Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[Guide] Nunu: Yeti on Fire

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Axle Hellfire

12-28-2009

Nunu: Yeti on Fire
v1.2

LeagueCraft Guide (http://leaguecraft.com/strategies/guide/283,Nunu%3A+Yeti+on+Fire)

This guide is for those who want to learn how to play Nunu as a lane pusher and a tank, while still being able to gank people. This is not a jungling or AP build (there are already a couple of those for Nunu, check out the List of Guides (http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=28809)). I suppose you might call this guide a bit unorthodox at certain points, but that's mostly because it's tailored to my style of play and the people I play with. I usually play in a 5-man premade, and my scores usually have 15-30 assists, but not necessarily as many kills. Take that as you will.

Note: I will update this with new information if I make any changes based on comments or discoveries from my own play. I'll make a post in this thread detailing the changes when the guide is updated.

Abilities

Visionary (Champion Passive) - Nunu can cast a spell for free upon attacking a unit 8 times.

Consume (35/30/25/29/15 seconds) - Takes a bite out of target minion, dealing 500/600/700/800/900 damage and restoring 100/175/250/325/400 (+0 ability power) health.

Blood Boil (20 seconds) - Increases an allied unit's attack speed by 25/35/45/55/65% and movement speed by 10/13/14/18/20% for 40 seconds.

Ice Blast (6 seconds) - Nunu throws a ball of ice at an enemy unit, dealing 85/130/175/225/275 (+0 ability power) magic damage and slowing their movement speed by 50% and attack speed by 25% for 4 seconds.

Absolute Zero (150/120/90 seconds) - While channeling for 3 seconds, slows nearby enemy units' attack speed by 25% and movement speed by 49%. After channeling, enemies caught in the area are dealt 625/875/1125 (+0 ability power) magic damage.

Recommended Summoner Spells

Ignite - I really feel like Ignite is one of the most underrated spells in the game. I cannot count the number of times I have killed someone by slowing them with Ice Blast and getting off an Ignite as they run away. Also, if you have the Burning Embers mastery (see Recommended Masteries), you get an extra 10 ability power while Ignite is on cooldown, which is always good for Nunu.

Exhaust - This is really good for chasing someone, and combined with blood boil and ice blast, no one will get away from a yeti on fire!

Other good options: Rally (put it down when you use Absolute Zero), Teleport (going back for mana refresh and buying), Cleanse (chasing/running away), Flash (chasing, flash out of grass to use Absolute Zero)

Recommended Masteries

I'm going to go ahead and post a recommended 21-point build focused on each Mastery tree, in the order of which ones I think are better. If you prefer a different style, use one of the other ones. If you are Level 30, I highly recommend getting Archaic Knowledge (9 points needed) even if you go Defense or Utility as your main build tree.

Offense Focus: I like this tree the best because it emphasizes Nunu's killing power and helps him push lanes. We'll use items to ensure his survivability.

Tier 1: Deadliness x3, Cripple (if you're using Exhaust), Archmage's Savvy x3
Tier 2: Sorcery x4, Alacrity x4
Tier 3: Burning Embers, Archaic Knowledge
Tier 4: None
Tier 5: Lethality x3
Tier 6: Havoc

Defense Focus: This build is good because it further turns Nunu into a tank, making him incredibly difficult to kill.

Tier 1: Resistance x3, Hardiness x2
Tier 2: Strength of Spirit x3, Evasion x4
Tier 3: Nimbleness
Tier 4: Veteran's Scars x4
Tier 5: Ardor x3
Tier 6: Tenacity

Utility Focus: This build focuses on reducing Nunu's cooldowns and increasing his mana and regen so he can keep hitting people with Ice Blast and using Blood Boil.

Tier 1: Perseverence x3, Good Hands x1
Tier 2: Awareness x4, Expanded Mind x4
Tier 3: Meditation x3
Tier 4: Quickness x2
Tier 5: Intelligence x3
Tier 6: Presence of the Master

Suggested Rune Build

Marks - I tend to use Crit Chance, so that while I'm wailing with Blood Boil I can get lucky a few times and surprise them.

Seals - Dodge and/or Health Regen

Glyphs - Cooldown Reduction (without a doubt one of the most important things to have for spamming Ice Blast)

Suggested Ability Sequence

Use this build unless your team has a Rally and decides to get Dragon first, in which case get Consume, obviously, and get your first ability second.

1) Ice Blast (good for getting first blood)
2) Blood Boil (Get consume for a less aggressive build if they are pressuring you early)
3) Consume
4) Ice Blast
5) Ice Blast
6) Absolute Zero
7) Blood Boil
8) Ice Blast
9) Blood Boil
10) Ice Blast
11) Absolute Zero
12) Blood Boil
13) Blood Boil
14) Consume
15) Consume
16) Absolute Zero
17) Consume
18) Consume

The reason Consume is so low on my build is that while my build emphasizes items that give you survivability, I use the abilities to allow me to play aggressively. In a game where you are being pressured, mix in Consume a little earlier as needed. You just need at least one level of Consume early to be able to use it to heal throughout the game.

Recommended Item Build

Haunting Guise (start with the regen items)
Mercury Treads

At this point I'm going to split the build into two types: Magic Resist and Tank builds. The first build is good against Mage and Poison heroes, the other will work against Physical damage heroes.

Magic Resist:
Banshee's Veil
Lich Bane/Guardian Angel
Force of Nature

Tank:
Sunfire Cape
Thornmail (get this first if you feel you need it early, but Sunfire Cape will be better for pushing)
Frozen Mallet

Feel free to stack as many additional Sunfire Capes onto either build as you have money for. They are great with Nunu, especially for pushing lanes, since he doesn't have a way to quickly down creeps without wasting his ult. It also combos well with his ultimate since they can't get away from him.

Frozen Heart and Rod of Ages are also really good with Nunu, so experiment and see what works best for you.

How To Play

1) Believe it or not, Boots of Speed is your first purchase. They are so important for early chasing and being able to get away from ganks, you wouldn't believe it.

2) Be sure to keep yourself and your teammates blood boiled as often as possible. Take advantage of Nunu's free spell every 8 hits to cast Blood Boil on whoever's ran out. That will help you be able to gank at any moment. Also, use Blood Boil to help save teammates who are running from a gank, they'll often be able to escape with that extra speed boost. For offensive actions, prioritize blood boil on your DPS players. Also, use Blood Boil on yourself right before you Recall so that you can get back to your lane faster. That's one of the reasons I don't use Teleport as a summoner spell.

3) Lane Pushing - Be sure to harrass the opponents with Ice Blast as often as possible. Watch your mana, though, so you still have enough for one more when you move in for the kill. If you're doing a premade, try to lane with a caster that is using Clarify with the Mastery that goes with it. That will help you keep from running down. While you are harrassing the opponents, your teammate is moving in on the creeps and the two of you are pushing your wave forward. If they stay despite the harrassment, you can then move in for the gank.

4) Ganking - Assuming you have everything charged up (and Blood Boil is already active), a Nunu gank with this build goes as follows: Exhaust, then Ice Blast, then throw down the Ignite. Wail on them until your Ice Blast comes up and hit them with it again. Repeat until they are dead or escape, which usually doesn't take very long. Your blood boil and the combination of Ice Blast and Exhaust should make it easy to keep up with them and keep hitting them. If you have Absolute Zero, use the above ganking method but right after the first Ice Blast go ahead and run just past them so that you are between them and the best escape route. Pop down your ult and force them to run back toward your teammate if they want any chance of not getting hit. Chances are, unless they have flash or a jumping ability, they won't make it out in time. This has the added advantage of taking out most of the opposing creep wave even if you don't hit them. If they're still alive, go back to wailing plus Ice Blast until they die. The repeated slow from Ice Blast usually helps your teammates catch up and destroy them. Often if you are chasing two or three people you will slow one until your teammates are in range and then chase after the others to hit them with Ice Blast as well, since your Blood Boil makes you faster. This way you can make sure multiple people die by bringing them in range of your teammates.

Why This Works

As mentioned above, this build works because it is set up for surviving and for helping your team out. This isn't a build for someone who wants to singlehandedly carry their team and get all the kills. Likely you will have plenty of assists as you Ice Blast your way to victory. Primarily you need to be pushing lanes forward and playing support for your teammates as a Tank and Buff hero. If you have stacked 2 or 3 Sunfire Capes, you're doing 80-120 damage a second, which makes pushing lanes ridiculously easy and helps take out a lot of heroes in team battles, especially if they're stuck inside of Absolute Zero. Ultimately, though, you just need to play smart and work together as a team, and everyone will learn to fear the YETI ON FIRE!

Medullaris

12-28-2009

Boots of swiftness are fail on nunu imo, I was buying them for a while but now I normally go for treads or ninja tabi. With bloodboil + boots 2 you are as fast or faster than boots 3 anyway when you really need to be.

Zoob

12-28-2009

Nunu is one of my favorite champions built AP style, like he should be. I generall go deathfire grasp, sorc boots, void staff, rod of ages and/or sunfire cape/banshee veil depending on the makeup. Exhaust....doesn't really make sense for my build since I take full cooldown runes and depend on constant ice blasts and consumes when needed. I think I get blood boil at level 9 or so, when consume is at 2-3 points and blast maxed. It's amazing to throw on ur team and -cooldown helps spread the love even more.
I shoot for a solo mid if the ashe/teemo/sivir doesn't mind. Summoner spells are always teleport and then usually ghost, sometimes flash. When cleanse was godly I took that with every champion, but I'll usually leave cleanse now since in it's current state it doesn't do anything for zero. Ghost lets you catch up to a group of low hp runners who have used their CC to run away, flash lets you wind up and then flash in from the bushes w zero. And 1v1's are cake w deathfire>iceblast>blood boil. Reminds me of fear kiting in other mmo's since the enemy always runs. Justification behind teleport should be obvious with nunu. Nothing quite like a tele behind enemies>deathfire>ice blast>absolute zero.

As a tank, nunu is just not the threat he should be. Even a little AP is fantastic due to the scaling of zero.

Axle Hellfire

12-28-2009

Quote:
Medullaris:
Boots of swiftness are fail on nunu imo, I was buying them for a while but now I normally go for treads or ninja tabi. With bloodboil + boots 2 you are as fast or faster than boots 3 anyway when you really need to be.

The reasoning behind the Boots of Swiftness is just completely maxing out your movement speed, making you the fastest hero in the game. However, I can definitely see the logic behind some of the other boots.

Axle Hellfire

12-28-2009

Quote:
Zoob:
Nunu is one of my favorite champions built AP style, like he should be. I generall go deathfire grasp, sorc boots, void staff, rod of ages and/or sunfire cape/banshee veil depending on the makeup. Exhaust....doesn't really make sense for my build since I take full cooldown runes and depend on constant ice blasts and consumes when needed. I think I get blood boil at level 9 or so, when consume is at 2-3 points and blast maxed. It's amazing to throw on ur team and -cooldown helps spread the love even more.
I shoot for a solo mid if the ashe/teemo/sivir doesn't mind. Summoner spells are always teleport and then usually ghost, sometimes flash. When cleanse was godly I took that with every champion, but I'll usually leave cleanse now since in it's current state it doesn't do anything for zero. Ghost lets you catch up to a group of low hp runners who have used their CC to run away, flash lets you wind up and then flash in from the bushes w zero. And 1v1's are cake w deathfire>iceblast>blood boil. Reminds me of fear kiting in other mmo's since the enemy always runs. Justification behind teleport should be obvious with nunu. Nothing quite like a tele behind enemies>deathfire>ice blast>absolute zero.

As a tank, nunu is just not the threat he should be. Even a little AP is fantastic due to the scaling of zero.

Oh, there is certainly a lot to be said for Nunu's AP build, but there was no point in my writing a guide for that as several already exist. Nunu's AP build is awesome, but I can tell that the focus behind the build for you is completely different than my tank build.

Bait

Recruiter

12-28-2009

i recommend you simply max ice blast first. that's the main damage for nunu and it scales quickly. each level in that spell is crucial

first item should be doran's ring, mainly because you need each of the stats in the ring. nunu does not need to chase early on and he can chase without boots because ice blast slows the opponent.

try this item build:
1. doran's ring
2. catalyst
3. boots of speed
4. mejaj (if you aren't feeding by now)
5. haunting guise (if enemies are types that have heavy magic resist, skip it and get void staff)
6. sorcery boots (if enemies are types that have heavy magic resist, skip and get mercury treads or mobility)
7. rod of ages if the nukers aren't too strong, banshee's veil if the nukers are strong
8. lichbane if you have high ap, abyssal scepter if you didn't get void staff

Axle Hellfire

12-29-2009

Honestly, I think people underestimate the power of blood boil in a team setting. I cast it almost more than I cast Ice Blast over the course of a game, and it has been incredibly useful. Also, your item build focuses on AP, not Tanking, so it doesn't really apply to this guide.

Note: After some further playtesting of Nunu, I realized that I miswrote my ability sequence slightly. I have updated the guide to reflect that.

Axle Hellfire

12-30-2009

I have updated the guide to v1.2, to include Mercury Treads and a few further small explanations of the build.

Axle Hellfire

12-30-2009

Also, I added the guide to LeagueCraft.com, so please vote and support if you like it!

http://leaguecraft.com/strategies/guide/283,Nunu%3A+Yeti+on+Fire

Thanks,

- Axle

GroM6

12-30-2009

Vampiric Scepter really?

I would get a Banshee's Veil before any of that garbage. With proper Ice Blast harassing and use of consume, you shouldn't need a Vampiric Scepter early on or at all. Getting Banshee's Veil early helps make your ults better and allows you to initiate team fights better.

Also, if nobody else on your team gets Aegis, I would also pick that up as opposed to a Lichbane or Guardian Angel.