Thoughta of Diana's skin?

Good 484 24.27%
Needs Slight alterations 630 31.59%
Should have scratched it and restarted. 880 44.13%
Voters: 1994. You may not vote on this poll

So this Diana Skin..

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

12-16-2013
23 of 27 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellioning View Post
While I agree with you in principle, and I admire how your 'hardline stance' is a lot nicer then most people's 'trying to be lenient', I feel you missed the one point that the original post actually made. This skin means no new Diana skins for a while. That makes sense, don't want to focus too much on one champion. The problem is how long is 'a while'? Is it however long it took Zyra to get a new skin? How about Soraka? Karma?

You get to see the failed skin concepts. You know how far along Dragon Master Swain is (assuming that's still a thing). We don't. As far as we know, whoever leads the skin team is forcing everyone to make Teemo and Annie skins because Phreak likes them. While I agree his post was hyperbolic and unhelpful, I have to sympathize. You have issues with proper skin releases. I feel sorry for all the Yorick mains.
Why does this skin mean no Diana skins for a while? We're talking what.. 6 months or more? I don't feel that's the end of the world. Also, if we have an opportunity, then we'll make something new and awesome. As I've said, she would have had a skin out earlier except that skin was pushed in order to make room for Lunar Revel. In all honesty, that proposed skin was more like the "Eclipse Diana", but honestly, I wasn't really happy with it in it's simplicity, and it would have crowded out other skins. The Change'E inspiration was elegant, unique, and something we'd certainly not get a chance to do for a while. So, even if you're not partial to it, we've at least got it checked off the list and can move onto more ideas that hopefully you will like.

Zyra is a very particular case. Zyra has pretty much the most skin assets in our entire game. Making skins for her is extremely demanding and requires a ton of work in terms of model assets, VFX and animations. Diana is definitely easier than that.

Also, remember. You're pretty much talking to the guy who wants TONS of skins for Diana. I want an elegant skin along the lines of Eclipse, I want something crazy gory along the lines of Blood Lord Vlad, I'd like to see the Solari Diana come to life, and I'd REALLY like to see a bananas crazy legendary skin for her at some point where she's all Awakened Being or something nuts. Believe me, I have some ideas.

I understand the lack of some transparency, and I'll do what I can to advocate for more. I don't know if that'll happen. Not everyone is as active as I am or likes.. ya know.. writing.

Again, I do like that we're having this discussion. I treat the votes in this poll as saying half of the people voting for the skin like it so long as it has a few tweaks, and for the others, it's not their particular cup of tea as it stands on PBE, which isn't even it's finished state. If it's not those people's favorite, no problem. There will be more skins to come for her.

BesouroDeRaio

12-16-2013

One more variation:

Name:  diana_final.jpg
Views: 1426
Size:  69.8 KB

- Less saturation
- Purple harmony color
- Added some drawings on her dress
- A mix between the default and pale skin tone

Psyclone Joker

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Gunna take a slightly hard line when responding so this, so excuse me, not trying to be confrontational, just trying to keep it all in perspective.

There are some amazing skin concepts floating around for her. I know of two of them off-hand. The "Eclipse Diana" and the Blood Moon Diana. Both great concepts. However, Eclipse Diana, to myself and the team, doesn't actually equate to a theme. It's ambiguous at best. It is mostly akin to a recolor, and has a lot of detail that wouldn't break down very well in the game. Is it a beautiful piece of splash art? Yes. Will it make the most becoming in-game asset? My feeling is no.

As for Blood Moon Diana, indeed, that's a really great concept, but wasn't quite pushed enough. Do I think it has legs as a concept? Absolutely, it would just need to be pushed and have the right support behind it. I also feel it might have been a bit of a departure in some ways with the kimono. I'm not sure Diana's silhouette would have been preserved.

About the second half of your feedback, you're taking a pretty hyperbolic approach I feel. Emotions such as disappointment, hatred, grief, sorrow, anger, confusion and shock are pretty strong emotions when we're just talking about a little piece of content for a big game. Rest assured, there will be plenty of opportunities for more Diana skins. There's going to be many chances. A skin would have been out for her sooner but Lunar Revel appeared to be a good a time as any to make something special for her. I concepted about 6 new skins for her before we decided to make a Lunar Revel skin. All of those concepts are viable, and some of them will be done in the future.

On that point, it's only one of many themes we can apply to Diana. Indeed, the Change'E reference it's an Eastern trope, but you're saying that a small part of the player base will appreciate that. I very much disagree. Our player base is not NA alone, nor just these forums alone. The player base is millions of people worldwide. Please keep that in consideration.

This is very much a matter of taste, for a particular skin, for a character which will have many more in her lifetime. I realize the reaction is a mix of feelings very much based on the fact that she hasn't had a skin since launch. That's completely understandable. I'd just like to remind everyone to have a calm approach when reacting to content. Think of the realities, remember that we're always ideating and making new skins and it should leave you with some peace. This isn't the last chance.

Diana will be around for a long time. There are many ideas floating around for her. She's not as intensive as some characters out there to create skins for. Players who love her really love her. Don't worry, more content will come for her.

All that being said, I think this thread has been really informative and helpful. A lot or a little might come from the feedback given. We're on timelines, we have a very talented team, we make informed choices. We're going to deliver something that we feel is appropriate and we're going to keep making new content all the time for people who's taste differs from the flavor that this skin provides.
To be honest with you, I'd rather have a skin without a theme that looks amazing than a skin with a clear theme that looks meh or bad.

Hellioning

12-16-2013

Quote:
Why does this skin mean no Diana skins for a while? We're talking what.. 6 months or more? I don't feel that's the end of the world. Also, if we have an opportunity, then we'll make something new and awesome. As I've said, she would have had a skin out earlier except that skin was pushed in order to make room for Lunar Revel. In all honesty, that proposed skin was more like the "Eclipse Diana", but honestly, I wasn't really happy with it in it's simplicity, and it would have crowded out other skins. The Change'E inspiration was elegant, unique, and something we'd certainly not get a chance to do for a while. So, even if you're not partial to it, we've at least got it checked off the list and can move onto more ideas that hopefully you will like.
Because I can't trust Riot when it comes to skin releases. Who's saying that you aren't going to half make another Diana skin in 6 months, then decide it's not up to par and scrap it? Then if we wonder where the new Diana skin is, we get 'Sorry, we didn't think it was good enough.'

And I know it's not a promise, I know that it might take more then 6 months. And sure, Zyra is a special case, but there are so many champions who do not have anywhere near her complexity that don't have as many skins as they perhaps deserve. They have their release skins (or skin, in the case of the newer champs) and that's it. And I wouldn't say that many champs have 'the one' skin that Riot was talking about.

You keep saying 'later, later'. It's been a year since Steel Legion Lux, and there's a bevy of cool ideas for her. Fiora hasn't gotten a skin since last year. Same with Irelia. And those are just champs I care about.

exec3

12-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellioning View Post
This skin means no new Diana skins for a while.
This point I can understand. I don't think Lunar Diana is a bad skin, it's pretty decent imo (and preferable to me because I like joke skins or skins that make a champ notably different from the base which this skin does but some of the ones mentioned don't) but it may just not be the skin the community wants atm. I'm the same with Xmas Sivir, I was extremely disappointed when that skin was announced, not because it was bad, but because that means it's going to be that much longer before we maybe get Pizza Delivery Sivir.

Alice Twilight

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-16-2013

Quote:

Zyra is a very particular case. Zyra has pretty much the most skin assets in our entire game. Making skins for her is extremely demanding and requires a ton of work in terms of model assets, VFX and animations. Diana is definitely easier than that.

Also, remember. You're pretty much talking to the guy who wants TONS of skins for Diana. I want an elegant skin along the lines of Eclipse, I want something crazy gory along the lines of Blood Lord Vlad, I'd like to see the Solari Diana come to life, and I'd REALLY like to see a bananas crazy legendary skin for her at some point where she's all Awakened Being or something nuts. Believe me, I have some ideas.

I understand the lack of some transparency, and I'll do what I can to advocate for more. I don't know if that'll happen. Not everyone is as active as I am or likes.. ya know.. writing.

Again, I do like that we're having this discussion. I treat the votes in this poll as saying half of the people voting for the skin like it so long as it has a few tweaks, and for the others, it's not their particular cup of tea as it stands on PBE, which isn't even it's finished state. If it's not those people's favorite, no problem. There will be more skins to come for her.
Legandary Diana skin where her sword is replaced by a banana confirmed.

ArcticSirius

12-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BesouroDeRaio View Post
One more variation:

Attachment 858908

- Less saturation
- Purple harmony color
- Added some drawings on her dress
- A mix between the default and pale skin tone
I like this better for it has deigns within the dress, and seems more "lunar" like in terms of colors.

deadhopex

12-16-2013

http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com....php?t=4123647

best skin na for a champ

SlumlordThanatos

12-16-2013

Quote:
There are some amazing skin concepts floating around for her. I know of two of them off-hand. The "Eclipse Diana" and the Blood Moon Diana. Both great concepts. However, Eclipse Diana, to myself and the team, doesn't actually equate to a theme. It's ambiguous at best. It is mostly akin to a recolor, and has a lot of detail that wouldn't break down very well in the game. Is it a beautiful piece of splash art? Yes. Will it make the most becoming in-game asset? My feeling is no.
Is that really a bad thing? Didn't we say previously that cheap recolor skins are okay?

I'm pretty sure we did, but we're starting to get a bunch of increasingly complicated skins. It's alright to keep it simple every once in a while, and you guys don't seem to be doing that.

Also, why the downvotes on his latest post? He's trying to work with us here.

Atyres

12-16-2013

Would still like her original skin to go back to its original form...