"Hey Sona what do you think of the upcoming support changes?"

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hayaishi

11-20-2013

And if you really believe someone is gonna pick Sona because she gets tankier instead of Annie's AOE stun + AOE **** ton of damage you're seriously wrong.

If i wanted to be tankier i'd just play Leona or Thresh and actually have useful CC.

abahnur

11-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jatt View Post
I think you guys are missing the intent of the support changes, where you see AP ratio reductions and you immediately think the champion is nerfed. Take Sona for example, AP ratio reductions on her Q, and also a big hit to her Ult taking it from 0.8 to 0.5

We need to get something clear: AP is not the only way to scale a champion with gold Sona is not a mage, she is a support. She doesn't need a 0.8 AP ratio on her ultimate to be effective.

But Jatt, what am I going to do with this gold if I can't scale Sona with AP like a mage?
- Sona scales remarkably well with CDR and mana regen. The base values on her abilities are high, and the aura's she provides have ridiculous gold value. Additionally, if you can cycle your spells faster you get substantially more power chords which can make you a beast in teamfights. Also, since you're building CDR you may as well make yourself a little bit tanky. This way when a DFG Ahri comes at you, you might actually have a chance of living for more than .5 seconds.

I'm not saying that support Annie and support Zyra or support Lux who scale like traditional mages aren't going to be effective bot lane, I'm saying that traditional supports have multiple ways of scaling that don't have to include ability power and they are equally as strong. It's going to be a trade-off.

Support Annie and Support Fiddle are going to be better than before. They have AP ratios, they have more gold, they're going to do more damage. Sona and Soraka also have more gold. They get to be tankier, they get to have more CDR, and they get to have a more powerful impact thanks to their increased team utility.

I encourage you all to keep an open mind.

and this is why we can't have nice things, ppl see reduced ap they go and cry.

Shoukansha Ichi

11-20-2013

I think Riot needs to point out that people weren't able to even use the ratios before. Cept for mid Janna/Soraka really.

Ntencti

11-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatt View Post
i think you guys are missing the intent of the support changes, where you see ap ratio reductions and you immediately think the champion is nerfed. Take sona for example, ap ratio reductions on her q, and also a big hit to her ult taking it from 0.8 to 0.5

we need to get something clear: ap is not the only way to scale a champion with gold sona is not a mage, she is a support. She doesn't need a 0.8 ap ratio on her ultimate to be effective.

but jatt, what am i going to do with this gold if i can't scale sona with ap like a mage?
- sona scales remarkably well with cdr and mana regen. The base values on her abilities are high, and the aura's she provides have ridiculous gold value. Additionally, if you can cycle your spells faster you get substantially more power chords which can make you a beast in teamfights. Also, since you're building cdr you may as well make yourself a little bit tanky. This way when a dfg ahri comes at you, you might actually have a chance of living for more than .5 seconds.

I'm not saying that support annie and support zyra or support lux who scale like traditional mages aren't going to be effective bot lane, i'm saying that traditional supports have multiple ways of scaling that don't have to include ability power and they are equally as strong. It's going to be a trade-off.

Support annie and support fiddle are going to be better than before. They have ap ratios, they have more gold, they're going to do more damage. Sona and soraka also have more gold. They get to be tankier, they get to have more cdr, and they get to have a more powerful impact thanks to their increased team utility.

Attachment 834757

Arctic Bro

11-20-2013

5 sona is deadly in the howling all for one mode...
poor kennen

Ratastok

11-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by abahnur View Post
and this is why we can't have nice things, ppl see reduced ap they go and cry.
Nah we´re actually crying because AP champs are going to outclass supports at the support role.

Also,that extra tankyness on Sona that you will be able to get from items is awesome,it will allow you to take one extra autoatack from Support Annie full burst before you die!

Xedrox

11-20-2013

i think people are mad because you guys keep limiting a champion till its only viable for the one role its made...if they preform exceptionally well in another role you guys nerf it immediately

Henry Plainview

11-20-2013

Yeah whatever Jatt, we'll see in a week if anyone is still playing the "traditional" supports bot. I personally very much doubt it.

Arizel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-20-2013

Quote:
Jatt's Post.
AP is NOT the only way to play or balance a champion, but your balance team has to realize, that refining the game doesn't mean you have to keep shrinking which lanes champions are effective in. Before these upcoming changes, Sona was semi viable in mid lane. With these upcoming changes, she won't have the damage to compete with the utility mages that are invading the support role. She needs hundreds of AP to have the same amount of utility she had before but will have less damage.

What did you expect? I don't want to see traditional AP champions to be nerfed just because the community may not embrace the balance team's interpretation of what supports should be. But I have very little hope for that considering how the balance team has been "buffing" and nerfing champions recently.

Skaarrjj

11-20-2013

Quote:

Jatt, I think you're awesome, but you've opened up a can of Olaf's you'll never be able to put a lid on ever again.