[Build] Udyr-Absolutely the best item/skill build after much testing

12345 ... 7
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Krald

12-26-2009

Pay no attention to the title, this is really just my favorite build to use involving attack speed udyr, and is the one I've found to be the best.

So, basically people just constantly ask me in whispers or whatnot about how I build udyr, as generally every time you see a game with him chosen on my profile, its a win, with really great scores. I'm going to eventually write a full fledged guide, but as I'm very busy with Christmas stuff atm this will have to do. My total win/loss ratio with this build has been 21-5, and every time I've been carry status. Even the games where my team got dominated this build(not really my skill) has carried me to holding my own against the team. I'm currently not top ELO, but before I quit this game I constantly played with and against the top ELO players out there, and did quite well. And, personally I don't need some rating to know if I'm good at this game or not, you shouldn't either. You know your own abilities.

So here it is:

Spells

Ghost and Cleanse, no exceptions. I could list reasons for why these above others, but I feel its pretty obvious.

Masteries

0/21/9

You don't need any points into offensive, at all. Your early game damage is from phoenix procs, which is more than enough without any kind of increased damage. Your mid-late game will come from madreds, and offensive masteries won't add to that. However, the item build I use practically adds nothing to survivability, and therefore every aspect of every other improvement should go towards defense (save for the armor pen runes) The improved experience and gold flow gain will certainly help, as at level 6 you will primarily be getting runes/ganking.

Runes

Marks-Armor Pen
Seals-Dodge
Glyphs-Static Magic Resist
Quints-Either Static Health, Dodge, or Magic Resist (whatever your preference)

Item Build

Core

Dorans Shield+hp pot-Just an amazing starting item
Berserker's greaves-You simply need early game attack speed, can be replaced for Mercury's Treads later game
Stinger-This is probably the most controversial, and yet one of the most important items on the list. You need the early game attack speed for proper ganking/jungling. Without it, you simply will be too slow at gaining your runes. You won't always have golem buff all the time, and many times you are switching lanes for defending and don't have time to wack at creeps to restore your mana. Simply an awesome item for early game, and for only 900 g. Don't ignore it. With this, Doran's Shield, and Berserk Greaves, and both runes, you will be a level 6-10 ganking MACHINE.
Madreds Bloodrazor- This is the absolutely essential item to udyr. I don't care what build you go, even if you go AP (for whatever reason, I've tested that too, and its not nearly as successful) you still should get this item. Your attack speed reaches the 2.5 per second cap very quickly once you have this, and a pot, and after switching stances, meaning in a perfect world, you do over 40% of someone's health in 5 seconds, JUST from madred's procs! Your dps with this item is just broken, and this is the single reason people call udyr overpowered at the end of my games.
Trinity Force-grab this after one situational item listed below.

Situational

Stark's Fervor- If your team doesn't have one.
Banshee's Veil- If you are really having trouble with burst. (rare for me)
Thornmail-Basically only for Master Yi. You can lock down tryndamere pretty hard just with bear stuns, whereas Yi just swings too fast for it to see its affect. I've only had to get this once, and when I did, Yi just completely got dominated.
The Cleanse item-I have no idea what its called, but the item that removes all debuffs from your character, is simply amazing, do not underestimate it. If you are only having trouble by being locked down by cc, and not by burst, grab this. (You will need this often as you climb the ELO ladder)
Executioner's Calling-Against a team with a lot of healers

Luxury
Games almost never go this long, as Udyr is so dominant from level 6 and on through mid game.

Bloodrazor- The lifesteal will make you almost unkillable in Turtle.
Guardian's Angel- For late game situations when you really just want to dive and kill the Nexus. I've had to do this twice, and it worked.

Skill build
Bear
Turtle
Phoenix
Turtle
Phoenix
Phoenix
Bear
Phoenix
Phoenix
Turtle
Turtle
Bear
Turtle
Bear
Bear
Tiger
Tiger
Tiger

Bear form at level 1 for early game ganks. I've gotten the team 4 kills just because of this skill+ghost. Turtle is brought to level 2 for resisting harass, and phoenix is maxed asap. Phoenix is absolutely incredible for so many reasons. It is your dps stance for essentially the entire game, as the nature of the stance is that it procs for every third strike, and considering you eventually reach 2.5 strikes per second, that's alot of flaming birds in someone's face...

I used to only get 1 rank of bear, but after realizing that the duration also scales, not just the speed, you can actually keep the bear buff up 100% of the time with 35% cd reduction, which is nice. Tiger isn't a weak stance, its just that attack speed build is the best way to build udyr at the moment, and tiger doesn't benefit from it as much as phoenix. I've tried Crit/damage builds, and they simply do not perform as well.

Don't fool yourself, Udyr does take some intuition and skillful timing of abilities to play right, at first you will definitely feel like you are facerolling to victory, but after a few games you will realize how to properly use his skills, how to harass with phoenix in a lane, when to save for baiting at low hp with turtle stance, etc. I can't teach you these things, but I can show you the build.

My one request to you: Try this build in a few games before you comment on it. See how your performance with Udyr has improved, THEN come back and make your reply/question/comment/concern. Obviously its fine if you don't, but i'd prefer you tested it before we talk about it. Anyways, full guide and probably some crazy pentakill video footage to come. Happy raging

mortor

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-26-2009

dude this build is amazing, i just went 26/7/11. Nearly all of my deaths were from teamates being stupid. I played against another udyr whom i destroyed when i only 1/4 of hp. His build was all wrong. Great guide. 6/5 stars.

Krald

12-26-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortor View Post
dude this build is amazing, i just went 26/7/11. Nearly all of my deaths were from teamates being stupid. I played against another udyr whom i destroyed when i only 1/4 of hp. His build was all wrong. Great guide. 6/5 stars.
haha awesome! I was playing against a crit udyr one game, and when I told him in all chat
"i dont know if crit items are all that great on udyr bro" He charged me out of rage trying to 1v1 me, I dropped him in like 4 secs...leaving the fight at 90% hp..I felt bad for him

flankd

The Council

12-26-2009

I wouldn't call it the best build, dorans and stinger isn't needed imo.

Krath4

12-26-2009

Yeah. Doran's is pretty much only good for early game, and should be replaced later.

Stinger is a kind of 'meh' item. It's decent early on, like Doran's, but is easily phased out around late-game.

Krald

12-26-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by flankd View Post
I wouldn't call it the best build, dorans and stinger isn't needed imo.
And you are the exact reason I gave a disclaimer to try it.

Dorans-IS needed for early game harassment. If you think turtle is enough against some crazy harasser's early game, your deceiving yourself, your mana cannot keep up with it. And you need to farm your AS items quick to jungle appropriately. With doran's you can just take the harassment like a man and farm away.

Stinger-I already gave really good reasons why stinger is needed. Care to give a cheaper, quicker, balanced, all around better solution to your void for this item? After testing with the build? Going straight to madreds makes the pace of gameplay incredibly slow, and you will be forced to remain passive for early game, which is where you can easily get 2-3 kills from your rune buffs, simply with the bonuses given by your early game items. As I said, stinger is ironically one of the most important items in the build, and I can't really explain it. I've tried to play without it multiple times, and was just disappointed with the pace of the game in general.

Krald

12-26-2009

The fact is, that's their very purpose, to set you up for early game awesomeness. Of course they can be replaced later on, but the effectiveness they add to your early game rune control+harassment defense+ganking potential are more than meets the eye

Synxxx

12-26-2009

Tried it, wasn't impressed. I was annihilating creep waves and dragon/buff monsters in seconds; but your survivability is in the toilet compared to a build that maxes bear/turtle first and grabs a triforce as the first item.

Krald

12-26-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synxxx View Post
Tried it, wasn't impressed. I was annihilating creep waves and dragon/buff monsters in seconds; but your survivability is in the toilet compared to a build that maxes bear/turtle first and grabs a triforce as the first item.
And yet your damage is completely down the toilet by doing that build? Not to mention its boring? I'm just confused as to how going defensive mastery+dodge/magic resist runes+the dodge given by your stance dance isn't enough survivability for you, and how one ruby crystal and 2 levels in turtle makes the difference. Also, with attack speed you gain SO much more out of turtle stance than by getting triforce first. Survivability isn't your focus, you aren't aiming for tank build. You shouldn't be the first one charging in during teamfights, nor the last.

Synxxx

12-26-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krald View Post
Awesome, guess I've faced teams who have no damage at all for every one of my games using this build
You asked for people to try your build before they commented on it. Don't get pissy because you don't like the feedback you're getting.

Labeling it as "Absolutely the best item/skill build" is a bit presumptuous.

12345 ... 7