Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

How do you feel about the state of Spell Vamp?

Spellvamp is fine where it is. 2 15.38%
There need to be 1-3 new spell vamp items added to the game. 10 76.92%
The current items need to be reworked to give more spellvamp options to manaless champions. 1 7.69%
Voters 13 .

Where is the Spell Vamp?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

StyleKrong

12-20-2013

So, if anyone is a fan of spell vamp, you'll notice that Spirit of the Spectral wraith has had this attribute replaced with a monster exclusive version, and Will of the Ancients now has mana regeneration. What are champions like Zac, Vladimir, Mordekaiser, Katarina, and Akali supposed to build for sustain now? You can choose between these two amazing options, either get mana regeneration on Will of the Ancients for your manaless champion, or get some attack damage with Hextech Gunblade for your AP exclusive build.

Basically, spell vamp has been phased out. Whether or not this was intentional I don't know. In any case, I wanted to bring some attention to the issue. If this is going to be remedied, there either need to be some item reworks or some entirely new items added to the game. Or we can just forget about it and give even more incentive to play an AD meta, because lifesteal is just fine and getting better all the time.

Elphrihaim

12-20-2013

Dude

New WotA is more cost-efficient for manaless Champions than old SotSW

I don't know what your problem is D: Everybody seems to miss the fact that this is the case.

Partholonian

12-20-2013

Two of the champions you named are assassins, why would they even want to build sustain, and is it really a good idea to make it easier for them to succeed at it? Furthermore, if they do, it's probably going to be as part of a more fighterish build anyway, so some ad wouldn't be a bad thing.

And the others are just fine building some tank items with straight up health regen, aren't they? Spellvamp has never been the only way to regain health. It's just health regen that only works when you have something to cast spells on (and resources, if any). So why not build regular health regen?

Maybe they should add some health regen + ap items for people like Morde, instead of or in addition to spellvamp. There's a few max health + ap, but that's not the same in extended sieges and the like.

BaronVonSlicey

12-20-2013

Well gee, I don't see any reason why Riot would want to limit a stat that can result in burst healing of +500hp or more late game or result in infinite lane sustain for manaless champions, while also giving mana-based champions a chance to be able to somewhat use its sustain in lane without running out of mana super quickly.
The only reason lifesteal is viable as a stat is because everyone has the same access to using it - there are no mana costs on auto attacking, there is no 2-25 second cooldown on it, and it really does not wildly differ in the damage potential of it from champion to champion. I'd like to see you argue that spellvamp does the same.
In my opinion - Spellvamp hasn't been phased out at all. Because it was never phased in to begin with. Old WotA had the same issues as the new one, just less apparent. The new one makes you spend excess gold on mana regeneration - a worthless stat. The old one made you spend excess gold on the aura - a complete waste for yourself. Riot has always limited spellvamp, and will continue to do so, simply because it is a stat that is impossible to balance in a viable state.

The5lacker

12-20-2013

Quote:
BaronVonSlicey:
Well gee, I don't see any reason why Riot would want to limit a stat that can result in burst healing of +500hp or more late game or result in infinite lane sustain for manaless champions, while also giving mana-based champions a chance to be able to somewhat use its sustain in lane without running out of mana super quickly.
The only reason lifesteal is viable as a stat is because everyone has the same access to using it - there are no mana costs on auto attacking, there is no 2-25 second cooldown on it, and it really does not wildly differ in the damage potential of it from champion to champion. I'd like to see you argue that spellvamp does the same.
In my opinion - Spellvamp hasn't been phased out at all. Because it was never phased in to begin with. Old WotA had the same issues as the new one, just less apparent. The new one makes you spend excess gold on mana regeneration - a worthless stat. The old one made you spend excess gold on the aura - a complete waste for yourself. Riot has always limited spellvamp, and will continue to do so, simply because it is a stat that is impossible to balance in a viable state.

I've yet to see an ability capable of doing 2500 damage to a single target. Or 7500 damage between multiple targets.