Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

What's the point of buying Doran's Blade?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

F0rkerizm

12-14-2013

I play ADC a lot and I was wondering why people buy Doran's Blade 1 pot over Long Sword 3 pots. The long sword gives 10 AD and it can transform into a Vampiric Scepter. Meanwhile, Doran's blade only gives 8 AD plus 80 health and gives 3 health on hit, but that really doesn't seem that good considering it doesn't transform into anything. So, what's the point of buying Doran's Blade?

JustMyBassCannon

Recruiter

12-14-2013

Stat efficiency.

Long Sword's worth 95% of the gold you spend on it, while Doran's Blade is worth 110% what you spend not including the flat lifesteal effect. The bonus stats are enough of a boost that if you get kills early, you don't have to worry about selling it later because you made up the difference anyway.

Not that I use Doran's items either.

MadmanWithBox

12-14-2013

I'm not a very good or aggressive ADC (as a matter of fact I avoid the role if at all possible), so I tend to ignore both and start with Boots and four Pots. Gives me enough survivability and sustain to stay in lane and farm longer than my opponent. Makes me feel safe.

Partholonian

12-15-2013

The point is to use the stronger stats to dominate the laning phase. Then you buy something else and eventually sell the Doran's item.

fasgf

12-16-2013

80 HP
8 AD
+3 hp on hit for ranged (+5 for melee)

Most ADCs start Doran's Blade because it's gold efficient. Also, if you run lifesteal runes you get some decent sustain. After a few levels you'll get +10 hp per autoattack with just some lifesteal runes. Think about how often you autoattack as an ADC. If you're running longsword 3 pots, you'll eventually run out of sustain and be forced to go back and buy. At this time you'll probably lose some CS and exp, which will only help the enemy ADC/support. The +80 hp is also very significant.