"Hey Sona what do you think of the upcoming support changes?"

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mokkun

11-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rijda View Post
Because you could really put that AP ratio to use in games where you went Shurelya's, Locket, Sightstone, CDR boots and...

Oh wait you never got to build anything else.

I've gotten to build 6 items on supports not infrequently this season.

I get 40-120 AP worth of stats tops. That 40 is the Twin Shadows. It's a big stack of utility items, which while awesome, do not in fact grant great gobs of AP.

It's not even that I can't afford great gobs of AP, it's that I want the utility because other people aren't getting those items.

RisingPhoenix34

11-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Never Wins View Post
because AP SUUUPER affordable now

especially for supports
Then why pick a support when you can pick a mage and be a million times better all game?

EUW ForumAcc

11-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokkun View Post
I've gotten to build 6 items on supports not infrequently this season.

I get 40-120 AP worth of stats tops. That 40 is the Twin Shadows. It's a big stack of utility items, which while awesome, do not in fact grant great gobs of AP.

It's not even that I can't afford great gobs of AP, it's that I want the utility because other people aren't getting those items.
Understandable - you aren't scaling very well off AP right now anyway.

To make building AP worth on Sona "right now", you gotta build a lichbane already.

chumbler

11-20-2013

Pro tip: Within two weeks the situation will go straight back to pumping all extra gold after mandatory buys (such diversity and creativity in build options!) into wards.

But hey, keep whining, support circlejerk. You already got Riot to implement some of the dumbest changes yet because you wouldn't shut up about support gold income (which was never the actual problem). Maybe you'll succeed in taking down all AP champions with you so that the game can be Riot's desired paradise of bruisers and ranged carries.

wwdyYERG

11-20-2013

I used to play AP sona mid. D: GOODBYE MY PRECIOUS

Maximum Graves

11-20-2013

~~

THE FECKFACE

11-20-2013

Explain to me how Sona was nerfed.

If you consider a 5-20 heal reduction on her W, and a 2% reduction on the 1.5 second active speed boost from her E a nerf, then I get it. Otherwise I'm at a loss.

Edit: I should clarify I mean support Sona.

Rozzeta

11-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rijda View Post
Because you could really put that AP ratio to use in games where you went Shurelya's, Locket, Sightstone, CDR boots and...

Oh wait you never got to build anything else.
This is not about what she couldn't do before, but what she can't do now when compared to others who can.

fieryfate

11-20-2013

Real-life Sona's reaction after reading the changes on her computer:

Name:  13904482.jpg
Views: 3367
Size:  302.3 KB

Jatt

Associate Game Analyst

11-20-2013
1 of 2 Riot Posts

I think you guys are missing the intent of the support changes, where you see AP ratio reductions and you immediately think the champion is nerfed. Take Sona for example, AP ratio reductions on her Q, and also a big hit to her Ult taking it from 0.8 to 0.5

We need to get something clear: AP is not the only way to scale a champion with gold Sona is not a mage, she is a support. She doesn't need a 0.8 AP ratio on her ultimate to be effective.

But Jatt, what am I going to do with this gold if I can't scale Sona with AP like a mage?
- Sona scales remarkably well with CDR and mana regen. The base values on her abilities are high, and the aura's she provides have ridiculous gold value. Additionally, if you can cycle your spells faster you get substantially more power chords which can make you a beast in teamfights. Also, since you're building CDR you may as well make yourself a little bit tanky. This way when a DFG Ahri comes at you, you might actually have a chance of living for more than .5 seconds.

I'm not saying that support Annie and support Zyra or support Lux who scale like traditional mages aren't going to be effective bot lane, I'm saying that traditional supports have multiple ways of scaling that don't have to include ability power and they are equally as strong. It's going to be a trade-off.

Support Annie and Support Fiddle are going to be better than before. They have AP ratios, they have more gold, they're going to do more damage. Sona and Soraka also have more gold. They get to be tankier, they get to have more CDR, and they get to have a more powerful impact thanks to their increased team utility.

I encourage you all to keep an open mind.