Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[Strategy] Zilean, how to play him?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Motas

Recruiter

12-28-2009

I've been playing exclusively Zilean for a while now and I would like the community's input on a few tihngs.

Which Zilean is better?

The AP OMG I KILL YOU IN TWO TIME BOMBS Zilean?

Or the support I FLY AROUND THE MAP AT 600 SPEED AND REVIVE ANY CHAMP EVERY 20 SECONDS WITH UNLIMITED MANA REGEN Zilean?

As of now, I'm playing the second Zilean and haven't lost yet. But I've seen matches with the first Zilean that does really well also. So I restate my question:

Which Zilean is better?

Thx in advance
-Motas

MasqureMan

12-28-2009

Quote:
Motas:
I've been playing exclusively Zilean for a while now and I would like the community's input on a few tihngs.

Which Zilean is better?

The AP OMG I KILL YOU IN TWO TIME BOMBS Zilean?

Or the support I FLY AROUND THE MAP AT 600 SPEED AND REVIVE ANY CHAMP EVERY 20 SECONDS WITH UNLIMITED MANA REGEN Zilean?

As of now, I'm playing the second Zilean and haven't lost yet. But I've seen matches with the first Zilean that does really well also. So I restate my question:

Which Zilean is better?

Thx in advance
-Motas

I want to be the second Zilean. ANd the second fits the supporting role and helps the team the most. Your less likely to lose.

The first is fun too, but not really supportive.

Pudgeball

12-28-2009

Quote:
Motas:
I've been playing exclusively Zilean for a while now

Quote:
Motas:
As of now, I'm playing the second Zilean and haven't lost yet.

Quote:
Motas:
Which Zilean is better?

So either you're full of ****, or you're trying to make yourself look like a badass, or just dumb and think never losing is somehow bad.

Not sure what the point of this thread is.

MasqureMan

12-28-2009

Quote:
Pudgeball:
So either you're full of ****, or you're trying to make yourself look like a badass, or just dumb and think never losing is somehow bad.

Not sure what the point of this thread is.

He's asking whether you like the mage AP (more damage from bombs) Zilean, or the aura/huge mana regen/cd reduc supporter Zilean better.

People on these forums have an unneccesary need to insult people. What's the point of any thread? The topic. He made the topic, so thats the point of the thread.

sdjaks

12-28-2009

AP Zilean suffers when your team has high dps. Most times a champ will (or should) die before your second bomb goes off. That being said, Frozen heart + arch staff on Zilean = best of both worlds.

MEMEME670

12-28-2009

I play the supportive Zilean, and find that it cleans up quite well.

If a teamfight is over, and everyone is in the jungle, you can boost up and slow someone, getting a kill.

Also, when people focus you, it more often then not allows a kill to be had, which i consider a good thing.

Motas

Recruiter

12-28-2009

Cool, it seems like most people agree with the second Zilean
My build currently is:

Philosopher's Stone
Chalice of Harmony
Boot of Mobility
Frozen Heart
Soul Shroud
Archangel Staff

I basically have unlimited mana, and the game usually ends after the soul shroud
Another combination to get the 40% cooldown cap is:

Nashor's Tooth
Deathfire Grasp

But is this worth it?
I wouldn't think so becuz Zilean needs the hp from Soul Shroud and the armor from Frozen Heart right?

VKhaun

12-28-2009

I play and do very well as Zilean, he suits my mindset of staying out of trouble and trying to be useful with his long basic attack range, target-anything skills and bait-or-save ultimate.

I find Zilean doesn't really need any items. I know that's kind of blasphemous around here with everyone's talk of getting a full set of expensive ****, but frankly I find he just doesn't need much help from them. Hell I don't even have runes yet, I'm just lv14, but I do consistently well and get compliments from other players all night in this game full of angry hardcore PvP freaks.

Boots and mana helper item of choice. Then just use your money for the team instead of yourself since you play the support anyway. Bring stealth detect. Aura items like Aegis of the Legion or Stark's. Think support.

Try it once before you flame me about this strategy. Have you ever played a game with any hero and gotten no items at all? It sounds pretty harsh, but run a practice game that way. You'd be surprised what you find out.about what they actually do and don't need help with, or how much/little help they need in a certain area. A naked Zilean competes with itemized players at lv18... it's pretty scary. You don't need to haste AND slow when your buddy has a stun, or something to haste himself. You don't need to save him if he's got a defensive trump card ready. You don't need... you don't need... you don't need... just the basic vanilla Zilean is competative at any level, except he needs a little (not as bad as others...) help with mana.

Your mileage may varry by skill and style of course.

EDIT--
Get boots to keep your movement on par, when trying the above. Obviously. (?)

Motas

Recruiter

12-28-2009

Quote:
VKhaun:
I play and do very well as Zilean, he suits my mindset of staying out of trouble and trying to be useful with his long basic attack range, target-anything skills and bait-or-save ultimate.

I find Zilean doesn't really need any items. I know that's kind of blasphemous around here with everyone's talk of getting a full set of expensive ****, but frankly I find he just doesn't need much help from them. Hell I don't even have runes yet, I'm just lv14, but I do consistently well and get compliments from other players all night in this game full of angry hardcore PvP freaks.

Boots and mana helper item of choice. Then just use your money for the team instead of yourself since you play the support anyway. Bring stealth detect. Aura items like Aegis of the Legion or Stark's. Think support.

Try it once before you flame me about this strategy. Have you ever played a game with any hero and gotten no items at all? It sounds pretty harsh, but run a practice game that way. You'd be surprised what you find out.about what they actually do and don't need help with, or how much/little help they need in a certain area. A naked Zilean competes with itemized players at lv18... it's pretty scary. You don't need to haste AND slow when your buddy has a stun, or something to haste himself. You don't need to save him if he's got a defensive trump card ready. You don't need... you don't need... you don't need... just the basic vanilla Zilean is competative at any level, except he needs a little (not as bad as others...) help with mana.

Your mileage may varry by skill and style of course.

EDIT--
Get boots to keep your movement on par, when trying the above. Obviously. (?)

Wow, I have never agreed with you more. That's a pretty good idea, I'll have to try it sometime. I never thought getting Starks or Aegis would be good for Zilean.

I always thought a supports role was to have unlimited mana in order to heal and keep his team out of trouble.

Note: for the record, I don't have runes either and people ask me "what runes did you use?" and I answer back "no runes :P"

nicosharp

12-28-2009

Zilean offers very little to team fights. If you have a team full of big damage, and 1 stun/support, you might get to sqweak by with a Zilean, but if there is another full support hero picked Zilean just nerfs your team.

The trick is that anyone you would save with your ult is valuable enough to save and can turn things around with the save. Also to be able to snare enemies and speed up allies to get quick kills.