Thoughta of Diana's skin?

Good 486 24.34%
Needs Slight alterations 631 31.60%
Should have scratched it and restarted. 880 44.07%
Voters: 1997. You may not vote on this poll

So this Diana Skin..

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Eyrgos

Senior Member

12-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Why does this skin mean no Diana skins for a while? We're talking what.. 6 months or more? I don't feel that's the end of the world. Also, if we have an opportunity, then we'll make something new and awesome.
Sorry Parrot, you know I very much respect & appreciate you.

But when you try to call out hyperbolic statements elsewhere in this thread & devise a statement like this... it's hurtful & appears ignorant/unfounded.

The reason why it means no Diana skins for a while is this:

Zyra – 7/24/2012
Haunted Zyra – 11/29/2013
1yr 4mo 5d

Diana – 08/07/2012
Lunar Goddess Diana – 12/??/2013
1yr 4mo ?d

Rengar – 8/21/2012
??? - ???
1yr 3mo 25d & counting

Syndra – 09/13/2012
??? - ???
1yr 3mo 3d & counting

Kha’Zix – 09/27/2012
??? - ???
1yr 2mo 19d & counting

Elise – 10/26/2012
Victorious Elise – 11/11/2013
1yr 0mo 15d & exclusive/limited

Zed – 11/13/2012
??? - ???
1yr 1mo 3d & counting

Nami – 12/07/2012
??? - ???
1yr 0mo 9d & counting

Quinn – 01/03/2013
??? - ???
0yr 11mo 13d & counting

ZAC – 03/29/2013
??? - ???
0yr 8mo 17d & counting

As you can see, this' merely a listing of champions awaiting or having recently received their first post-release skins.

To place the low-end delimiter at 6 months, even despite the "and more", feels like a slap in the face to us who try to wait patiently.

Especially when you consider champions like Tryndamere & Riven who will now have 6 & 7 skins respectively.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Komori Kiri

Senior Member

12-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
You honestly think scrapping the skin is a good idea? So.. kill the skin, go back to the drawing board, and have nothing for her for however many months? Don't you think that's a little unreasonable?
I agree. However I wrote 3 constructive posts so you might as well read them instead of answering the only thing you found that could be misunderstood.

I pointed the numbers. I never said you should scrap them. You can't. I said it in one of the posts you didn't read. ;-)

However since it's obvious this skin does not deliver what half of the players were expecting, you can push another one in the schedule to be released before march. (or april)

That's what a player-focused company would do. ;-)


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Makishima

Senior Member

12-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
You honestly think scrapping the skin is a good idea? So.. kill the skin, go back to the drawing board, and have nothing for her for however many months? Don't you think that's a little unreasonable?
You scrap it to admit it was a mistake and a skin that is unacceptable for what you guys should be trying to sell to us. We want decent skins, for good prices. This skin, the summoner icons, the recent splash arts, its been horrible. Idk what you guys are doing over at the art department but its been such garbage.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vempyre

Senior Member

12-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labcown View Post
Disclaimer: While I feel the concept and direction of this skin is spot on, the execution is the part I currently have trouble accepting. Overall I'm not overly thrilled, but I understand it's not finished, but I feel that it deserves more than just "polish" to make it a great skin.

Onto the quote, the things of it is, most games don't even have a good shelf-life of 6 months, so when you say that we won't see another skin for her in 6 months, it may not be a long length of time for someone who's working in the industry, but for gamers, 6 months is HUGE.

On top of that, I'd like to address another one of your statements. The one about Eclipse Diana being just a recolor. What's wrong with that?

I remember when the new skin price tiering came out, we asked if we would see skins that would be 520 again or not, and the answer was yes. But from your response, it seems as though EVERY skin that comes out now NEEDS a Theme, while I'm here to say, I'd be okay with an "express" recolor skin that while high-detailed, didn't transform the theme of a character. Just as long as too many didn't flood the market. I'm sure many other summoners would agree too.

I love that you guys are constantly pushing the quality of your work and try to raise your standard every time, but there comes a point where pushing quality will take an excessive amount of time and the trade off of Quantity vs Quality will favor say putting out 3 recolor skins as opposed to putting out that one fancy 1350 skin, and dare I say we are getting close to that point where more players would like to see More skins versus That One Extremely Nice Skin once every 2 months.

Which also comes back to the discussion at hand. We've noticed the slowing trends on skins and are getting ever critical of each new skin that comes out because we know we won't be seeing another one for awhile. So while everyone's emotions are running high in this thread, part of it stems from that fact and justly so IMO.

I feel as this is one of the better posts ever on GD.


The theme of the skin itself is really cool, just the execution is pretty bleh.

Heck, I feel as if you could please a lot of people ( myself included ) if you changed the color scheme a bit, on her armor / dress and her skin and face. The hair thing is just a personal preference gripe ( I feel as if she'd be best with her hair let down )

It's more or less a thing of " Riot you were so close to making this skin a smash hit, just there's a lot of EASILY fixable blunders in it.)


She doesn't look like Diana at all but can easily be recognizable with just the slightest SLIGHTEST of alterations and it's driving me bonkers. You did it with Jinx's Base skin, this should be no sweat.

We get she's inspired off of the culture and this moon god, but she isn't a character from Smite, she's still Diana, and you just need to tweak a thing here and there and I believe she will be Diana, one of Riot's greatest works re-incarnated as the god of the heavenly body that she worships. Not tanned Sakura Karma looking lady.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bileam

Junior Member

12-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
You honestly think scrapping the skin is a good idea? So.. kill the skin, go back to the drawing board, and have nothing for her for however many months? Don't you think that's a little unreasonable?
I dont think its unreasonable at all its kinda like yasuo release skin imo a samurai has no reason to be a cowboy it shoulda been scraped if u wanna pay homage to awsome spaghetti westerns like the good bad and the ugly shoulda made it for graves. This new diana skin isent as dark or cool looking as it should be needs different hair, clothes and skin tone to be more pale imo its worth scrapping to make somthing more epic for her in the long run that diana fans will all love.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LightEntite

Senior Member

12-16-2013

i like this skin.

I dont get the qq


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vempyre

Senior Member

12-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyrgos View Post
Sorry Parrot, you know I very much respect & appreciate you.

But when you try to call out hyperbolic statements elsewhere in this thread & devise a statement like this... it's hurtful & appears ignorant/unfounded.

The reason why it means no Diana skins for a while is this:

Zyra – 7/24/2012
Haunted Zyra – 11/29/2013
1yr 4mo 5d

Diana – 08/07/2012
Lunar Goddess Diana – 12/??/2013
1yr 4mo ?d

Rengar – 8/21/2012
??? - ???
1yr 3mo 25d & counting

Syndra – 09/13/2012
??? - ???
1yr 3mo 3d & counting

Kha’Zix – 09/27/2012
??? - ???
1yr 2mo 19d & counting

Elise – 10/26/2012
Victorious Elise – 11/11/2013
1yr 0mo 15d & exclusive/limited

Zed – 11/13/2012
??? - ???
1yr 1mo 3d & counting

Nami – 12/07/2012
??? - ???
1yr 0mo 9d & counting

Quinn – 01/03/2013
??? - ???
0yr 11mo 13d & counting

ZAC – 03/29/2013
??? - ???
0yr 8mo 17d & counting

As you can see, this' merely a listing of champions awaiting or having recently received their first post-release skins.

To place the low-end delimiter at 6 months, even despite the "and more", feels like a slap in the face to us who try to wait patiently.

Especially when you consider champions like Tryndamere & Riven who will now have 6 & 7 skins respectively.
Don't forget Darius, who came out the same Summer as Diana and has had 2 skins released for him + 1 semi previewed ( Dunk Master )

Hecarim too.

Lulu is about to get her 4th skin as well.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

turkeyBACON

Senior Member

12-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
You honestly think scrapping the skin is a good idea? So.. kill the skin, go back to the drawing board, and have nothing for her for however many months? Don't you think that's a little unreasonable?
Unreasonable? No, not really. You guys have trashed lots of work or changed then significantly when it just wasn't working before i.e. Omen, Magma Chamber v1, Lux v1, and battle soraka skin. Would it be difficult and ultimately the least desirable option? yes. But unreasonable? no.

I think this skin can be salvaged, but I don't think it'll be as good as a skin that was re-concepted from scratch. I personally feel like if you guys were going to do a departure skin that it should embrace that concept fully. You guys have pulled it off with Syndra and Aatrox; I'm certain you could pull off one for Diana. You guys should have went much closer to the Chinese moon goddess idea. What you have now and what your proposing for changes seems to just muddying the idea down further. I think flowy Chinese silks and bright colors could work for Diana IF she still felt powerful/cold/etheral/etc. Armour doesn't define Diana, it's her strong convictions/personality. Right now the skin feels too broad and shallow in how its trying to please everybody. It frankly feels like the way foreign food tastes when its watered down for American palettes: hints at something exciting and new but ultimately bland.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Daemon

Senior Member

12-16-2013

Wait, Dunkmaster Darius is going to be a thing? (I took a rather long break). Ahahaha, that's awesome.

Back on topic: MAKE MORE DIANA SKINS PLS


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FatedTitan

Senior Member

12-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
You honestly think scrapping the skin is a good idea? So.. kill the skin, go back to the drawing board, and have nothing for her for however many months? Don't you think that's a little unreasonable?

Not to be rude, but you've said that you had a Diana skin almost ready, then scrapped it when this opportunity came along. What's the difference? Why not show people what that was?