[Guide] Ryze to the occasion (UNFINISHED)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zero LeMat

12-28-2009

A guide to Ryze, the Rogue Mage

I. Introduction (AKA stuff you probably won't read)

Ryze has changed quite a bit since this game was first released for testing. His role in the current game is as a nuker, and quite a nasty one at that. He's not terribly difficult to play, as anyone can pick him up, cast nukes, and obliterate people with this champion. However, don't let this fool you into thinking he isn't a very good champion. Sure, he can be a bit boring and lackluster since all he does is nuke-nuke-nuke(literally), but he can still play an important asset to the team.

II. Why play Ryze

Burst - Ryze can burst down a single hero at lightning(lolpuns) speeds. Build him enough and he can devastate an entire team.

Disable - Okay, rune prison isn't quite a STUN, but it does the job(most of the time). I'll elaborate on it later.

Pushing ability - With his new ult, Ryze can clear a lane like nobody's business. And due to his passive, it is rarely down for long.

III. Stats

These are Ryze's stats. I'm not too big into theory crafting, since it takes a game and turns it into EVE, but I'll go ahead and put it here, if that's what floats your boat.

Quote:
Base stats (assuming stat growth is linear)

HP: 342 + 78*lvl
Hp5: 4.35 + .55*lvl
Mana: 228 + 52*lvl
Mp5: 4.2 + .4*lvl
Damage: 39 + 3*lvl
Aspd: .6196 + .0124*lvl
Crit chance: 1.75 + .25*lvl
Armor: 6.9 + 3.2*lvl
There you have it, Ryze's stat progression. Of course, you could just go to leaguecraft and find out what the stats are at certain levels (and in a nice and neat format, too) but this puts those numbers into a different perspective.

IV. Spells

Ryze's spells are pretty straightforward, but I'll elaborate a bit on them in depth as I bring them up.

Quote:
Overload [Q]
Description:
Ryze throws a charge of pure energy at an enemy unit for heavy damage and additional damage based upon Ryze's current mana.

Spell Effect:
Ryze blasts enemy unit for 70/105/140/175/210 (+0.45 per ability power) magic damage plus 10% of his maximum mana in magic damage.

Cooldown: 11/10/9/8/7 seconds
Mana Cost: 50/65/80/95/110
Range: 600
Your big nuke. Overload can easily do 400 damage late game. I've had it going for almost 600~700 at times, but those are those rare games where I had my Mejai's at 20 charges and built a Zhonya's. Simple and straight forward, you hurl a ludicrous amount of your energy at the target, and they disintegrate into nothingness. I know, I like fireworks too.

Quote:
Rune Prison [W]
Description:
Ryze traps target enemy unit in a cage of runes, preventing them from moving or attacking, dealing damage for the duration.

Spell Effect:
Ryze traps an enemy unit, preventing them from moving or attacking and dealing 40 (+.4 per ability power) magic damage every .4 seconds for .8/1.2/1.6/2/2.4 seconds.

Cooldown: 14 seconds
Mana Cost: 80/95/110/125/140
Range: 550
This is your "disable". Now, I use that term loosely because it doesn't disable, per se; it's a snare. As the spell says, it'll keep a champion from moving or attacking, but that's it. Champions can still cast spells while snared, so a Tristi will rocket jump away, a Corki can Valkyrie the **** out of there, and ults will still be channeled. Now, not to say that if ults are being channeled, you still might obliterate them with your nuke combo, but keep that in mind.

Also, the length of the stun SCALES. THAT'S RIGHT, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, at level 1, it's just a mere annoyance. Which is why you might want to level this ASAP to get more utility out of it.

Quote:
Spell Flux [E]
Description:
Ryze releases an orb of pure magical power which bounces from the initial target up to 6 times. Any enemy target struck is dealt heavy damage.

Spell Effect:
Ryze throws an orb of pure magical power which bounces to other enemy units, or himself, up to 5 times. Any enemy unit struck is dealt 50/70/90/110/130 (+0.33 per ability power) magic damage. Spell Flux applies a stacking -15 Magic Resistance debuff to every enemy target it hits with a max stack of 5. Duration is 5 seconds.

Cooldown: 9 seconds
Mana Cost: 60/80/100/120/140
Range: 700
Ryze's ult in beta, they downgraded it to a basic skill. Which is fine by me. This is spell possibly THE reason Ryze is so dangerous one-on-one. Sure, it doesn't seem like a lot of damage, but if it's only you and ryze, you're gonna eat this three times. Okay, so you take a moderate nuke. What now? Every spell after this is gonna steamroll your opponent's face in. Basic spell resistance is 35, which comes to 25% spell damage reduction (for those DotA players out there, this is a very familiar number). Each spell flux your opponent takes reduces their magical resistance by -15. So, if they eat this 3 times, they lose 45 Magic Resist, coming down to a total of -10 Magic Resist. I have no idea how much more magic damage they'll be taking sitting on -10 Magic Resist, but I do know that your spells are dealing a third more damage than normal, and then some, to the enemy champion.

Quote:
Desperate Power [R] (Ultimate)
Description:
Ryze is ****ing badass for the next 8 seconds. He's gonna **** your **** up. God****, just look at him.

Spell Effect:
Ryze becomes supercharged, gaining 60/100/140 ability power and causing his spells to deal 65% AoE damage for 8 seconds.

Cooldown: 60/50/40 seconds
Mana Cost: 0
Range: Self
Okay, so that isn't really the official description of the skill. But, it's pretty accurate. This is your can of whoop-ass. Open it up, and unleash a world of pain. The great thing is that it seems to always be in stock.
(The rest of the guide is unfinished. SURPRISE!)

Smulert

12-28-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero LeMat View Post
(The rest of the guide is unfinished. SURPRISE!)

such a tease!

Phoxly

01-01-2010

Awe was lookin forward to this being finished by now >__>