Thoughta of Diana's skin?

Good 485 24.31%
Needs Slight alterations 630 31.58%
Should have scratched it and restarted. 880 44.11%
Voters: 1995. You may not vote on this poll

So this Diana Skin..

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Desusaizuheru

12-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Why does this skin mean no Diana skins for a while? We're talking what.. 6 months or more? I don't feel that's the end of the world. Also, if we have an opportunity, then we'll make something new and awesome. As I've said, she would have had a skin out earlier except that skin was pushed in order to make room for Lunar Revel. In all honesty, that proposed skin was more like the "Eclipse Diana", but honestly, I wasn't really happy with it in it's simplicity, and it would have crowded out other skins. The Change'E inspiration was elegant, unique, and something we'd certainly not get a chance to do for a while. So, even if you're not partial to it, we've at least got it checked off the list and can move onto more ideas that hopefully you will like.

Zyra is a very particular case. Zyra has pretty much the most skin assets in our entire game. Making skins for her is extremely demanding and requires a ton of work in terms of model assets, VFX and animations. Diana is definitely easier than that.

Also, remember. You're pretty much talking to the guy who wants TONS of skins for Diana. I want an elegant skin along the lines of Eclipse, I want something crazy gory along the lines of Blood Lord Vlad, I'd like to see the Solari Diana come to life, and I'd REALLY like to see a bananas crazy legendary skin for her at some point where she's all Awakened Being or something nuts. Believe me, I have some ideas.

I understand the lack of some transparency, and I'll do what I can to advocate for more. I don't know if that'll happen. Not everyone is as active as I am or likes.. ya know.. writing.

Again, I do like that we're having this discussion. I treat the votes in this poll as saying half of the people voting for the skin like it so long as it has a few tweaks, and for the others, it's not their particular cup of tea as it stands on PBE, which isn't even it's finished state. If it's not those people's favorite, no problem. There will be more skins to come for her.
+1 for Claymore reference.

Neo Cyrus

12-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yutani San View Post
I like the particles a lot, I think it looks a lot better. I wish it was a little more purpleish in hue thank pink though... I really love the cloth that flows behind her when she runs! That looks VERY good.

Her skin mods are looking at little bit better. It still is not OMG I LOVE IT but it is getting closer.

Things to still address:

1) Dem legs. The feet especially. Make it looks like something elegant at least.
2) The purple skirt thing in the front.. give it some texture at least
3) The makeup.. Not a fan of it.

There was some art a few pages back that did a good job with the makeup. Also, the page with the re-color where her cloth was more whiteish and had lots of detailing, that was beautiful! If only they could take a page from it.

The hair loops I fear are not going away, so I will just accept it. I still think black hair would look better.
1 - The feet were changed to be lighter after complaints that they look dirty/muddy. The problem is now it's just a flat texture and it doesn't even show toes anymore. :/

2 - That would help.

3 - The makeup makes it easier to see that her eyes are facing reverse directions.

Bush Maori 404

12-20-2013

I really hope I'm not too late to this party, because I have a couple things I wanted IronStylus to see.

I only have 2 champions I really enjoy 100% in gameplay, story, and character design; these 2 champions are Diana and Varus. As you would assume I was over the moon (don't even) when I heard tale of a new Diana skin being released, and now that I've had a chance to play it on the PBE and seen up close shots of her model et cetera I can say that the team has done a pretty amazing job.

I however, as a huge Diana fanboy who probably has OCD, have nitpicked 3 qualms with this skin.
1.) Her neck feels a teensy bit long, or stiff. One of the two; it just doesn't feel natural.
2.) I was super excited when I heard that the skin would be 'elegant' and 'beautiful' about three months ago from IronStylus himself, but her face reminds me of an angry 60 year-old Chinese woman, and even seems a little dirty.
3̶.̶)̶ ̶T̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶p̶e̶l̶l̶s̶.̶ ̶P̶l̶e̶a̶s̶e̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶l̶o̶v̶e̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶*̶i̶n̶s̶e̶r̶t̶ ̶d̶e̶i̶t̶y̶ ̶h̶e̶r̶e̶*̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶n̶g̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶m̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶i̶n̶ ̶w̶h̶i̶t̶e̶ ̶b̶a̶s̶e̶-̶s̶k̶i̶n̶-̶e̶s̶q̶ť̶ ̶c̶o̶l̶o̶r̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶.̶
I̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶n̶k̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶ ̶g̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶c̶o̶l̶o̶r̶ ̶w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶g̶o̶ ̶n̶i̶c̶e̶l̶y̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶p̶u̶r̶p̶l̶e̶i̶s̶h̶ ̶c̶l̶o̶t̶h̶e̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶s̶u̶i̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶r̶e̶g̶a̶l̶ ̶'̶G̶o̶d̶d̶e̶s̶s̶'̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶m̶e̶.̶ ̶
"̶O̶h̶ ̶n̶o̶ ̶J̶u̶i̶c̶y̶ ̶i̶t̶'̶l̶l̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶o̶ ̶s̶u̶n̶n̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶e̶o̶p̶l̶e̶ ̶w̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶s̶c̶r̶e̶a̶m̶ ̶'̶S̶O̶L̶A̶R̶I̶!̶'̶.̶"̶ ̶-̶E̶v̶e̶r̶y̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶e̶v̶e̶r̶.̶ ̶N̶e̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶f̶e̶a̶r̶,̶ ̶[̶B̶]̶D̶A̶R̶K̶[̶/̶B̶]̶ ̶g̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶h̶e̶r̶e̶!̶ ̶#̶D̶A̶A̶5̶2̶0̶ ̶
<̶-̶-̶(̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶c̶o̶l̶o̶r̶ ̶c̶o̶d̶e̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶d̶a̶r̶k̶ ̶g̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶'̶G̶o̶l̶d̶e̶n̶r̶o̶d̶'̶ ̶b̶y̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶w̶a̶y̶)̶
FLOWER PETALS WOOOOOOOOOOO

TL;DR The face/neck seem off, a̶n̶d̶ ̶d̶o̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶b̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶i̶n̶ ̶s̶p̶e̶l̶l̶s̶ ̶p̶l̶e̶a̶s̶e̶.
B̶u̶t̶ ̶s̶e̶r̶i̶o̶u̶s̶l̶y̶,̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶p̶e̶l̶l̶s̶.̶ ̶M̶a̶k̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶m̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶n̶ ̶w̶h̶i̶t̶e̶.̶ ̶;̶~̶;

If anyones read this, thank you for your time and tell me what you think/̶a̶d̶d̶ ̶s̶u̶g̶g̶e̶s̶t̶i̶o̶n̶s̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶[̶U̶]̶[̶B̶]̶S̶P̶E̶L̶L̶S̶[̶/̶B̶]̶[̶/̶U̶]̶.̶

~*posting from my NA smurf. I'm from OCE*~

Finch Toast

12-20-2013

For some reason I can't read the above post from my phone.so sorry that I cannot comment on the things you are concerned with and have brought to light.

As for me, I really do love the particle effects however I can't decide whether or not I will buy this skin. It might just be the fact that I'm very upset with the fact there wasn't a single "festive" skin released with this years lunar revel and that is the thing I love about this event. The warring kingdom skins are nice however so I can appreciate the quality, .
If I do end up getting it at this point it will be for particle effects alone and if I did its only a skin I could use every now and then due to its color scheme. I may be a girl and yes those colors are 'feminine' but I just am not a fan of those colors unless they're offset with something especially pink. Since I'm the kind of person who likes to always use the skins I own it makes this a hard decision. From ll the pictures I saw of Chang e these colors weren't even the focus of her scheme and if they were in it there other colors offsetting them

This can be taken not to heart because I'm sure I'm just disheartened about it and once that wears off my opinion may change.

Edit: I will probably buy it.. maybe, but I just noticed what's with the tail of her hair and those two strands that stick out to the sides I'm assuming to form a crescent?

Finch Toast

12-20-2013

This skin is driving me insane T_T such a amazing particle effects but other than that idk how to feel. I partially dislike this skin and fully dislike dv before and after changes except hair color. But those particle effects on this one and black moonlight on dv.
Why can't she have a decent model other than her base

Shanzzi

12-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Hey guys, thanks for setting up the poll. Additionally, thanks for the feedback.

I'd like to explain some of the context around this skin before I get into the nitty-gritty.

This Diana skin was influenced by Chang E, a Chinese moon goddess. That's what made me move towards an outfit which utilized more cloth/drapery elements than armor elements. We wanted to create something a little more graceful, a different fantasy. Drapery was an aspect in this, something which I liked to mess around with since her base is so armor heavy. Silk felt better in this case I thought. Also, some of what's on her is some more traditional elements and motifs, they're styled away from the language of the base.

On a technical note, there are a few discrepancies between the concept and the model. Some of these changes are due to tweaks to the model in order to make it read better in game, or simply might be drift away from the original concept. This sometimes happens. Other discrepancies however, are polish points mostly, things I think we might be able to address.

All that being said, I've looked at the prevailing feedback throughout the night and noticing some trends, correct me if I'm wrong, or let me know what you think about these assessments:

- There's some feeling that she might be a bit too "clothy", that something quintessential about Diana feeling like Diana is visually represented by relatively heavy armor. That might be a theme we need to more heavily integrate.

- The tan of her skin tone is bringing her away from the sorta creepy other-wordly aspect she has. She might be a but too humanized here. Also her face might need some polish. She's missing makeup which I designed into her face for this particular skin. The lack of that might be hurting it.

- The leggings, again, feeling too silken and possibly unnecessarily showing skin, they seem also to read as DV Diana's leggings to some people.

- The cloth in general is a bit cool, and might need to warm as it comes into highlight. The gold might be looking a bit too copper/yellow at the moment and might need to come from a more peach color up to a cooler highlight.

So, all that being said then, I'm going to experiment with some changes to the skin via paint-overs for our 3D modelers. At this point I have to warn that it's possible that nothing that I attempt may be used in the end for whatever reason. It may also be possible that we make changes that are less drastic, or more drastic. That's what PBE is for, to gain feedback and adjust if possible. Additionally, any changes I might make will most likely be along the lines of texture change rather than geometry change. This means there'd be no adding of more heavy plate, but I might play around with making areas that are now cloth, into thin armor or some other material. At this phase, making major geometry changes to the model is difficult due to the UV maps being pretty final and the fact that animation is already pretty much set.

Again, I cannot stress enough, I don't know what changes I experiment with will make it into the final, if at all, but I see merit in some of the feedback I'm seeing and I'd like to try some iteration. Some potential solutions I see are as follows. Feel free to agree, disagree, or add ideas/reference:

- I feel the general shapes are good. Placement of large forms is generally ok, so chances are the forms themselves wouldn't have to change too much.

- I lke the billowy upper arms, but the bracers, rather than silk, could be made to feel like armor wrist protection.

- I might play around with making her legs feel lightly armored rather than having a stocking feel to them. Closing the toe on the foot may help also. My gut also says that something might be goofy with the modelís foot size. I donít remember Dianaís feet being that big =P

- Iím going to try to make the chest feel as though it has light armor under the drapery, and maybe add a more solid mid section. I am honestly very fond of the shape the fabric drape on her front makes in terms of in-game read. I donít want to loose that. I think though there might be some merit to the thought that the exposed chest might be unnecessary and maybe even detracting. I want that shape there, but maybe I could make an elegant under-armor garment that covers the chest, with a similar color, but goes up to the neck.

There's some other random ideas I have but it's a lot of minutia.

Anyways, again. PBE content is often really work in progress. That is indeed the case here but there might be some additional takeaways from the feedback thatís hitting on things that wouldn't really change even if they were polished to a higher level. Iím going to do my best with the time we have to see what changes I can help facilitate inside the team. We have extremely talented artists, they do an amazing job, and overall Iím satisfied with the direction that this skin is going. I feel itís a nice alternative feel for her, but I do see merit in what people are suggesting.

I would like to see the conversation move forward with suggestions, productive comments, actionable feedback and reference if people have images they feel are appropriate. Iíll do what I can to help make this feel better so long as the team feels it's the right direction.

I have to make sure any and all changes are cool with the Skins team. I cannot go making unilateral decisions, even if I think theyíre the right thing to do. I have to work with my team and help them in whatever the way I can. It could be decided we have no time or resources to make changes. It might be something we have to live with, but Iíd like to propose some changes to the skin to the team at large and facilitate some changes if we feel theyíre adding value. Do i think the skin could ship today if it was feature complete? Yes, but I feel there's some opportunity here, so I'm going to see what I can do.

Please be patient, I have to make sure I go about everything the right way and that the team is aligned. I don't want to make assurances that I cannot back up, nor make promises I can't keep. If the team also feels there's opportunity, chances are we can do some fun stuff. I'll check in with them to see how they feel.

Again, thanks for the feedback, I hope I can help to improve things. Weíll see how it goes.
I have a image I found on youtube that someone had in their video just before they showed the new Diana skin.....one thing that is majorly wrong with it in my opinion are the colors that you have used ..the moon is not purple and there are already so many champs with purple, orange, green, red, blue in their skins. I will attach the image once I have finish this post for you to have a look at, the image isn't perfect.. but it may help with some ideas ..the colors in it however are beautiful especially for a moon goddess....Black for the night silver for the moonlight and pale yellow or gold for the moon.

I don't know it may actually be your artwork I just wanted to show you just encase you haven't seen it, is she purple because shes unfinished or is the outfit actually another purple? ;x People might disagree with me but PLEASE take those loop things off the top of her head they remind me of Mickey Mouse ears. The tunic isn't to bad however you should try cut the sleeves out and perhaps instead have um I don't know maybe like silver or gold armbands wrapping round like snakes and instead of blue gems in the head pieces use diamonds u know like stars....but ya get rid of the mickey mouse ears as for the dress part I don't know if u need the tails at the back but if u did want to keep them I would make them less blocky more flimsy and flowing.....

But other than the color and those things standing up on her head i quite like it but i think the sleeves make the top look at bit bulky

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lunar Goddess Diana black silver gold.jpg (39.6 KB, 56 views)

Finch Toast

12-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanzzi View Post
snip
It's a very well known fan art known as eclipse Diana if you go back and read his post he did make a comment about this skin idea which you will be able to find knowing the name now

Shanzzi

12-20-2013

oh ya and if you look carefully at the image I attached you notice they made the gold stripes on black almost look like tiger stripes which is pretty cool.

Shanzzi

12-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finch Toast View Post
It's a very well known fan art known as eclipse Diana if you go back and read his post he did make a comment about this skin idea which you will be able to find knowing the name now
No I didn't know but ty for enlightening me...all I was trying to show is that I think the color scheme is far more fitting for a Lunar Goddess

Shanzzi

12-20-2013

As for her hair get rid of the hair loops instead give her jet black hair with thick silver streaks or braids entwined in it ........well just an idea