Hey! Remember Us???

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rindin14

12-07-2013

So there is a Mac Client, a Windows Client....and no Linux client. Could someone please explain to me why RIOT can't find the time to market their product to a whole new audience? I would be more than happy to spend some of the money I saved by downloading my free Linux OS instead of a windows distribution. I suppose I will just have to go over to other games like HON and DOTA 2 that actually have the decency to create Linux compatible clients...

FreakinUnoriginl

12-08-2013

One of the biggest obstacles to implementing a Linux client would be replacing the Adobe AIR-based launcher, since Adobe dropped support for AIR on Linux after version 2.6 (current version is on 3.9).

They would have to redevelop, at minimum...
1. patch delivery
2. the store
3. game type/queue selection
3.a. champion selection
4. friends & chat
5. rune pages/masteries
6. stats

Basically everything other than actually being in a match would need to be re-done.

I'm all for unshackling League from Adobe's integrated runtime, I'd love a single binary that can pre-load assets and preview 3D champion models and stuff. But I don't realistically expect that to be a priority as long as the existing client continues to work. Windows users were worried that changes for Mac would affect them, but both clients are built from the same foundation. Linux support would require a new foundation, and thus involve a new client (at least the launcher component) for every platform.

Brantley

12-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakinUnoriginl View Post
One of the biggest obstacles to implementing a Linux client would be replacing the Adobe AIR-based launcher, since Adobe dropped support for AIR on Linux after version 2.6 (current version is on 3.9).

They would have to redevelop, at minimum...
1. patch delivery
2. the store
3. game type/queue selection
3.a. champion selection
4. friends & chat
5. rune pages/masteries
6. stats

Basically everything other than actually being in a match would need to be re-done.

I'm all for unshackling League from Adobe's integrated runtime, I'd love a single binary that can pre-load assets and preview 3D champion models and stuff. But I don't realistically expect that to be a priority as long as the existing client continues to work. Windows users were worried that changes for Mac would affect them, but both clients are built from the same foundation. Linux support would require a new foundation, and thus involve a new client (at least the launcher component) for every platform.
This post is:
  1. Informative
  2. Helpful
  3. Concise
  4. Friendly
Am I still on the League of Legends forums??