players

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IlyaK1986

01-09-2014

So, considering I have around 900ish ARAM games (only 50% win rate T_T), I hope I'm qualified to at least list some observations re: ARAM games.

1) Know your freaking role.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen melee champs building damage when they need to survive for a better back line, but instead build damage that they never get a good chance to use because they're either plastered the moment they jump in the fight, or hide and cower like wusses waiting for their teammates to do the work. Hint hint, if you're a Riven, a Pantheon, or other champ with a bunch of AD-scaling moves and some CC, it's alright to go ONE damage item (black cleaver/hydra usually), but then, BUILD SURVIVABILITY.

2) When the best move is to do nothing, DO NOTHING.

If you have a Nid, a Varus, a Lux, or some other champ on your team that can just wear down the enemy, sit back and let them actually *do their job*, rather than rushing in so that you can do something. Because if you end up feeding, you're going to make your team lose.

3) If you plan on playing ARAM, for the love of god, please don't buy ****ty ARAM champs. If a champ is trash on rift but great in ARAM, you don't have to pick them on rift. But if a champ is good on rift but is horrible in ARAM, at some point, you WILL get them. There are plenty of champs that are very solid on both maps (E.G. Kayle, Lux, all the supports, all the ADCs, Ziggs). Champs that really SUCK on ARAM are the ones that need to be in close range for extended periods of time.

4) If you play a mana-heavy champ, MAKE SURE YOU CAN SUSTAIN YOUR SPELLCASTING. If you don't start chalice on a Nid or a Lux, you better have a crapton of mana potions to start with, because when you run out of mana, you WILL be dragging your team down.

5) If you're in range to auto-attack any champ besides the tank, you're also in range to get hit by just about every other skill on the opposing team. And if you're in range to auto-attack the tank, you're in range to get CC'd by the tank. So for the love of god, if you're an AD champ, do not rush that statik shiv/phantom dancer! To elaborate on this point, I feel I've done more damage more reliably with AD CDR Ashe than going straight AD. I have yet to test this on Varus (god damned 6300 IP cost >.&gt

6) Good waveclear means your towers last longer. Do not discount the value of good waveclear. Players may be able to dodge skillshots, minions can't. Clear those waves please so your towers don't get run over.

7) Some champs do better in ARAM using builds that are not the recommended ones. E.G. AD CDR Ashe in my experience is better than straight ADC, since it means more frequent hawks, more frequent crystal arrows, and most importantly, more frequent volleys to keep you from getting jumped. AP MF IMO is also much better than AD MF, since you usually won't be in range to auto-attack and be constantly hitting Qs, while make it rain will do wonders on waveclear, and a 40 CDR Bullet Time is fantastic. AP Ezreal is also very strong, since Trueshot Barrage is far stronger on the AP end (especially where CDR is involved). Kayle is best played as a straight AP champ, not the hybrid nonsense that the build recommendations put her as. She has no techniques that scale off of AD, and 40% CDR on Intervention is amazing.

8) A good tank is a godsend. Galio on winrate is basically right under the Sona-Ziggs god-tier for good reason (you build him full tank and still do a massive amount of damage, while his self-healing is some of the best on the map), and a good Taric and Leona are absolutely fantastic to have on your team. Blitzcrank's power is also self-explanatory. Frankly, whenever I see a good Leona, I will honor that Leona at the end of the game, even though the K/D ratios of initiator tanks are usually abysmal. So please, don't be averse to buying tanky champs. The rest of your top-tier squishies will love you.

9) If you have a team full of APs, at least one of you needs to get a Lich Bane. It's the way AP champs chunk towers. Preferably, it should go on someone with fast cooldowns (E.G. Ryze, Sona, but you can put it on a Nid, Ziggs, or Lux in a pinch).

10) Check the player stats after the game to see if what you think works in theory works in practice. Stemming from point 1 above, I've seen champs that have built nothing but damage...do the least amount of damage in the game, because they don't get good chances to apply that overspecced damage. Similarly, champs with unorthodox builds can do much better because they build around the skills that they have the most chances to use, as opposed to what can theoretically do the most damage.

11) On many champs, it is better to start off with a gold item. Early on, they provide some much-needed HP regeneration to shake off the occasional stray hit, much-needed mana regeneration since you're not getting chalice out of the gate, and later on, they more than pay for themselves.

The way I think about which item to get is this:

If you can safely poke and auto-attack, you probably want Frostfang. If you need to stay back and play more passively, you want nomad's medallion. Finally, if you're Mundo or Zac, I suppose, you may be interested in the Targon's Brace -> Face of the Mountain route, but odds are, that shouldn't be your start.

In any case, I've always seen that my gold was visibly higher than most of my team, unless one of our ADs or APs got seriously fed. In any case, pick one up early, and let it work its magic, because by the time that last item slot becomes so utterly critical, it will more than have served its purpose.

12) If you have survival items in your build, highly consider rushing them. If you rush damage, you may kill faster, but you'll be dead all the same, resulting in a 1-for-1 trade the whole way. But if you rush survival items, you may come out ahead with a sliver of health, and where healing champions are involved, that means you got a 1 for 0, and this asymmetry is the difference between winning and losing.

13) In the late game, consider that it's been even so far, both inhibitors are destroyed, and so on. Do NOT go back for the two furthest relics. Map position is far more important than a little bit of extra HP. If you get aced in your opponent's base, they still have to get to yours. If you get aced even so much as mid-map at level 18, it's usually GFG. Just got reminded of this one the hard way after nearly beating a Sona comp with a Soraka comp. Was pissed.

14) Relics first spawn at 3:10. So unless you have a very good reason for hiding behind that tower, secure your neutral-field relic at 3:10. If you can secure your opponent's relic, that's a strong sign of you having a massive advantage--push that advantage!

15) Contrary to what some may believe, the game *isn't* a never-ending teamfight. It's alright to take another 10 seconds or so to get the relic behind your first tower if it means taking one more skill shot, or saving your healer a cooldown. Especially if you have speed-up skills (Nami, Kayle).

16) Range is only the massive advantage it is if you, well, can actually create distance between you and the opponent. A loss of mine came today from having 5 ranged champs, with the other team having 4 comparable champs, and a Jax. Jax may not be that good an ARAM champ, but he's enough to jump on squishies.

17) Build a ****ing locket. I read somewhere it has a 60% win rate on ARAM. I don't care if you're Jax, Shyvana, or some other "offensive" champion with a more offensive kit. The top tiers of ARAM are mostly ranged champions that have no room to build that locket. You can instantly make your champion more useful by devoting that 1 out of 30 team item slots to an all-around amazeballs item. Just to put it in perspective, this thing gives you 300 life, and you and all of your allies the equivalent of 1000ish gold in items. And that's before we get to the shield.

18) PLAY TO WIN. Period. It isn't about smashing the other people, but about constantly learning from your mistakes, not making them again, and improving your play, and thus your enjoyment. You can spend a thousand hours playing with queue dodgers, randoms, and crossing your fingers that your opponents get a junk comp while you get a Sona-Ziggs-Varus-Galio-Talon comp, or something of that nature. And for every one time it'll happen, you'll wind up with a random scrub twice. Blowout wins are boring. Blowout losses are frustrating. A pitched, evenly-matched game when everyone knows what they're doing may be less chaotic, and more interesting, for everyone involved.

Edit 1: Added #11
Edit 2: Added #12-#18

Bob The Average

01-09-2014

Great Guide.

someone new

01-10-2014

i disagree with some things you have said. just my thoughts but ive done very well as ad tank nasus and garen as well. you just need to bait the all in and they will get crushed. i said almost because i agree with a good amount of things, but playstyles differ. i had a game where my team was sion ww nasus volibear and taric, vs varus zyra lux jinx and nid. in your theory they automatically win, but in actually we remodeled their flesh with roflstomping action. just my opinion, and like i said, playstyles differ.

AthenasHarpy

01-10-2014

My thoughts:

1,2,4,5) Yes, yes, and yes. I typically start out with pickaxe; early game, burst dmg is more useful than speed. For ARAM mages, I sometimes go frostfang/nomad's medallion and faerie charm (depending on the champ).

3) It's random, so idk if this is a fair suggestion. If I buy champs for SR, then I have champs for SR; they may get chosen. Sorry.

6) It irritates me when players don't wave clear (if its to pick-off/pursue weak enemies okay, but come back). Besides, it's more gold >.>

7-10) Agreed.

A few more to add:

11) Stop running! Some people are so quick to pull back it gets annoying, stay and fight sometimes. Then enemy champs run away with 5% health, or tank/support gets screwed because their backup left...

12) Conversely, stop trying to 1v4! Certain people can pull it off (assuming champ health and gear, your skill, and enemy's health), but 99.9% of the time you just reduced our team's numbers for the next push.

13) You don't need to signal something THAT many times to get your point across. Honestly, the ones who signal that often usually don't know wtf they're doing/saying. Yes, we know we have to hit the Inhibitor, but there are 3 enemies in the way...

ZyniX69

01-10-2014

Quote:
AthenasHarpy:
My thoughts:
11) Stop running! Some people are so quick to pull back it gets annoying, stay and fight sometimes. Then enemy champs run away with 5% health, or tank/support gets screwed because their backup left...

12) Conversely, stop trying to 1v4! Certain people can pull it off (assuming champ health and gear, your skill, and enemy's health), but 99.9% of the time you just reduced our team's numbers for the next push.

Sometimes you should run, like when your teammate tries to 1v4. So many times have I seen one persons bad decision become two. Don't try to play the hero.

AthenasHarpy

01-10-2014

Quote:
ZyniX69:
Don't try to play the hero.

Basically this, agreed.

Ice Weasel X

01-10-2014

Quote:
IlyaK1986:
Kayle is best played as a straight AP champ, not the hybrid nonsense that the build recommendations put her as. She has no techniques that scale off of AD, and 40% CDR on Intervention is amazing.

Actually, both her Q and E scale off of AD. Reckoning has 100% AP + 100% Bonus AD scaling. Righteous Fury has 40% AP + 20-40% Total AD scaling.

That doesn't discount the fact that she still is much better as an AP build; I just wanted to make sure you realized. I doubt I'd have much fun playing her as AD. AP/AS/CDR all the way.

AAARRRRGGGGGHHHH

01-11-2014

Quote:
IlyaK1986:
If you're in range to auto-attack any champ besides the tank, you're also in range to get hit by just about every other skill on the opposing team. And if you're in range to auto-attack the tank, you're in range to get CC'd by the tank. So for the love of god, if you're an AD champ, do not rush that statik shiv/phantom dancer! To elaborate on this point, I feel I've done more damage more reliably with AD CDR Ashe than going straight AD. I have yet to test this on Varus (god damned 6300 IP cost >.&gt

the point is correct (don't rush PD) but the reasoning is all wrong lol.

ad/cdr ashe is effective because ashe has volley. it doesn't mean ad/cdr is the right way to go on every ADC, or that pd/ss are awful items on ashe either. it just means that build happens to be effective on ashe, nothing more and nothing less.

someone who wants to poke at enemy champs with auto attacks WOULD get pd/ss so they can move around quicker and avoid getting CCed. this hypothetical has so many factors (who exactly is the enemy tank and what CCs does he have, what CC is on the other team, how much peel and CC do you have on your team, how much damage are you getting out of it) that you can't just make the assumption that poking the enemy team with auto attacks is always too risky and never worth it. sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't.

you don't rush PD because it typically yields far less DPS as a first item than most others, it's effective at amplifying the effects of your other items but doesn't do very much alone. that's it. there's no other reason to tell someone to not get PD, though it's usually the only reason you need.

SS can be rushed on some champs in some scenarios.

cocacolalips

01-11-2014

Quote:
IlyaK1986:
AP MF IMO

Oh man.

That used not to be so bloody terrible back when her ultimate did magical damage, it doesn't anymore. Please just don't.

Miss Fortune is so good and fun to play, why would do such a dreadful thing to her.

Kalarepa

01-11-2014

Those are some good advices. I hate the 3rd one, but I can't agree that it works.