Regarding Feedback on One for All on Howling Abyss

First Riot Post
12345 ... 7
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BuffMePlz

Featured Game Mode Designer

11-22-2013
1 of 1 Riot Posts

Hey everyone!

First, I want to thank you for the great feedback on One for All! We're all really excited about finally getting this out to you, and we're glad that you're enjoying it.

I'd like to take a bit of time to talk through some feedback we've received about having the One for All queue on Summoner's Rift as opposed to Howling Abyss. One of the initial goals we had while first developing One for All was to fulfill the fantasy of having five of one champion fight five of another. Who would win in a match between 5 Ezreals against 5 Dravens? As such, we decided to explore Summoner's Rift as the battlefield for these clone combats. We felt that having multiple lanes and secondary objectives opens up a lot more opportunities for teams to create strategies while behind, a scenario that could commonly happen if the champion you picked was not as strong in lane as your opponents'.

While the game is definitely paced differently on Howling Abyss and has lots of positives, we found the asymmetrical champion selection to be potentially more punishing on Howling Abyss than it is on Summoner's Rift. We felt the lack of objectives on Howling Abyss resulted in players having fewer options when they're up against a team composition that was unbeatable in team fights - with only a single lane and no fountain healing, the actions available to your team felt limited, and were further exacerbated if the champion matchup was uneven.

That's not to say that poor matchups don't happen on Summoner's Rift as well, but we found that the additional objectives gave teams more of a fighting chance, even when their chosen champion was losing (all of?) their lanes. Maybe the traditional laning paradigm isn't the best one to use against a team of 5 Yoricks - on SR, your team has the ability to pivot on this and try something different. Triple mid? Give it a shot, you might be surprised! Double jungle? Not a bad thing to try against that pesky 5 Soraka team. There are a lot of strategies to explore on Summoner's Rift - I wouldn't expect the established Summoner's Rift meta to work on One for All, and would encourage you and your teammates to be inventive and come up with a new strategy that really suits your particular champion!

That said, remember that you can still play One for All on any map through custom games right now. We heard your early feedback and made sure that this was an experience you could still enjoy once the game mode went live through the new featured custom game flow. Though it differs from the 5X vs. 5Y theme we were hoping to hit with this release, there's definitely a lot of merit in having 10-man mirror matches. I would posit that these mirror matches would actually be more fun on Howling Abyss than they would be on Summoner's Rift - we definitely think that this tenfold Murderbridge variant of One for All is a mode worth exploring, and have already started planning for having this be its own featured game mode in the coming year.

Given that, I hope you'll continue to try new and crazy strategies on One for All on SR! Please continue to give feedback on these featured game modes - we love hearing from players and your input is an important part of the iteration process! =)

Easyaeta

11-22-2013

3 words, fun as hell.

bwja

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-22-2013

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ what doesnt kill me only makes me donger ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽

Azuredragon6532

11-22-2013

Better late than never, I suppose

Nid is Cancer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-22-2013

If there is a team of 5 heimers, they are no longer the blue or purple side, they are the Dong Squad.

JmbombARAM

11-22-2013

We need a 5v5 of the same champion queue, where all 10 people vote.

Until this happens, the mode will just slowly die out.

i've seen it happen

and the people downvoting won't even be playing the mode in a week tops

Postal Twinkie

Wrenchman

11-22-2013

I have a new crazy strategy.....

Permanently ban Riven like Karthus and Teemo.

Typhnox

11-22-2013

Played all morde vs all nidalee earlier... And won.

Do you know how hard it is to beat super mobile poker as morde?

naotasan

11-22-2013

Its fast
its fun

ManDudeMcDudeman

11-22-2013

This isn't a "strategic" mode though.

If I wanted strategy, I'd play the actual SR. One for All should be about fun - hence, Howling Abyss, where a lot of the early game is more smoothed out by the bonus XP, gold and levels.

12345 ... 7