Thoughta of Diana's skin?

Good 471 23.90%
Needs Slight alterations 624 31.66%
Should have scratched it and restarted. 876 44.44%
Voters: 1971. You may not vote on this poll

So this Diana Skin..

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

12-14-2013
16 of 27 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlighte View Post
Want feedback about not putting armor on her? Here it is.

This skin fits the theme of Lunar Revel perfectly. Does the skin need some touching up? Obviously. I feel that Diana already has 2 heavily armored skins and the point has been made that not every skin is for every player in the past. It is OK to have a non-armored skin. I mean hell, look at Traditional Sejauni now right? *hopefully that gives you a chuckle IronStylus*

Personally, i say keep the silky garb and avoid the armor. If she is celebrating the moon, she is going to be doing it in non-armored clothes. If we really want to give her armor, make her into a Warring Kingdoms skin in my opinion.
I absolutely feel what you're saying.

I'm going to do a couple iterations. Going to try just a polish pass, then mess with some details and balancing, then see if adding different materials changes things for the good.

I think it does indeed fit into Lunar Revel. That's my gut. That's why I'd be comfortable shipping the thing today if it was finished to completion. However, I'm going to see if I can reconcile what I'm hearing here and what the goals for the skin are. Maybe a middle ground would be good, or maybe it'd be terrible. I'm going to try to find out!

Neo Cyrus

12-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyGameEasyLif3 View Post
That feel when IronStylus doesn't want to completely encase a female champion in rugged armour. Riven and Tryndamere don't typically wear heavy armor, how come they get awesome looking oriental armor?
I actually think it would be nice to have a Diana skin that's not completely armoured. It's just the small things like the hair loops, reverse facing eyes and different skin colour/tone throughout the model that drives me nuts.

I voted for slight alternations because I don't think it needs that much change to make it good.

KyrosTheMystic

12-14-2013

If I may, IronStylus? The one thing that stands out to me about the skin overall is the bit of her hair done up on the top of her head. Something about it seems off and kind of sticks out a bit over her usual figure (in the top region) that just makes it feel odd to me. I know full well that the twin bunny loops is a common thing for the design you're going towards with this skin, but it just feels weird for me (as someone who plays Diana frequently).

Otherwise? Love the blade, the colors, and maybe a tad bit more armor here and there would be ok additions. I personally like the cloth-i-ness cause, this IS a skin after all and while skins need to fit the character they also are a way to fit said character into neat little themes and stories! Just because Diana is in full plate doesn't mean she always needs to be (her own release skin is proof enough of this as it's mostly a skin tight body suit on her torso and not armor).

Splinterheart

12-14-2013

For those asking about an Ashe skin, there is one in development as I recall a Rioter describing it as "badass" (/badashe? :P)

Also gotta put emphasis on not having champions get their first skin as limited/legacy. So Elise, Thresh, Fiora/Hecarim come to mind. Morello mentioned when Fiora's Headmistress skin was released that it probably wasn't a good idea, but it's happened again :/

Also what's the chance there could be a custom Leona VO interaction for this skin? :P (Or having VO's added to new skins or old champions gradually if Voice actors are around) I can understand waiting till relaunches to do VOs though.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

12-14-2013
17 of 27 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyrgos View Post
P.S. I too love the strands of fabric that fall behind her in this skin... and the hair is really lovely as-is I think
Tassels gotta stay =P

Senstrae

12-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyGameEasyLif3 View Post
What i want to know is that why Zedd and Syndra, champions who hail from Ionia, don't get a Lunar Revel skin, considering they both have one skin, and Shockblade zedd is kind of awful IMO. Tell me that Ionia isn't Asia all you want, but it is heavily influenced by Japan/China
I figure it's because they're a bit antisocial or antagonistic, and wouldn't likely participate in the festivities (as opposed to murdering everyone present). =X

Starlighte

12-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
I absolutely feel what you're saying.

I'm going to do a couple iterations. Going to try just a polish pass, then mess with some details and balancing, then see if adding different materials changes things for the good.

I think it does indeed fit into Lunar Revel. That's my gut. That's why I'd be comfortable shipping the thing today if it was finished to completion. However, I'm going to see if I can reconcile what I'm hearing here and what the goals for the skin are. Maybe a middle ground would be good, or maybe it'd be terrible. I'm going to try to find out!
And i think we all appreciate you humoring us. Sometimes we make perfectly normal requests, like this thread i think. And then sometimes our requests are.... well ya know... the sort of requests that make you want to pull your hair out. Keep at it IronStylus.

Eyrgos

12-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senstrae View Post
Frostblade Irelia was released 1 year, 7 months ago. Same for Ashe rework (her actual last skin was 2 years 1 month). Akali is also up to 2 years 1 month since last skin.

I know you're looking to have skins for the newer champions, but you shouldn't just shove aside legitimate cases where champions haven't had a skin in a while.

But yeah out of all I figure Karma could use a new skin, especially now that she's seeing some competitive play.
True, not meaning to shove them aside.

But there's something more to giving a newer champion their one extra skin within a year's time (especially when you consider champs used to come with 2 at launch)...

And giving champions who have 5-6 skins another within two years.

At least IMO

I almost think they should create a regiment for champion:skin ratio that they attempt to stick too as a sort of "deadline"...

Like, first new skin within 8mo's from release.

Second within 18mo's.

Third & beyond, one every 30 mo's.

Pwnker

12-14-2013

@IronStylus

Thank you for making a Diana skin! I think it looks great! I am also a big fan of Sakura Karma and Dynasty Ahri if you had anything to do with those skins.

I like the new animation for her ultimate better than the original animation.

Edit: Lunar Goddess Diana, Dynasty Ahri, and Sakura Karma all look more "human" (because of the clothes), and I like seeing them in game every time.

turkeyBACON

12-14-2013

My problems with this skin is that it doesn't read Chinese fantasy to me but rather more Middle Eastern/Arabian fantasy. Its likely the amount of skin or where the skin is showing thats the problem. I might be wrong here but exposed toes, legs and calves are not really "Chinese". And the puffy sleeves that end in the forearm bracer things doesn't feel right either.

And this is a personal gripe but the hair loopies look perfectly fine when viewed from the front but from the top down game view they look weird. I'm not sure why but the closest thing I can think of is that they make her look too tall?