Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Physical damage defense items for ADC?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RoughRunner

12-10-2013

so say you are and adc. you have allot of options to fend against magic damage. but what do you build for physical? i played a game where the only damage threat was a riven as an adc. I didn't know what to buy. only things i can think of is GA and thorn mail, but thorn mail doesn't seem too effective again riven. any thoughts? should they make an item for this?

The5lacker

12-10-2013

I wouldn't really call 2 "allot". And Randuins is a thing.

JustMyBassCannon

Recruiter

12-10-2013

Thornmail would have been fine against Riven. All her damage is physical, so the reduction is totally valid, and about half of her damage output comes from her attacks due to her passive. Would also give you more damage against her.

PhailRaptor

Adjudicator

12-10-2013

If you are dying to burst, get GA. However, it works much better if your team actually tries to help you.

If magic damage is killing you, choose between Spirit Visage or BVeil, depending on the nature of the other team's output. *glares at Blitz/Thresh/Amumu*

If it's bruisers or AD assassins, get Randuin's.

Kholdstare13

12-11-2013

You can always go for fratma, the health and slow on mallet helps to fend off a bruiser assault, and atma's is really under-appreciated for what it actually gives.

67chrome

12-11-2013

There really aren't any physical offense + physical defense items, you either grab a full-tank item or get creative.

full-tank items can work rather well - though unless you have at least 2 major ADC items it will really set back what you're roll within the team is as a damage dealer - unless you're playing in Twisted Treelines or Dominion, you really shouldn't grab much defense until your core build is already well under way.

as for getting creative - AD threats come in two major flavors - marksman and fighters, or ranged and melee auto-attackers.
For problematic marksman - having more life-steal usually works. You can do that from either having more life steal or by grabbing grievous wounds. Bloodthirster and Blade of the Ruined King can work fairly well, alternatively Executioner's calling can insure any drain-tank fights set your opponent's sustain back by 50%. Countering AD this way won't set back your intended roll's function, at least not by much.

For fighters - melee champions are melee, and even Riven is weak to getting kited to death (if she has to use her skills to reach you, she doesn't get to use them to damage you). Getting movement speed and especially on-hit slows helps tremendously against such champions, as it can allow you to hit them without getting hit back until the point were you can face tank them and win. TriForce, Zephyr, Phantom Dancer, Frozen Mallet, Lizard Buff, and Blade of the Ruined King are all solid choices here, as they offer more mobility/swifter attack-speed for more fluid orb-walking/and/or slows against your opponent to play the kiting game much better, putting your range to better use. Blade of the Ruined King is noteworthy in that it accomplishes all 3 - and allows you some level of success when face-tanking.

From my personal experience - I'd tend to recommend getting 2 life-steal items for dealing with Riven. Then perhaps grab something like Thornmail or Ninja Tabi and proceed to focus on mobility and crit, focusing chiefly on kiting like a baws in team-fights and making your opponents work really hard to reach you.

RoughRunner

12-13-2013

thatnks for the replys. i got more info now, mallet, more lifesteal, ga or a tank item. allot of choices

Nepolian

12-14-2013

Randuins can be great on an adc. But if you want something a little different that you might find fits your play style or champ better I've tried getting hp items (late game and excess gold to spend) such as warmogs and frozen mallet (that slow proc can be great for kiting and chasing).

Don't limit yourself to just armor items, remember if you're having trouble with one of your opponents there are always a few ways to mitigate their damage.