What are the best runes for Jax?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

0xpRelentless

12-22-2010

tl;dr at the bottom

[EDIT: Since so many people keep bringing it up, I feel the need to remind people of what Jax' passive is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax
Jax's prowess with weapons and armor increase his fortitude as he gains equipment:
  • Jax gains 3 health per point of Attack Damage received from items.
  • Jax gains 2 health per point of Ability Power received from items.
AD and AP Runes have NO effect on his passive.]

Well, after trying out Sorakabot's Jungle Evelynn, I decided that it'd be fun to maybe try out Revive/Smite with my Jungle Jax. My plan is to start at wolves (seems the safest starting point imo), activate HP pot on the way to Wraiths (so that my little HP is covered and regen starts once the fight with the wraiths occur), kill the Wraiths and hit level 2, then suicide at Red Lizard, buy two HP pots to help me gank after I take both the Blue and Red buffs, and blahblahblah, you get the idea.

But, the thing is, not only does this Summoner Spell loadout allow me to have both the Blue and Red buffs at the same time for a hefty amount of time that will for sure last me more than one gank attempt, but it will also allow me to swap both my Dodge Seals and my HP Quintessences out with something else (since I'm not that dependent on RNG proccing my Counter Strike or extra HP considering I have the HP buff from Revive taking on the Blue Golem, Wolves, Wraiths, and Red Lizard). But now, this whole thing has got me questioning my whole rune page, so I'm just going to ask the community, in hopes of receiving a strong answer on what kind of runes I should have for an optimal Jax.

MARKS
  • Attack Speed
    • +15% ASPD
    • Raises effectiveness of DOUBLE-HIT -> ULTI combo
    • Allows quicker and cleaner chases (especially with Red Buff omg)
  • Magic Penetration
    • +8.5 Magic Penetration
    • Greatly increases damage output with the EMPOWERED LEAP and DOUBLE-HIT -> ULTI combos
SEALS

This one is up in the air. 6.75% or 7% more dodge is NOT effective later game (not even by the activation of his ultimate) and that is why I would go with Mana Regen per level, but I don't actually need it THAT much and I'm wondering if any other set of runes can benefit me more?

GLYPHS
  • Cooldown Reduc
    • -5.85% Cooldown
    • More opportunities to land combos
  • Magic Resistance
    • +13 Magic Resistance
    • Provides for early-game survivability (but will I need it if I'm ganking and taking unorthodox jungling paths?)
QUINTESSENCES
  • Attack Speed
    • +11% ASPD
    • Raises effectiveness of DOUBLE-HIT -> ULTI combo
    • Allows quicker and cleaner chases
  • Magic Penetration
    • +5.7 Magic Penetration
    • Greatly increases damage output with the EMPOWERED LEAP and DOUBLE-HIT -> ULTI combos
tl;dr:Attack Speed or Magic Penetration? What do you think is best for Seal runes?

Sinnen

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-22-2010

Those are all bad, get AD+ red Dodge yellow, AP at 18 blues and Movespeed quints (all of it) and proceed to facerolling with my amazing build.

Reel Wrapper

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-22-2010

what is a jax?

Swampf0x

12-22-2010

Marks: DODGE
Seals: DODGE
Glyphs: DODGE
Quints: DODGE

... Just kidding.

Marks: AS (AD works)
Seals: Dodge
Glyphs: AP/lvl
Quints: Health

0xpRelentless

12-22-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinnen View Post
Those are all bad, get AD+ red Dodge yellow, AP at 18 blues and Movespeed quints (all of it) and proceed to facerolling with my amazing build.
What does AD+ reds or AP+ blues give you? Per levels give you 21.87 AD (or 23 AD according to Leaguecraft) and 27.54 AP by level 18. They don't even have any bearing on your passive effect because they don't come from items. Better choices would be Armor or Magic Penetration runes than those.

Eddy01741

12-22-2010

apen/mpen red, dodge yellow, whatever you want for blues, and hp or apen quints.

Basically standard DPS plus dodge yellows.

Even if you don't think dodge yellows make a difference for Jax's stun, it gives him more survivability, which any melee DPS (save for tryndamere and yi) need.

0xpRelentless

12-22-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy01741 View Post
apen red, dodge yellow, whatever you want for blues, and hp or apen quints.

Basically standard DPS plus dodge yellows.

Even if you don't think dodge yellows make a difference for Jax's stun, it gives him more survivability, which any melee DPS (save for tryndamere and yi) need.
+7% dodge doesn't give you more survivability. The passive on Counter Strike gives you a flat +18% dodge when it reaches level 5, so it's more of a waste of space rather than something that would actually help you survive in a MoBA game that is based almost entirely on Spells and not Auto-attack heroes.

Eddy01741

12-22-2010

You're kidding right....

I suppose you should support that buying armor/mr runes is useless because getting 13 armor/mr at level 1 gives you no survivability, amirite?

This game is more based on auto attacks than spells too.

0xpRelentless

12-22-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy01741 View Post
You're kidding right....

I suppose you should support that buying armor/mr runes is useless because getting 13 armor/mr at level 1 gives you no survivability, amirite?

This game is more based on auto attacks than spells too.
You're comparing for-sure defense with a defense based on a RNG, and I believe I put in my glyphs that I consider buying MRES if you bother to look at the oversimplified notes on the actual topic post.

Why do you think Jax players choose to gank when the minion waves are high? In order for their (the minions) autoattacks to proc the dodge, as most heroes are skill/spell-based more than Autoattack-based and I could give you way more heroes that are based on spells rather than autoattacks if you really want to challenge me on this.

Again, the dodge you get from Counter Strike, masteries, and Ninja Tabi (which is almost required) is ENOUGH dodge and Seal runes ought to be used for something other than Dodge in my opinion.

magusTX

12-22-2010

marks - armor pen
seals - dodge
glyphs - cooldown/leveled magic res/AS
quints - flat AD

Its usually a given that you take dodge seals. I see your late game point, but you should take them anyway because:
1. there is less need to level counter strike
2. ninja tabi are no longer a must have
3. you are less reliant on armor and can take more magic res

Check out my guide if you want an explanation on the other ones
http://leaguecraft.com/strategies/guide/10728.xhtml