Counter-Jungling Guide: Shaco

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Remsiag

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-21-2010

Alot of players believe one champion is capably of counter-jungling, no Evelyn isn't the only one, there is another, more viable pick. Who? SHACOOO

First lets observe his skill set(complements of Leaguecraft.com):

Passive: Backstab
This unit deals 20% bonus damage when striking from behind.

(A decent burst for when your ganking that jungler. A very effective passive. always remember to try and attack from behind if you can, this is mostly accomplished by attacking them while the target is running. Easily done with red or superior boots.)

Q: Deceive
Shaco stealths himself instantly and teleports to target location. His next attack is guaranteed to critically strike.

(One of the two skills that allows you to counter-jungle so efficiently. Use it to escape after ganking or stealing the buff. Also used to initiate a gank.)

W: Jack In The Box
Shaco creates an animated Jack-in-the-Box at target location, which will wait, stealthed, to Fear nearby units and attack them when some come nearby.

(Reason why Evelynn can't beat you in counter jungling. These are like free wards+free smites+free blocks of wall to stop escape routes. The uses are numerous. i'll show you how to make use of it in counter-jungling.

E: Two-Shiv Poison
Shaco's Shivs passively poison targets on hit, slowing them and applying a miss chance to minions. He can throw his Shivs to deal damage and poison the target.

(A potent skill in jungling, allows you to mitigate ALOT of damage. The slow is also potent but you should have a red during early-game at all times. So the slow isn't useful till later when you have to give up red to your carry. The key element of this skill is the blind it deals to minions, and the burst damage it deals when activated. An awesome last-hitter for champions.)

R: Hallucinate
Shaco creates an illusion of himself near him, which can attack nearby enemies. (Deals half damage to turrets.) Upon death, it explodes, dealing damage to nearby enemies.

(Since the nerfs, this skill isn't as awesome as it used to be, still an awesome skill however. In counter-jungling it doesn't have a spot, as you should already stop counter-jungling by level 5. It's useful as a tank for dragon, along with your madred's you should take down dragon very fast. Also, with Laterns, and Madred's Bloodrazor you can take down baron solo with this skill. Other uses, I don't feel to explain. If you want to know what else you can do with it outside jungling, go read a more general Shaco guide.

What is counter-jungling?
In my own words: Counter-jungling is when another jungler uses a set route that includes his enemy's jungle and attempts to "starve out" the enemy jungler. Most notably by stealing the major buffs, ganking, or eliminating key neutrals(wraiths, mini-golem)

So, how do you preceeded to counter-jungle as Shaco? Well first, you have to know where the enemy jungler will start from, since the buff to junglers via the CS being blocked if unseen, this becomes harder to do. Well first as shaco, you wanna start with:

Cloth armor + 5 HP Pots.

Go to blue and just like a none-jungler and set JITBs in the brush, take golems then precede to the enemies red, and check mini-golems. Are they there? This is when you'll know if they took the blue golem path, or the mini-golem path. What you do next differs based on the route they followed.

Blue Golem: The easiest route to counter-jungler. Simple set 1 JITBs in the red brush(Make sure its far enough away to to not drag aggro! This is used to see if the jungler is coming) Then go kill their mini-golems. Then place 1 JITB in between Mini-golems and red, to block off that escape route. Now the following is key:

When he starts doing red, walk around via the side you will not be visible, and place a JITB out of his sigh to block that escape path off.

Re-enter your brush and wait, what the red lizards HP closely and see if you can smite it(smite deals exactly 607 damage at Level 2 against red lizard). If you fail, which will happen against a decent jungler. Just gank them. They should be low and you have all passages blocked off. try to see your deceive to initiate as you want to start the CD as fast as possible for your escape.

If you do smite it and you get the buff, gank them still, it makes it alot easier.

Mini-Golems: By time you get to red they should be at wraiths. So what you do is steal their red, unless their rammus(who is restricted to blue route correct me if I'm wrong) ganking becomes harder for them, and easier for you, double buff at level 2.

GANK, GANK, GANK, GANK. Keep on ganking all day long. Your ELO should decide how much you can gank, at higher ELOs they'll be get smart and will never overextend, also expect wards in higher ELO games, with the nerf to ward's HP getting oracle early if you have the extra cash will drain their gold and plays for itself in 2 ganks, or around 20 CS.

In-between ganks, check your jungle. They might try to take your red. Leave a JITB there is you can, also JITB every buff on the map. Make sure he can't get a buff unless you know about it.

But, you didn't explain Runes/Masteries/Summoner Spells?

Oh yeah, I forgot.

Runes:

ARP Marks
MP/lvl Seals(Substitutable, I recommend Crit Dmg or Flat Armor.)
MR/lvl Glyphs(Substitutable, Not sure what to recommend here. Most if not all champions deal some sort of magic damage.)
ARP Quints.

Masteries:

21/0/9
*You get the Spell Penetration mastery as your E deals MAGIC damage.*

Or

1/19/10
*will weaken your early-game damage but gives you more durability in the jungle, best to use if you lack ARP marks and quints*

Summoner Spells:

Smite & Ghost.

Coming Soon! Video footage.

Feel free to ask questions in this thread or In-game(Remsiag), or if you just need any help.

Estral

12-21-2010

I don't feel this is actually counter-jungling.
When I play Eve as a counter-jungle, I allow for a jungle on my team, meaning I don't take my jungle's slot. I'm in their jungle, taking their buffs and harassing their jungle, then I go back to a lane or run around ganking inbetween. This just sounds like jungling with heavy emphasis on harassing your enemy's jungler. Their jungle still has the option of running into your jungle while you sit there looking for him in his.

Remsiag

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estral View Post
I don't feel this is actually counter-jungling.
When I play Eve as a counter-jungle, I allow for a jungle on my team, meaning I don't take my jungle's slot. I'm in their jungle, taking their buffs and harassing their jungle, then I go back to a lane or run around ganking inbetween. This just sounds like jungling with heavy emphasis on harassing your enemy's jungler. Their jungle still has the option of running into your jungle while you sit there looking for him in his.
This is more Shaco specific, Shaco is such a awesome jungler I don't see the point of laning with him, and not many other junglers should have higher priority over him(only ones coming to mind is WW as he can dragon way earlier)

And most junglers would avoid invading shaco's jungle since he can easily get away if threated or gank you.

Shaco's jungle control is up there with WW's.

Also after locking the enemy jungler out, keeping him locked out is quite easy until mid-game.

Remsiag

12-21-2010

Bumping like a boss.

The Poopster

12-22-2010

I was "counter-jungled" in a game yesterday, Evelyn attacked me at blue so i had to pop ghost and b, i had to restart at blue and then when i went to red and then Warwick smited it and stole it what should I do to prevent these events?

A Retarded Clown

12-22-2010

as shaco....well idk, I myself used to eb a good jungle shaco so used to carry a lot, but since then been doing lots of AP/hybrid shaco so I dont really jungle..

The reason is...that with golem buff, the 2 shiv harass really really pushes the opponents hard...they can't do **** about it

Remsiag

12-22-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopster101 View Post
I was "counter-jungled" in a game yesterday, Evelyn attacked me at blue so i had to pop ghost and b, i had to restart at blue and then when i went to red and then Warwick smited it and stole it what should I do to prevent these events?
Best tips I can give to avoid counter-jungling is:

Ward entrances to your jungle.(not recommended early)
Try to stay at full HP or close to as much as possible(not possible with some junglers)
Use smite efficiently(Smite after the target's HP is below the damage threshold)
Ghost or Flash

As you can see there are few ways to stop counter junglers. I always recommend flash or ghost on any jungler for this reason especially. Even then you might still lose your buff if you failed the smite.

Early-game you can't really stop a counter-jungler other than being really careful. Jungling leaves you extremely vulnerable. I've counter-jungled and ganked WWs before so no, not even WW is safe.

IMO most resistant to being counter jungled is Gragas(mobility via Body Slam) and Udyr(strong shield). Also taking flash would help immensely if they attempt to gank you.