@Riot The skill range in Bronze needs to be reconciled.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zdravko TERA

Senior Member

12-17-2013

I've seen people who can get 200cs in 20 minutes and i've seen people with 30cs in 20 in Silver II-IV, Silver/Bronze both have disgusting skill variances.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TTA Demetrio

Senior Member

12-17-2013

I've been playing now for over a year, I rushed to 30 and immediately jumped into ranked.

I was placed in silver at the end of S2, however, throughout S3 fell down to Bronze 5. It has been a long, miserable, hair-pulling climb but I am now in Silver 1, knocking on Gold's door. In my opinion, I agree with the original poster. There are huge differences in skill level within bronze. I have found that once you hit silver the variance begins to shrink, and I assume that as you climb tiers this variance continues to shrink. My wife has been playing as long as I have, however, she is still in the bronze tier. When we duo, the difference between higher silver and lower bronze is quite noticeable.

AFK's happen across the board, unfortunately so do trolls, ragers, and the immature children. There are people who do not understand the bigger picture and these people belong in the lower bronze levels. It is the people trying to climb out and trying to improve their skills that need attention from Riot. These are the people enjoying and investing in your game, and deserve the nod.

Just my two cents.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Neo Cyrus

Senior Member

12-17-2013

I agree that bronze should be a prize, something to earn, not something handed for free to everyone. 800 Elo is Bronze 5. There are apparently players literally in the 100s, at least according to the hilarious 0-300 Elo stream I watch. Hell even the discrepancy in Silver/Gold is massive.

Maybe something like this:
0-799 - Unranked
800-999 - Apprentice/Whatever
1000-1199 - Bronze
1200-1399 - Silver
1400-1599 - Gold
1600-1799 - Platinum
1800-1999 - Ruby/Sapphire
2000-2199 - Emerald
2200-2499 - Diamond
2500+ - Challenger

Challenger should be expanded. And yes I know gems are not valued in that order but by a million factors, this is just an example, I'm saying there need to be more leagues all around and more room in Challenger.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ultra Milozilla

Senior Member

12-17-2013

It was a mistake to make bronze represent too much of the community their should be something below bronze like unranked or wood.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Capitan Rick

Senior Member

12-17-2013

I agree with the op, theres too many people who don't understand nuances of the game. Its hard to explain in about 5 sec why you need to push this tower, why its good to get the dragon now. Far too often even if you get fed you cant close out games because your team is oblivious to the fact pushing turrets is a thing and that maybe sometimes you can leave your lane for a purpose.

Really the tutorial for the game needs to be better, there needs to be a tutorial again for ranked about game mecanics and important things to know about when to splitpush, how ur lane isnt the only one in existence. Map awareness.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KSHarrison

Senior Member

12-17-2013

Also agree. Need more mechanical depth to the game. Another dimension for skill would sift out players in a more even distribution.

The current mechanism of separating relies too much on understanding abstract variables like positioning and trade/teamfighting assessment, or especially aggressively turning an advantage into results. I don't think it's a metric that most players can respond to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTA Demetrio View Post

AFK's happen across the board, unfortunately so do trolls, ragers, and the immature children. There are people who do not understand the bigger picture and these people belong in the lower bronze levels. It is the people trying to climb out and trying to improve their skills that need attention from Riot. These are the people enjoying and investing in your game, and deserve the nod.

Just my two cents.
Definitely agree here. A major source of frustration in this game that pulls down potentially well-behaved players is the toxicity of trolls. I wonder if the honor initiative could take a more influential role in dealing with this. For example, it could introduce a new method applied only to Bronze, where queue times aren't really an issue, and sort players based on reports of good behavior / lack of tribunal punishments.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KSHarrison

Senior Member

12-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Cyrus View Post

Maybe something like this:
0-799 - Abyss
800-999 - Dirt
1000-1199 - Stone
1200-1399 - Wood
1400-1599 - Bronze
1600-1799 - Silver
1800-1999 - Gold
2000-2199 - Platinum
2200-2499 - Diamond
2500+ - Challenger
No need to introduce confusing gems. lol

No but I suspect the issue is not just related to how bronze is sorted, although I could be wrong. I would think it also has to do with the idea that the bulk of players are around the same elo, so they all congregate in/populate lower divisions -- in other words, too many players around the same average game performance. If you have 90% of players around say, a 5/10 in skill level, and the remaining 10% distributes itself over a 6/10, 7/10, 8/10, 9/10, and 10/10 skill range, you would have 90% of the people stuck in the lowest league, while the remaining 10% is allocated between the higher leagues. It might be that introducing new leagues or breaking up Bronze and Silver leagues into more divisions would function primarily as a psychological band-aid for a group of players relatively similar in their game performance.

But I could be wrong in that assessment.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hydoid

Senior Member

12-17-2013

That's why the elo system works and this does not. The better you are the higher number you are.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JefzyPress

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

12-17-2013

i carried bronze IV to silver 3 in 2 day u suck ***** gtfo ur nothing different than them


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TioMono

Senior Member

12-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveSparkle View Post
Oh this old dress? I bought it on sale from JC Penney. :3

--

Despite the massive downvote spam you got, you're right. Players that actually put effort in learning the game and trying to improve over just playing for fun will naturally climb faster.
And this is also what the original poster is saying. But if your in bronze 1 but your skill level is actually around silver 3. You will not get out of bronze. The range of completely clueless people you can get matched with is insane. It does not matter how good you are personally when you have 1 or 2 team members that just ignore common sense. People like an adc that pushes to 2nd turret with no wards at all in enemy jungle. Or the people that seem to think baron is the win button and do not ward enemy jungle or get any lane pressure anywhere before trying to take it.

I know mechanically I am bad at this game. But I feel as far as map awareness/strategy goes I am slightly above average, not amazing but at least thinking about it which is above average. When you can look at the map and tell someone "hey bein out there is risky without wards" and they just ignore you and get collapsed on by 3 enemies and they do this all game longyou are not going to win that game. I have seen lcs players doing bronze smurfs and "laughing at the baddies" in one game then the next they are frustrated because "OMG team too heavy gg noobs"

The original posters point is that currently in bronze the gap in game knowledge/skill level can make it extremely frustrating to play.