"Hey Sona what do you think of the upcoming support changes?"

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Maximum Graves

11-20-2013

Going to sleep, don't have too much fun without me
~~

Yezarul

11-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jatt View Post
Sona is not a mage, she is a support.
@Jatt, please make sure you update her attributes in the game then.
Currently clicking on Sona (from champion list) shows that:
Attributes:
Support
Secondary: Mage

Now you are saying

Attributes:
Support
Secondary: Support
Tertiary: LoL Get back to support

The FireWater

11-20-2013

"Buff gold, nerf supports"
Except that the supports have all been buffed, not nerfed. They are now made reliant on AP (or tank stats in a few cases) to provide stronger utility. The fact that they should have a much easier time amassing gold to get said items means that they will be doing more damage and have stronger utility by endgame than they currently have despite the base ability and AP ratio nerfs.

This patch is probably going to be the greatest thing to happen to supports since the creation of gp5 masteries, and yet everyone is crying about it.

Call Me Tonight

11-20-2013

Quote:
I think you guys are missing the intent of the support changes, where you see AP ratio reductions and you immediately think the champion is nerfed. Take Sona for example, AP ratio reductions on her Q, and also a big hit to her Ult taking it from 0.8 to 0.5

We need to get something clear: AP is not the only way to scale a champion with gold Sona is not a mage, she is a support. She doesn't need a 0.8 AP ratio on her ultimate to be effective.
Alright, so she doesn't need the ratio much, and you guys still bother to nerf it. Much contradiction coming from yourself.

Morello said that high AP would make Supports be able to push mages outta midlane and they will become overtuned mage. Please try to play Sona mid in high ELO and tell me how horrible it was. She's already out of the mid lane as mages nowadays are stronger, even though you build AP on her, others are still stronger. Now because on next season you let supports grow, you nerfed Sona so she won't go anywhere besides supporting, WHEN SHE'S ALREADY BEEN THERE SINCE FOREVER.

I swear you nuts hate support. Tell me which red mains support, already tried the changes and liked it. Oh also, don't give me the below Gold rioters of course.

Quote:
But Jatt, what am I going to do with this gold if I can't scale Sona with AP like a mage?
- Sona scales remarkably well with CDR and mana regen. The base values on her abilities are high, and the aura's she provides have ridiculous gold value. Additionally, if you can cycle your spells faster you get substantially more power chords which can make you a beast in teamfights. Also, since you're building CDR you may as well make yourself a little bit tanky. This way when a DFG Ahri comes at you, you might actually have a chance of living for more than .5 seconds.
Sona has been famous for her free aura and crazy early game pokes. Outside that she only exists for the sake of landing good Crescendo. Yet you wrecked all her kits to make her other skills non-existant past early game.

Sona's CD are already generally low. Sure CDR is good for faster Crescendo, but tanky? Tell me you're joking about this. She's like one of the easiest champion to get killed due to her base stats and most of her defensive skills are nerfed. If you're building tanky Sona, not only it'll be half assed, but you won't be able to build other stats as well.

Talk about Ahri, tell me how can you survive when she charmed you for 1.5s with 6s of increased spell damage. There's in no way Sona can survive even before the patch. You obviously are just making stories without actual proof.

Quote:
I'm not saying that support Annie and support Zyra or support Lux who scale like traditional mages aren't going to be effective bot lane, I'm saying that traditional supports have multiple ways of scaling that don't have to include ability power and they are equally as strong. It's going to be a trade-off.
They're effective, just unnoticed until late S3. Zyra was moved to SP due to her harsh nerfs after people crying about her being OP mid laner (while she's actually pretty vulnerable). Lux has been out of favor due to the meta shifting where she's pretty vulnerable to mobile assassins. Annie has always been having escaping problem and pretty obvious move.

They moved to bot lane to be able to use their utility effectively while covering their fatal weaknesses. They're viable and actually deals damage. You people decided to keep them that way (having mage-like strength) while you nerfed the actual supports.

Quote:
Support Annie and Support Fiddle are going to be better than before. They have AP ratios, they have more gold, they're going to do more damage. Sona and Soraka also have more gold. They get to be tankier, they get to have more CDR, and they get to have a more powerful impact thanks to their increased team utility.
SP Annie and Fiddle will do damage. SP Sona and Soraka will deal still the same amount of heal/damage even though you can build more AP on them. All they will get is an extra buff in utility that's almost unnoticed because of the low ratio on utility buff and the skill duration itself are already short.

They're never been tankier. Simply because you decide ranged SP should not be tanky, thus the nerfs. Sona having 1 digit armor at LV1 (without runes/masteries) means tanky? Don't make me laugh.

violatedillusion

11-20-2013

Quote:
I think you guys are missing the intent of the support changes, where you see AP ratio reductions and you immediately think the champion is nerfed. Take Sona for example, AP ratio reductions on her Q, and also a big hit to her Ult taking it from 0.8 to 0.5

We need to get something clear: AP is not the only way to scale a champion with gold Sona is not a mage, she is a support. She doesn't need a 0.8 AP ratio on her ultimate to be effective.

But Jatt, what am I going to do with this gold if I can't scale Sona with AP like a mage?
- Sona scales remarkably well with CDR and mana regen. The base values on her abilities are high, and the aura's she provides have ridiculous gold value. Additionally, if you can cycle your spells faster you get substantially more power chords which can make you a beast in teamfights. Also, since you're building CDR you may as well make yourself a little bit tanky. This way when a DFG Ahri comes at you, you might actually have a chance of living for more than .5 seconds.

I'm not saying that support Annie and support Zyra or support Lux who scale like traditional mages aren't going to be effective bot lane, I'm saying that traditional supports have multiple ways of scaling that don't have to include ability power and they are equally as strong. It's going to be a trade-off.

Support Annie and Support Fiddle are going to be better than before. They have AP ratios, they have more gold, they're going to do more damage. Sona and Soraka also have more gold. They get to be tankier, they get to have more CDR, and they get to have a more powerful impact thanks to their increased team utility.

I encourage you all to keep an open mind.
In a nutshell I heard.....OF COURSE were nerfing their abilities, but now with all the extra 2gold per 10 seconds you can build cooldown and get a more tanky feature. All the while running away and losing bottom turret because you dont have enough AP to actually DO ANY DAMAGE.

GG RITO

Trolololo02

11-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratastok View Post
Lol they actually buffed whoever wants to go botlane and take no cs at all,not supports at all.
Which means you´re better off having Annie/Fidd at bot than Sona (which pisses me off)
**** :`(

Trading Aces

11-20-2013

Quote:

Look buddy, if you're gonna nerf our damage ratios buff our heal ratios. Supports don't run around with survivability because it's a waste. We're not tanks. We don't run up to the front line bashing our overly muscular physiques against bullets, arrows, and magic blasts. We sit back, sit behind, and buff, heal, and shield. Our faces should poke into the front line when we need to smack the unfortunate loser that opposes us (and by this I mean the support and some other teammate) with a tank full of CC.

Pawstruck

11-20-2013

You're so wrong about supports... and we'll prove it to you.

MikeyIke

11-20-2013

Quote:

Right so you just outright told me my Sona ap is wrong, and she is only and will only ever be a support, but you tell me to keep an open mind?...Pick one. You know what makes a game good? Variety and depth, it's totally nice to see you are making sure to take as much of that away as possible.

Nularia

11-20-2013

The last time Riot did anything to actually "Help" supports, not more then two weeks later a whole host of nerfs were given out on various supports.

You seem to think riot EVER actually buffs support tagged champions.