Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[Guide] Nunu: Yeti on Fire

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Axle Hellfire

12-31-2009

Emblem of Valour plus one level of Consume allows you to focus on leveling your abilities and also allows you to stay in lanes longer while driving your opponents to recall. Usually you can have that item before you even reach level 6, so you'll still get Banshee's Veil fairly quickly (if needed for that particular matchup). The lifesteal in addition to HP regen aura is quite helpful in keeping you from having to recall.

Labomba

12-31-2009

I main Nunu about 90% of my games, so I'll comment as I feel necessary.

Exhaust seems excessive. Ice Blast already comes off CD before the slow does, which allows you to perma-slow anyone so long as you have the mana. A better summoner spell choice for your particular build is Heal due to Consume being leveled last, or you could take Rally, which will help your team vastly while you try to absolute zero the other team.

I prefer to skill up Ice Blast first (1,3,5), take two ranks of Consume (2,4), Ult (6), then one rank of Blood Boil (7), then finish out Ice Blast, followed by Blood Boil, then Consume, while taking Ult every time it's up.

For the tank build, Rod of Ages is a better item than Frozen Mallet for a few reasons, and imo should be built before Cape.
1) RoA requires catalyst, giving instant health and mana return on level up. This is a nice starter item.
2) RoA has AP which adds to Ice Blast, Consume's heal, and Absolute Zero
3) it takes only 15 minutes for RoA to reach full benefit (300hp, 300mp, and 30 AP). The final hp of RoA is comparable to Frozen Mallet (725 to 775), yet you are gaining an additional 30 AP as well. Final total of 725hp, 725mp, 80 AP (if the item database is up-to-date...)
4) RoA takes 3035g to build while Mallet takes 3290g (if the item database is up-to-date...)
5) You have Ice Blast, why take the additional slow? It's a nearly wasted stat on this item.

I can't imagine taking Vampiric Scepter early.
1) Nunu's base attack speed is slow as balls.
2) Early ranks of Blood Boil do not increase his attack speed that much
3) It builds into some pretty lack-luster items for Nunu unless you go Starks, but I still feel there are 20 other champions who would be better suited to take this item.

In place of Vamp Scepter/Emblem, why not take Philosopher's stone. You get hp5, mp5, and a nice gold return, which is nice reassurance is your Nunu has difficulties farming early. Or, Chalice for additional MR and more mana to spam Ice Blast. All of these items are comparable in cost. Lastly, Stinger or Fiendish Codex provide some -CD, mp5, and IAS/AP and can be built into a Nashor's Tooth later on. Just some suggestions.

Borbag

12-31-2009

New players DO NOT follow this guide for the Nunu posted by Axle Hellfire (http://leagueoflegends.com/board/search.php?do=finduser&u=53691).

Corrupted Veigar

Recruiter

12-31-2009

Alright everyone, no need to say 'I prefer X over Y' or 'Dude that sucks, you should get this instead of that', this is Axle's guide, if you want to talk about your builds or whatever just make your own guide.

Quote:
Borbag:
New players DO NOT follow this guide for the Nunu posted by Axle Hellfire (http://leagueoflegends.com/board/search.php?do=finduser&u=53691).

Wow. Are you serious? I've played with Axle a few times when he has been Nunu, and he kicks ass with this. Stop looking down on the guide and just try it out. If it doesn't work for you, you did something wrong or your team just sucked ass. Just go look for a new guide if this one doesn't work for you.

Kiraeyl

12-31-2009

Thanks for this guide Axle! Because of your suggestions, I feel like I am better as Nunu and I enjoy playing him! I sometimes get vamp. scepter but only to build up Executioners Calling if needed.

As for summoner spells, I use ignite and heal. Heal keeps me in the lane longer and ignite is nice for when a person is very close to dying and I think they'll just get out of range of another ice blast. I usually cast ignite right before trying that last ice blast and it usually gets me the killing blow as they are still running away.

Axle Hellfire

01-02-2010

Quote:
Kiraeyl:
Thanks for this guide Axle! Because of your suggestions, I feel like I am better as Nunu and I enjoy playing him! I sometimes get vamp. scepter but only to build up Executioners Calling if needed.

As for summoner spells, I use ignite and heal. Heal keeps me in the lane longer and ignite is nice for when a person is very close to dying and I think they'll just get out of range of another ice blast. I usually cast ignite right before trying that last ice blast and it usually gets me the killing blow as they are still running away.

You're welcome! Heal is very good, I just tend to use Consume as Heal anyway, but it's certainly a decent option.

Quote:
Labomba:
I main Nunu about 90% of my games, so I'll comment as I feel necessary.

Exhaust seems excessive. Ice Blast already comes off CD before the slow does, which allows you to perma-slow anyone so long as you have the mana. A better summoner spell choice for your particular build is Heal due to Consume being leveled last, or you could take Rally, which will help your team vastly while you try to absolute zero the other team.

I use the mastery to improve Exhaust so that it reduces Armor and Magic Resistance by 25 for the duration of the spell, which makes it a great combo WITH Ice Blast.

Quote:
I prefer to skill up Ice Blast first (1,3,5), take two ranks of Consume (2,4), Ult (6), then one rank of Blood Boil (7), then finish out Ice Blast, followed by Blood Boil, then Consume, while taking Ult every time it's up.

For the tank build, Rod of Ages is a better item than Frozen Mallet for a few reasons, and imo should be built before Cape.
1) RoA requires catalyst, giving instant health and mana return on level up. This is a nice starter item.
2) RoA has AP which adds to Ice Blast, Consume's heal, and Absolute Zero
3) it takes only 15 minutes for RoA to reach full benefit (300hp, 300mp, and 30 AP). The final hp of RoA is comparable to Frozen Mallet (725 to 775), yet you are gaining an additional 30 AP as well. Final total of 725hp, 725mp, 80 AP (if the item database is up-to-date...)
4) RoA takes 3035g to build while Mallet takes 3290g (if the item database is up-to-date...)
5) You have Ice Blast, why take the additional slow? It's a nearly wasted stat on this item.

I agree with leveling Ice Blast as much as possible, but I still think Blood Boil is underrated. I also agree that Rod of Ages is probably better than Frozen Mallet, but don't underestimate stacked slowing capabilities.

Quote:
I can't imagine taking Vampiric Scepter early.
1) Nunu's base attack speed is slow as balls.
2) Early ranks of Blood Boil do not increase his attack speed that much
3) It builds into some pretty lack-luster items for Nunu unless you go Starks, but I still feel there are 20 other champions who would be better suited to take this item.

In place of Vamp Scepter/Emblem, why not take Philosopher's stone. You get hp5, mp5, and a nice gold return, which is nice reassurance is your Nunu has difficulties farming early. Or, Chalice for additional MR and more mana to spam Ice Blast. All of these items are comparable in cost. Lastly, Stinger or Fiendish Codex provide some -CD, mp5, and IAS/AP and can be built into a Nashor's Tooth later on. Just some suggestions.

Philosopher's Stone is a nice option, as well.

Raiqualar

Recruiter

01-02-2010

On the leaguecraft guide, the lvling order of abilities is non existent.

Axle Hellfire

01-03-2010

Update: Instead of Vampiric Scepter/Emblem of Valour, I've been using Haunting Guise to great effect. It helps because you can start with both regen items instead of boots.

coty

01-24-2010

Nice guide Axle,

One nice thing about having both Mallet and Ice Blast is that you can have 2 targets snared. If your group is chasing another group that can be quite handy.

- coty

thegreatconski

12-30-2010

i rally nunu . im fairly new im lvl 14 right now or something
my best game was with nunu i went 17/0/8
i like to buy cloth in the begining two health pots and a mana pot.i usualy solo.
it alows me to stay in lane until well into lvl 8 before going for a rebuy. i can usualy get up to 5000 gold before i buy second time. then i get that gaurdian angel. and a rod or two. sunfirecape and some more rods. wut ever the ring is is also good.. i duno mostly depends on ur team