Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Shyvana skins : Why the skin tone changes?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Overlord Forte

12-18-2013

Hello,

I'm curious as to the reasoning why all of Shyvana's alternate costumes, her skin tone is completely changed? Ice Drake Shyvana I can understand, due to the direct connection of white skin and winter snow ... but why Darkflame, Ironscale, and Boneclaw?

It perturbs me because she has such a nice skin tone in her original design, but that's completely swapped out for another type entirely. I have a bit of a mental disconnect because the exotic skin tone I attribute as being so much apart of her. I'm hard pressed to think of any other character that has had this kind of treatment, possibly Nidalee?

Would it be too damaging to the alternate costumes to have her skin tone changed to match her original?

Overlord Forte

07-02-2014

Bumping, question still unanswered :/

Overlord Forte

07-14-2014

Bump~

No quick thoughts on the art process about this?

Trucklos

07-15-2014

different skins have different colors?

Overlord Forte

07-15-2014

Quote:
Trucklos:
different skins have different colors?

She's among the few (perhaps the only, if memory serves) to radically have her skin tone change from her default skin to the others.

Ice Drake I could understand because possessed by Ice and what not, right? The same theme change follows some other champion skins, so that's not really different.

The other three is ... ok, so what was the memo there? To perhaps see it from another angle, consider this : Riven's white in her original skin, but all her alternative skins become much darker (brown/black/etc). If she got an ice themed skin with blue/frozen skin, no problem, fits the theme. So why are the rest a completely different skin tone if the theme isn't changing them?

It feels like a really peculiar exception or possible oversight, hence why I inquire to the art design reasoning.

Amy Khal

07-17-2014

If you look at Karma's chinese skins, the default she's black and the others she's a white anime girl and it looks very weird when on NA she doesn't.

RustyMuFFins

07-17-2014

Probably just pure aesthetic. Her default skin probably just isn't that popular (I don't know anyone who likes it -myself included.) I say this as an ardent Shyv-lover. I don't really jungle with anyone other than her.
In a game that makes bank on selling via attractive splash art for the collector in us all, they probably went for a more human look to literally make her more attractive. Honestly, name more than 3 ugly female champs in this game. I don't think I could.

Now could Shyv's skin tone be retained, certainly, but there's always the sales value in ***-appeal and Riot doesn't do what it could to keep skins like that attractive by virtue of attachment with lore like this: http://www.league-art.com/shyvana/

If you gave me a little blue Shyv in a red dress like that, I'd totally play her. The story tugs at the heartstrings and endears you to her despite her appearance. Without something like that Shyv looks inhuman, but not cool like a giant pharaoh dog or weirdly good-looking plant like Zyra. The grey skin and weird helm does that. The helm and splash art-itself probably has more to do with it than anything, but when trying to sell without novel value isn't this a better pitch? http://rustymuffins.deviantart.com/art/League-of-Legends-Shyvana-398724693

Edit: Something like this would probably mitigate some of the default skin distance: http://amylrun.deviantart.com/art/Shyvana-314746791

Overlord Forte

07-18-2014

Quote:
RustyMuFFins:
Probably just pure aesthetic. Her default skin probably just isn't that popular (I don't know anyone who likes it -myself included.) I say this as an ardent Shyv-lover. I don't really jungle with anyone other than her.
In a game that makes bank on selling via attractive splash art for the collector in us all, they probably went for a more human look to literally make her more attractive. Honestly, name more than 3 ugly female champs in this game. I don't think I could.

Now could Shyv's skin tone be retained, certainly, but there's always the sales value in ***-appeal and Riot doesn't do what it could to keep skins like that attractive by virtue of attachment with lore like this: http://www.league-art.com/shyvana/

If you gave me a little blue Shyv in a red dress like that, I'd totally play her. The story tugs at the heartstrings and endears you to her despite her appearance. Without something like that Shyv looks inhuman, but not cool like a giant pharaoh dog or weirdly good-looking plant like Zyra. The grey skin and weird helm does that. The helm and splash art-itself probably has more to do with it than anything, but when trying to sell without novel value isn't this a better pitch? http://rustymuffins.deviantart.com/art/League-of-Legends-Shyvana-398724693

Edit: Something like this would probably mitigate some of the default skin distance: http://amylrun.deviantart.com/art/Shyvana-314746791

Boneclaw and Ironscale both deployed at the same time with her Classic skin, though, so what would've been the metric to determine popularity when all three hit at the same time? If the internal art team was that divided her classic skin tone wasn't good, they could've changed it no problem at that point.

Without her Draconic characteristics, as you seem to mention, how are her alternative skins 'cool'? Ice Drake and Darkflame retains traits from the original but Ironscale and Boneclaw are basically more generic human productions. I mean, take away the dragon gauntlets and one is a milita soldier in plate and the other is Shaman/Tribal-esque. Original conveys as a draconic sense in the armor itself with the scale plating and helm, as you essentially point out.

RustyMuFFins

07-19-2014

Quote:
Overlord Forte:
Boneclaw and Ironscale both deployed at the same time with her Classic skin

This I did know and it renders my hypothesis invalid.

I was just guessing based on likelihood. As for why Ironscale and Ice Drake seem to be so popular (At least I've noticed them to be the most popular) refer to the second link in my previous post -no helm. I think players in-general like being able to see their champ's faces particularly good-looking women whether there's ***-appeal or not since Ironscale covers her up everywhere else. I honestly like the combination. I recall there being a big to-do over Diana'a Dark Valkyrie skin. I believe the original concept had a helm. There was also some fuss over Atlantean Syndra's helm covering the eyes (amidst all the other complaints.) Also, other than Aetherwing Kayle, the skins I see the most on Kayle players are the un-helmed ones. That just seems to be a thing.

So why does Ice Drake work then? The helm isn't ugly and the skin overall is rather sexy. *** sells. What can I say?

As for the varied skin colors released at launch... I have no ****ing idea.

Overlord Forte

07-19-2014

Quote:
RustyMuFFins:
This I did know and it renders my hypothesis invalid.

I was just guessing based on likelihood. As for why Ironscale and Ice Drake seem to be so popular (At least I've noticed them to be the most popular) refer to the second link in my previous post -no helm. I think players in-general like being able to see their champ's faces particularly good-looking women whether there's ***-appeal or not since Ironscale covers her up everywhere else. I honestly like the combination. I recall there being a big to-do over Diana'a Dark Valkyrie skin. I believe the original concept had a helm. There was also some fuss over Atlantean Syndra's helm covering the eyes (amidst all the other complaints.) Also, other than Aetherwing Kayle, the skins I see the most on Kayle players are the un-helmed ones. That just seems to be a thing.

So why does Ice Drake work then? The helm isn't ugly and the skin overall is rather sexy. *** sells. What can I say?

As for the varied skin colors released at launch... I have no ****ing idea.

Diana's helmet was retroactively removed because it made her 'too much like Syndra'. People complained that wasn't the case, but Riot disagreed.
Atlantean Syndra's helm complaint comes from the fact it's a straight export of Lissandra's gimmick. The same problem also applies with Justicar, though.
The issue with women's helmets seems to be the uninspired copy over from each other, rather than their heads being covered up.

I'm not convinced '*** sells' is the strongest suit for these skins. It's the LCD for general market penetration, yes, and I'm more inclined to suspect thematic reasoning might be it.