Thoughta of Diana's skin?

Good 473 23.90%
Needs Slight alterations 629 31.78%
Should have scratched it and restarted. 877 44.32%
Voters: 1979. You may not vote on this poll

So this Diana Skin..

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KSHarrison

12-16-2013

This is meant for Chinese New Years and so it will impact primarily the millions of players who are intimate with Chinese culture. I have more or less zero clue about Chinese culture, so I have no idea what a skin celebrating it should represent or look like. I'm pretty sure 99% of others here are in the same boat. For example, I doubt anyone knew whom the skin represented or anything about Chang E. I am skeptical of applying Western criticism to a concept that is supposed to represent Chinese culture and which Chinese players are supposed to be able to identify with.

It's also for this reason that I wouldn't appeal to Chinese players when trying to design an Independence Day skin. America has a lot of traditional ideals that simply aren't present in Chinese culture, and for an Independence Day skin, these ideals would need to be brought to life. Done correctly, it would embody more than just American flag colors, but the independent, free, and confident American spirit, from the skin's clothing, to animations, to dialogue, concept and splash art.

A skin celebrating Chinese culture deserves the same thing. Their culture is practically the opposite of ours. We are asking the wrong audience here for advice on a skin that is ultimately going to be felt most by a completely different set of people. The chance we are able to conceptually improve it is low, and may equally as well even damage it -- or worse, insult Chinese players, who feel alienated when they receive a skin dedicated to their culture that has enough perceptible Western qualities in it such that it no longer feels Chinese.

Wobiwobi

12-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSHarrison View Post
text...
but the problem is that we are not talking about skin for a champion that have already 4~5 other good skins and pure Chinese skin won't be a big problem but about a champion, with only 1 skin (that was modified trololol), that waited year and half for another one, not to mention that players was asking for new cool/epic/badass/sexy skin whole time... but no one asked for/wanted/expected it will end with Chinese oriented skin with ribbons, hair loops, puffy arms, etc... unless suddenly 90% of Diana players&fans are Asians... last time I checked I'm 100% European guy same as my other friends from EU-W server or American friends from US server, that are also disappointed in this Chinese Diana skin -_-

and since IS said that chances that this skin will be serious changes/modifications are very low or even equal 0 because holidays are coming and there will be other stuff to do in new year, then negative feedback/reaction and overall disappointment will be even bigger

DemonicAuror

12-16-2013

I was so pumped when i heard diana was FINALLY getting a new skin. Then i saw this and it's just meh. I probably wouldn't mind all that much if she had more then the 1 extra skin she got at release, but because this is her first new skin i was expecting something with more oomph, more uniqueness.

KSHarrison

12-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobiwobi View Post
but the problem is that we are not talking about skin for a champion that have already 4~5 other good skins and pure Chinese skin won't be a big problem but about a champion, with only 1 skin (that was modified trololol), that waited year and half for another one, not to mention that players was asking for new cool/epic/badass/sexy skin whole time... but no one asked for/wanted/expected it will end with Chinese oriented skin with ribbons, hair loops, puffy arms, etc... unless suddenly 90% of Diana players&fans are Asians... last time I checked I'm 100% European guy same as my other friends from EU-W server or American friends from US server, that are also disappointed in this Chinese Diana skin -_-

and since IS said that chances that this skin will be serious changes/modifications are very low or even equal 0 because holidays are coming and there will be other stuff to do in new year, then negative feedback/reaction and overall disappointment will be even bigger
That's kind of selfish to me to think that you have a monopoly on a champion's skins, so that a different culture isn't allowed to be first in line for that champ's skins. Asians wait, you aren't allowed to have your turn until Westerners get a skin we like on this champion! If this were an American patriotic skin, a comment like this would have been downvoted to oblivion, and that's the sad part.

At any rate, your comment suggests the concept should be scratched, and actually has nothing to do with what I said in my post.

Hollowed Nijhts

12-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Hey guys, just wanted to pop in here to say thanks and give some thoughts on what I've seen.

First of all, thank you for all this feedback! Honestly, it's a lot of feedback, so if I do get the chance to mess with the skin I'm of course going to have to pick and choose what to do. So, there's a pile of good ideas in here, in the end, I probably won't be able to cater to everyone's tastes (sorry!).

Also, again, A DISCLAIMER. As I've said, I'm going to try to work with the team to see if we can make some edits. Emphasis on try. While there's probably a while between now and Lunar Revel, the holidays are coming up and I'm not sure what sort of bandwidth the team has. We have a lot on our plate, and the last thing I want to do is put pressure on anyone before the end of the year. That said, I'm going to see how the team feels about the feedback. Again, no guarentees. I only say that simply because anything can change, or not change. Things might change drastically, or they might not change at all.

About the general feel of the feedback given and the changes people have suggested. The paintings, drawings and other reference is extremely helpful. It'll help zero in on common trends as I pick through it.

I'm generally a fan of keeping her hair dark, as it's contrast to a rather light skin, especially if I bring some of the values up so they're not so deep, which is something I'm considering, including her skin tone. Though it might be a good idea to go cooler with her hair than a warm brown.

I'm partial to the crown, but I think I might be able to do something with the symbol to emphasize it, cut a hole in it, make it more regal, whatever. Problem is that it's geometry and that might be past the point of changing. I'll have to check.

I'm not in love with the jade mainly because I feel Tryn has that territory covered in this batch of skins. Also, I'm going to shy away from black/white color pallettes, because this is an opportunity to have a bit softer of a feel to the skin over all and her base is pretty monochromatic. I'm going to experiment with things, but my gut is that the purples or at least pastels will probably be the way forward, as referenced in a lot of the Chang'E art people have posted here. There's a softness there that I think is appropriate to the theme of that reference.

I do like the idea of light armor in select places, but not bulky. There's some reference that seems to strike a nice balance between flowing cloth and decorative "armor" or at the very least, thicker material in general.

It's stuff I'm going to try, among other things.

Again, sorry to be a broken record, I hope I can make adjustments. I'll be assisting with the changes if the team thinks it's the way to go, but I can't say anything is for sure.

Thanks a ton for the reference, paintovers, drawings, etc. Really helpful! Thanks very much for keeping this thread overwhelmingly positive! You have no idea how helpful and productive that is. It's inspiring rather than discouraging, and gives me something to actually act upon if there's an opportunity to make changes.

Thanks again!
I feel like you just told us to eff off and nothing is going to change...

Flare0118

12-16-2013

Just got a crazy thought.. Why not make skins for Diana & Leona just like Ryūko Matoi VS Satsuki Kiryūin.
And set an action to change their clothing,maybe taunt?

The Ruined King

12-16-2013

Diana is my baby... and I'm worried about her new skin being not so stellar... but I know she's also your baby, parrot. So I know she's in good hands. <3 Er, talons...?

Enigmatic Soul

12-16-2013

IronStylus, I was curious if you are keeping tabs on the voting poll?
Honestly, to me, it seems as if you are only replying to the people who like the skin.
Diana has been my favorite champion since day one and I have been waiting such a very long time for a second skin. Every time I saw a new skin for champions who already have 4-5+ skins that look freakishly awesome, I thought to myself "that could have been a Diana skin" and I expected something similarly cool for Diana.(Heck that new Riven skin looks pretty cool and makes Diana's skin look like dirt in current state in my opinion)

I understand the skin is incomplete. I like the idea of it being based off of Chang'e because it fits her, but I was really hoping for something cool and I really don't want to wait another year+ for another skin for her, if she ever gets another. Do you think she will get another soon? You and others seem to insist on keeping this idea for her skin. All I ask is please do your best! Sorry if I seemed rude at all, I'm not trying to be.

Thank you for working so hard on a skin for Diana, I really appreciate it!!

Ninj4Z

12-16-2013

To me the skin doesn't look as bad as people make it out to be, but I do agree it needs some retocuhing as far as color and figure goes.

ArmySquirrel

12-16-2013

Hey Stylus, I'm really happy to see that you're getting Diana a new skin, I've been looking forward to it for a long time. I quite like the direction this skin is going myself, but I may be less picky than a lot of people. I feel like I really want to help, so uhh, I'll throw my own two cents and maybe it can help get some ideas down. I like the skin, but there are a few things which I think could be done to make it perfect.

You mentioned she doesn't have her make-up on, and I believe it, the Chang'e influences were pretty clear, so I thought it would be a good opportunity for a sort of Geisha look (I'm pretty sure Geisha is Japanese, but I don't know the Chinese equivalent, but you know, Honor to Us All scene, I know you watch Disney!) with the white face and red lipstick but with Diana's own little twist in that her eye liner maintains the shape of her scars (or her eye liner depending on interpretation, I always liked the scar interpretation). Her skin as well, while the more tan look is interesting, I feel like Diana should always be really pale. It just seems to be her character. I see her as one of those people with really pale skin who just don't tan very well, and tend to just burn when exposed to sunlight.

For the hair, I like seeing her in brown hair, but I admit that may just be that I have a thing for brunettes, *AHEM*, soooo... The only idea I really have on this (besides keeping it brown) is maybe a shiny white look, shinier than her base skin hair with kind of a goddess-like purity to it, to try to get more of the goddess vibe to it. Not sure how I feel about the hair loops on her head though, or how they'd look in white.

I really like that pale blue silken dress, it has a very nice color to it, and I agree with your take on the puffy bicep part. Really everything in that silken, pale blue is extremely pretty to me, but I do agree she could use a bit more armor. From my own experience I find that when a lot of cloth is wanted the simple additions of bracers and greaves and maybe pauldrons (which she seems to already have) goes a long way to justifying the outfit as battle armor, even if much of it is cloth or even bare skin, just as the hoplites of Greece would do. Some metal on her forearms and shins up and over her knees I think would be more than enough to give her an armored and more battle ready look while still retaining the other elements of the outfit.

As a final idea, I noticed she has a little amulet around her neck. I like it, though I think the amulet itself looks a slight plain, so I thought instead of the round, green gem there in the middle if it could be fashioned more to look like the heretic symbol, just to add a little more of the Diana we know and love to the skin. Having it somewhere I think would be a fitting mark.

Also I really like her sword! It really needs no changes, save perhaps the shade of gold to keep it matching the gold on her outfit if that is changed.

I hope this helps. I really want for Diana to have a very pretty and very successful skin. Sorry for the essay though.