Thoughta of Diana's skin?

Good 486 24.34%
Needs Slight alterations 631 31.60%
Should have scratched it and restarted. 880 44.07%
Voters: 1997. You may not vote on this poll

So this Diana Skin..

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

medium katarina

12-16-2013

i like the skin i wish her Q and w were purple but i like it ._.

Tortferngatr

12-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artifictional View Post
Maybe instead of working on a skin that a full half of those sampled are completely against, you maybe revert the nerfs to dark Valkyrie Diana?
It's GD, and the audience for Lunar Goddess Diana isn't GD.

Artifictional

12-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhunter228 View Post
That's not the point.

The point is that this skin doesn't live up to expectations. Diana doesn't have a good skin, and this was their opportunity to give her one. Other champions can get away with having a meh skin or two, but that's because they have good skins already (Riven has Redeemed and Battle Bunny, Tryndamere has Demonblade).

They couldn't afford to give Diana an average skin, and that's what they did.

They squandered their opportunity, because they rushed it to make the Lunar Revel. IronStylus is better than this, I don't feel like he had the time he wanted for this one.
A million times this, it just seems like this was a rushed after thought because there wasn't enough lunar revel content ready, instead of a well designed skin of the quality IronStylus usually delivers.

Calico Queen

12-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Gunna take a slightly hard line when responding so this, so excuse me, not trying to be confrontational, just trying to keep it all in perspective.

There are some amazing skin concepts floating around for her. I know of two of them off-hand. The "Eclipse Diana" and the Blood Moon Diana. Both great concepts. However, Eclipse Diana, to myself and the team, doesn't actually equate to a theme. It's ambiguous at best. It is mostly akin to a recolor, and has a lot of detail that wouldn't break down very well in the game. Is it a beautiful piece of splash art? Yes. Will it make the most becoming in-game asset? My feeling is no.

As for Blood Moon Diana, indeed, that's a really great concept, but wasn't quite pushed enough. Do I think it has legs as a concept? Absolutely, it would just need to be pushed and have the right support behind it. I also feel it might have been a bit of a departure in some ways with the kimono. I'm not sure Diana's silhouette would have been preserved.

About the second half of your feedback, you're taking a pretty hyperbolic approach I feel. Emotions such as disappointment, hatred, grief, sorrow, anger, confusion and shock are pretty strong emotions when we're just talking about a little piece of content for a big game. Rest assured, there will be plenty of opportunities for more Diana skins. There's going to be many chances. A skin would have been out for her sooner but Lunar Revel appeared to be a good a time as any to make something special for her. I concepted about 6 new skins for her before we decided to make a Lunar Revel skin. All of those concepts are viable, and some of them will be done in the future.

On that point, it's only one of many themes we can apply to Diana. Indeed, the Change'E reference it's an Eastern trope, but you're saying that a small part of the player base will appreciate that. I very much disagree. Our player base is not NA alone, nor just these forums alone. The player base is millions of people worldwide. Please keep that in consideration.

This is very much a matter of taste, for a particular skin, for a character which will have many more in her lifetime. I realize the reaction is a mix of feelings very much based on the fact that she hasn't had a skin since launch. That's completely understandable. I'd just like to remind everyone to have a calm approach when reacting to content. Think of the realities, remember that we're always ideating and making new skins and it should leave you with some peace. This isn't the last chance.

Diana will be around for a long time. There are many ideas floating around for her. She's not as intensive as some characters out there to create skins for. Players who love her really love her. Don't worry, more content will come for her.

All that being said, I think this thread has been really informative and helpful. A lot or a little might come from the feedback given. We're on timelines, we have a very talented team, we make informed choices. We're going to deliver something that we feel is appropriate and we're going to keep making new content all the time for people who's taste differs from the flavor that this skin provides.
Thank you for acknowledging the concept of Blood Moon Diana. It would make more sense for it to fall into your gory wartime category and hearing that the concept may be a possibility in the (however near or far) future is exciting. So for the Lunar Revel skin, thank you for using Chang'e as inspiration, it's nice to see Diana appreciated as a goddess.
I am curious as to if there was a thematic reason as to why she is missing her brand though. Maybe I missed it somewhere in this thread.. and if so nevermind.. but if I could have oneish (really two things) changed it would be that her brand returned and her skin was back to it's original pallor. I think if that was changed, people would have an easier time accepting the skin as a Diana skin.
That's all. Again thank you so much. I think you're handling this mess really well and as civilly as one could. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Latvia

12-16-2013

I like the skin a lot, but I feel that her leggings/shoes or whatever are not really well done. Too simple and plain and contrasts with the otherwise regal outfit she dons on her torso/hair.

aceofsween

12-16-2013

Hey Parrot...

I know this is a major pain because cloth is hard to render... But why not make this a dress-type costume? All of the oriental imagery of Chang'e show her in a kimono-type of dress, and if that is where this was originally drawing inspiration from, I think it would hit home a lot more if that aspect of it were retained.

xGal

12-16-2013

Quote:
You honestly think scrapping the skin is a good idea? So.. kill the skin, go back to the drawing board, and have nothing for her for however many months? Don't you think that's a little unreasonable?
I do agree with you on this. Eventhough I don't like the skin much, may not buy it (unless it has an amazing art like Snowstorm Sivir) but there are people gonna like and buy it. If you don't like it, don't buy it. By killing the skin, it has no affect to the people who doesn't buy it but will upset a huge amount of people who are waiting for a Diana's skin

Gixia

12-17-2013

To me, it feels like, it's not so much that the skin is bad, so much as it is that it's not necessarily the ideal skin that people have been waiting for. It's a skin that would've come out, and some people who like it would've bought it, and others who aren't a fan would've just ignored... EXCEPT that Diana's skins are already very lacking at the moment. Despite the fact that skins for Diana don't require as many assets as some other champions, there are still champions who are both newer than her and more difficult to create skins for who have still received something faster than she did. And it's not like this is something new either, there are plenty of champions even older than Diana who have still never received a skin since launch, however in most cases those champions don't have quite the same level of popularity or devotion that Diana has (a fanatic devotion which you can't deny that some Rioters like IronStylus has stoked quite eagerly). Rioters have stated in the past that they strive to give every champion that one skin that really nails their theme, personality, and what the fanbase desires to see from their champ (you know, all that stuff that came up during the Steel Legion Lux fiasco), and while this skin isn't bad, it's not that perfect skin that people have been wanting, and it feels more disappointing because she's been waiting for one for so long. Then add on all the mixed bag of emotions that surrounds Diana's launch skin, and, well... The end result is a fanbase that is virtually guaranteed to be easily riled up.

And while there is nothing saying we won't get another different, perhaps more overall popular skin than the lunar revel one 6 months down the road or something, the amount of time we had to wait just to get this skin does not set a good precedent and is bound to leave people with little hope.

I'm not gonna say scrap this skin, that's completely foolish. It's so close to done at this point that scrapping it would literally accomplish nothing except to needlessly deprive Diana of a skin. And again, I don't think the skin is bad per say, I'll likely buy it myself just cause I usually like to pick up one event skin every time one is held, but I'm going to be disappointed regardless, because just like so many others, at the end of the day I'm still waiting for that perfect Diana skin.

Personal tweaks that I feel might make this skin a bit more palatable:

1. Give her the Jinx treatment, i.e. make her more pale, and just generally do something with her face to make her look a bit more like Diana. Right now, she's got the uniquely shaped weapon, but aside from that she doesn't really look/feel like Diana to me, and a lot of that is in her face.

2. The headress. I know it's a geo thing, and removing it at this point is out of the question. Not asking for that. I also understand that tweaks at this stage are difficult, but one thing I think would be huge is to change the moon-shaped iconography in the center of the headdress to become the Lunari symbol. So essentially she'd have her forehead tattoo, but in headdress form.

The previously mentioned texture tweaks to bracers, etc. to make them a bit more armoured looking might help as well.

Nightingales Sky

12-17-2013

Quote:
Gunna take a slightly hard line when responding so this, so excuse me, not trying to be confrontational, just trying to keep it all in perspective.

There are some amazing skin concepts floating around for her. I know of two of them off-hand. The "Eclipse Diana" and the Blood Moon Diana. Both great concepts. However, Eclipse Diana, to myself and the team, doesn't actually equate to a theme. It's ambiguous at best. It is mostly akin to a recolor, and has a lot of detail that wouldn't break down very well in the game. Is it a beautiful piece of splash art? Yes. Will it make the most becoming in-game asset? My feeling is no.

As for Blood Moon Diana, indeed, that's a really great concept, but wasn't quite pushed enough. Do I think it has legs as a concept? Absolutely, it would just need to be pushed and have the right support behind it. I also feel it might have been a bit of a departure in some ways with the kimono. I'm not sure Diana's silhouette would have been preserved.

About the second half of your feedback, you're taking a pretty hyperbolic approach I feel. Emotions such as disappointment, hatred, grief, sorrow, anger, confusion and shock are pretty strong emotions when we're just talking about a little piece of content for a big game. Rest assured, there will be plenty of opportunities for more Diana skins. There's going to be many chances. A skin would have been out for her sooner but Lunar Revel appeared to be a good a time as any to make something special for her. I concepted about 6 new skins for her before we decided to make a Lunar Revel skin. All of those concepts are viable, and some of them will be done in the future.

On that point, it's only one of many themes we can apply to Diana. Indeed, the Change'E reference it's an Eastern trope, but you're saying that a small part of the player base will appreciate that. I very much disagree. Our player base is not NA alone, nor just these forums alone. The player base is millions of people worldwide. Please keep that in consideration.

This is very much a matter of taste, for a particular skin, for a character which will have many more in her lifetime. I realize the reaction is a mix of feelings very much based on the fact that she hasn't had a skin since launch. That's completely understandable. I'd just like to remind everyone to have a calm approach when reacting to content. Think of the realities, remember that we're always ideating and making new skins and it should leave you with some peace. This isn't the last chance.

Diana will be around for a long time. There are many ideas floating around for her. She's not as intensive as some characters out there to create skins for. Players who love her really love her. Don't worry, more content will come for her.

All that being said, I think this thread has been really informative and helpful. A lot or a little might come from the feedback given. We're on timelines, we have a very talented team, we make informed choices. We're going to deliver something that we feel is appropriate and we're going to keep making new content all the time for people who's taste differs from the flavor that this skin provides.

Honestly... You make no sense Iron. I should say Riot. This company was built on the suggestions and yes the money of your fans and the future fan base. However, what you are telling us is that because of a 'deadline' you can't afford to change the Diana skin because she will have future ones?!

In another year?!

Give me a break Iron, there is no need to beat around the bush. Tell us the truth, you truthfully don't care about any of the suggestions, or the company doesn't. Maybe you are telling the truth and you do care what we have to say and like the ideas. Who knows... What is a fact though is that a MAJORITY of the people who took the poll do not like the skin. AND yet you and or the company insist on pushing it out anyways!

You do realize that majority of the Diana fans would gladly wait another 2 weeks- 1 month for it to be re-made into the image it should be. I mean hell, we all waited well over a year and you can't even give us the courtesy of change?! Okay I get it, the lunar skins are coming out and 2 out of 3 are great. So you have a 66.6% sale rate on two fan bases. Is it because the Diana community only accounts for 33.3% that Riot has no interest in remodeling her?

Lets be honest Parrot, with 74 pages over 1000 poll votes, and suggestions out the ass you come up with

"There are some amazing skin concepts floating around for her. I know of two of them off-hand. The "Eclipse Diana" and the Blood Moon Diana. Both great concepts. However, Eclipse Diana, to myself and the team, doesn't actually equate to a theme. It's ambiguous at best. It is mostly akin to a recolor, and has a lot of detail that wouldn't break down very well in the game. Is it a beautiful piece of splash art? Yes. Will it make the most becoming in-game asset? My feeling is no.

As for Blood Moon Diana, indeed, that's a really great concept, but wasn't quite pushed enough. Do I think it has legs as a concept? Absolutely, it would just need to be pushed and have the right support behind it. I also feel it might have been a bit of a departure in some ways with the kimono. I'm not sure Diana's silhouette would have been preserved. "

'BUT BE ASSURED! We will give her a donky looking headdress that covers her MOON symbol even though she is suppose to look like a MOON goddess. We will also get rid of her SCAR that she got from fighting agents of the SUN. OH but hey the ideas y'all had... just too ambiguous for Diana. You know, cause it would make no sense to have a MOON champion be in black and white. OR even the BLOOD moon.."

Please, you know what it's all good. Cause you aren't getting my money with a horrible skin like that.

Ro11MeAnotherJ

12-17-2013

Quote:
You honestly think scrapping the skin is a good idea? So.. kill the skin, go back to the drawing board, and have nothing for her for however many months? Don't you think that's a little unreasonable?
what is unreasonable is how lazy this skin is ... you changed her skin,cloths and her w a little bit not even her sword ... i could be wrong but I don't think its fair for diana .. you said you like her then help her