Bye Bye Supports

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zelossage

11-20-2013

Soraka was already pretty weak this season and I got to diamond playing her so I think I'll still play her next season

TheTemplarLord

11-20-2013

Ziggs support for the win

An irritating low-mana-cost poke with Q, a knockback & repositioning tool with W, a damaging slow with E, and a badass ult. Considering a chalice solves his mana problems (as little as they were), why the hell would you choose a champion for support that doesn't have the same or better utility?

I like the Star-goat-chick Soraka, and they really did a lot to "improve" her, but the bottom line is that you can get by in this game without a "support." Hell, you can go much further much faster without a traditional support.

Thanks RITO!

Sty13z

11-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethelon II View Post
I'm gonna agree with Epsi (I'm a support main in diamond though I tend to do other things now).

Even now, it's much easier in soloQ to play Zyra/Annie to carry than it is on Janna or Sona, mainly because of the lane dominance along with solid utility in teamfights.
Hell, I even do Ziggs support when the team needs wave clear and the matchups allow for it. Things like that are going to be even stronger in the next patch, not to mention more fun when you've played every support over hundreds of games.

The role of "Support" is probably going to turn into a utility mage or offtank spot.
http://www.lolking.net/summoner/na/22710362

Diamond II Support main confirmed. Can you give any advice on starting builds/masteries for conventional su[pports (I main Sona).

Obv. 0/9/21 is a must -- I'm referring to the specifics on how to get there.

I like the idea of taking the Wealth Mastery, gives me exactly enough gold for Ancient Coin and 2 Wards (+ Trinket). But those potion masteries look OP!!

The problem is I won't be grabbing potions lvl 1 with my current strat. What would you do, oh great one?

Frears

11-20-2013

riot always does this in preseason. they are gonna undue about half of what they are doing more then likely and probably leave Sona where she is cause they will say she is balanced now. I am a support main and I am waiting to actually get in game before my choice on if this is bad or not. At least I am grateful for the hole not being a ward mule anymore.

Mokkun

11-20-2013

The biggest problems is Riot having a base misperception about the power of supports with items to begin with, along with a failure to remember that if you just get crapped on in lane, you never get items to begin with.

Furthermore, a lot of the utility is movement speed related, and LoL has serious diminishing returns on speed, which reduces the actual power of said utility.

The tank supports will be in pretty good shape (or better). The utility mages will be amazing. The traditional utility/heal/poke supports are the ones getting gutted without proper recompense.

It's not all supports. It's the Lulu/Janna/Sona types. I can understand why Riot fears some of their potential, but I think they are drastically undertuning them in response, and forgetting that amping the power of the champions they don't gut by giving them gold, will leave the gutted ones farther behind, even if they retain pre-nerf power.

Heal n Peel

11-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurosurgeonwolf View Post
AP mids are now going to replace these nerfed pieces of junk. What support even rushes AP instead of sightstone or a support item?
No one, but we aren't barred from it just because we don't RUSH it.

Sophitia

11-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Latona View Post
Did you even try it out on the PBE? Stop making assumptions until after the patch comes out.

THEN you can complain.
How do you know he hasn't? Lol. I have, and right now supports are in an awful state compared to AP mages bot.

Monkey Chanyeol

11-20-2013

I don't want to play Annie support. Or Zyra. Or any other mage that has good utility. I want to play Lulu support. And seeing these changes to my adorable suppordle... it's pretty depressing.

Rozzeta

11-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by JevelFaithful View Post
I'lll talk "in theory" but support will have a lot more utility than mages. Even sona who I think is one of the most damage support you can get while staying in classic supports, still has a mass 2sec stun, a strong slow, a teamwide speedbuff (with a burst), a heal and armor/mr buff for bursts, a flat 20% damage reduction. It's still a lot, more than most mages can even get close. Yes I named everything, but what does zyra have in comparison ? Snare, slow+knock up, slow from plants, vision and zone control? That is still less than sona and we're talking about an almost-support utility based mage. Compared to it, annie (a classic mage) has only a tempo based stun and a bear to tank tower for a few hits.
1.5 seconds stunt. And stop making it sound like Sona can do everything at once. If she's slowing the enemy, she is sacrificing the extra damage and the enemy damage reduction.

Jake Mumbles

11-20-2013

Don't mind me, I'll just be enjoying a completed build with Thresh.