Does Armor Penetrating/Magic Resist reducers effect Champs who don't have such items?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

zgzg2020

12-30-2009

Hi,
I was wondering, if I bought such items as The Brutalizer or Abyssal Scepter that effect enemies's armor/magic resist, but the enemy did not build their champs with Armor/Magic Resist items, then will Abyssal Scepter or The Brutalizer have any effect on those champs?
I mean, if let's say for example, the enemy champ had 0 Magic Resist, will they be reduced -40 Magic Resist?
I remember in DoTA that Blue Lizard Hero had an ult that reduces armor, and the armor can drop below zero. Is it the same in LoL?

looney

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-30-2009

Items that give "Penetration" only brings the champion to 0 Armor/MR.
Items that give "Reduce" can bring the champion stats to negative.

WesleyC

12-30-2009

However I recall reading in a previous post by a Riot Staff member that, the items which 'Reduce' happen first then items which penetrate by a % and finally flat 'Penetration' happen last. Given that champions start with 25+ Armor, its not realistically possible to reduce a Champion's Armor/MR to a negative number. It can happen to creeps though.

ie. Imagine vs a hero with 30 Magic Resist. you have 15 Magic Reduction and 30 Magic Penetration. Their MR would be reduced to 15, all of which would be penetrated for an effective Resistance of 0.

zgzg2020

01-05-2010

This is hard to imagine, really. I think I will have to try and look at the numbers real-time to figure it out.

Thanks guys!

p.s. There should be an easier way for finding posts then manually searching through the forum. I will start placing my nickname for easier searching.

zgzg2020

Fbsunny

01-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyC View Post
However I recall reading in a previous post by a Riot Staff member that, the items which 'Reduce' happen first then items which penetrate by a % and finally flat 'Penetration' happen last. Given that champions start with 25+ Armor, its not realistically possible to reduce a Champion's Armor/MR to a negative number. It can happen to creeps though.

ie. Imagine vs a hero with 30 Magic Resist. you have 15 Magic Reduction and 30 Magic Penetration. Their MR would be reduced to 15, all of which would be penetrated for an effective Resistance of 0.
This is not really true. For example as Amumu his passive reduce's enemies MR by 40, and i usually get an abyssal scepter for him, so i have a -70 reduction to enemies MR. Most games there are at least 2-3 enemies with less then 70 MR so they do in fact go negative.

As for going negative with armor, Black Cleaver alone reduces armor by 62 and if you add in a starks fervor it goes to -87, which makes it easy to get someone below 0.

Candesce

01-06-2010

Don't forget Exhaust with mastery, either.

Kelin

01-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbsunny View Post
This is not really true. For example as Amumu his passive reduce's enemies MR by 40, and i usually get an abyssal scepter for him, so i have a -70 reduction to enemies MR. Most games there are at least 2-3 enemies with less then 70 MR so they do in fact go negative.

As for going negative with armor, Black Cleaver alone reduces armor by 62 and if you add in a starks fervor it goes to -87, which makes it easy to get someone below 0.
Don't forget nassus spirit fire, also perfectly capable of getting enemies in negative.

Aregionius

Senior Wrenchman

01-06-2010

From the mechanics FAQ

Quote:
Q: What order is armor penetration/MR penetration applied in? (Credit to TiberiusAudley)

A: From top to bottom

Armor/MR Reduction
% Based Armor/MR Penetration
Flat/Linear Armor/MR Penetration

Q: Can you reduce armor or magic resistance below 0?

A: Yes, although the only things that can reduce below 0 is Armor/MR Reduction. Both percentage and flat penetration do not have an effect after they get to 0 armor/MR.
http://leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=3287

myroprax

01-20-2010

ahh this is my faverite thing about taric grab starks and a cleaver plus lvl 5 shatter equals -115 armor now most casters only have about 60 thats negative 50 armor which is plus 30 percent dmg