Bye Bye Supports

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bahsko

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-20-2013

The problem with these changes are it makes standard supports less appealing and unstandard more appealing, which I guess when they said they were "opening new options to game play" they meant ditch the old and bring in the new. I can't imagine playing a nerfed support over a mage bot lane now, makes absolutely zero sense.

Rankin

11-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralMitch View Post
I like gems :C
You are truly, truly, truly...outrageous.

Ethelon

11-20-2013

I'm gonna agree with Epsi (I'm a support main in diamond though I tend to do other things now).

Even now, it's much easier in soloQ to play Zyra/Annie to carry than it is on Janna or Sona, mainly because of the lane dominance along with solid utility in teamfights.
Hell, I even do Ziggs support when the team needs wave clear and the matchups allow for it. Things like that are going to be even stronger in the next patch, not to mention more fun when you've played every support over hundreds of games.

The role of "Support" is probably going to turn into a utility mage or offtank spot.

JevelFaithful

11-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight of Virtue View Post
I think people are missing the issue that it's not that supports won't be useful, but rather that compared to other champions supports just aren't as viable picks. Why pick Sona support when you can pick Annie, do 3-4x the damage, and can stun multiple times in a fight? Previously it was because supports did practically 0 dmg (3-4x 0 dmg is 0 ), but now that supports can get ok gold, there is no reason to not pick more damage heavy supports that still have CC over a support that has less CC and less damage (oh sure you can now shield someone for like 300 damage with your support shield, but the enemy AP caster support can hit that shield with a 1500+ damage combo).

It's not so much that support focused champions are useless, just that they use the extra gold less effectively than most AP nukers who have comparable (or in some cases better) CC.
I'lll talk "in theory" but support will have a lot more utility than mages. Even sona who I think is one of the most damage support you can get while staying in classic supports, still has a mass 2sec stun, a strong slow, a teamwide speedbuff (with a burst), a heal and armor/mr buff for bursts, a flat 20% damage reduction. It's still a lot, more than most mages can even get close. Yes I named everything, but what does zyra have in comparison ? Snare, slow+knock up, slow from plants, vision and zone control? That is still less than sona and we're talking about an almost-support utility based mage. Compared to it, annie (a classic mage) has only a tempo based stun and a bear to tank tower for a few hits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethelon II View Post
I
The role of "Support" is probably going to turn into a utility mage or offtank spot.
I think so too. But is it a problem? Once classic supports are brought on par with utility mages like zyra, we basically have a balanced game. Of course, we'll get a few months of balance atrocity before the game gets some kind of equilibrium.

There's also the coordinated scene, you mention that it's easier to carry as annie support, well what if you trust your team to not need you to carry. You can get back to a utility support and probably do more. Remember when thresh was told he'd be useless in solo queue because he'd require coordination? Well I think he's not pick/ban anymore, yet pretty strong in solo (last I heard, he wasn't touched since that time).

SmokingPuffin

11-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurosurgeonwolf View Post
Can't take criticism?

This patch is smashing the single most avoided and hated role in LOL. Absolutely hindering it and making it even LESS appealing- and that was barely possible.

This is ridiculous!
The support role will be better than it has ever been. I am looking forward to playing support LeBlanc, support Syndra, and support Cassiopeia. You'll have more ability to impact the game as a support player than you ever have.

The support champion reworks are looking to be hit or miss. I think most of them are undertuned, but I haven't played them yet so I'm trying not to hyperventilate.

Valkyriana

11-20-2013

Who needs supports when everyone has to ward now.

ProletariatFlame

11-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsi View Post

Nami
Q Ability Power ratio reduced to 0.5 (from 0.65)
R Reduced Ability Power ratio to 0.6 (from 0.7)

Im not sure but 10% and 20% scaling hits on most abilities is pretty big. Considering most of these had very small base numbers and ratios already. There was a reason that supports stopped going mid lane. Because when they actually preformed well with the ap they were nerfed to the point where they no longer were efficient with the gold. Perhaps if you actually played the role you would actually understand.
Again, I am sticking to Nami, but trading some damage on Q & R, which are CC primary abilities for slow scaling on E and the changes to W (bounce scaling) seem like a fair trade. I'm not saying she will be the best support, but I see her as being the best sustain support possibly in the early part of the new season.

Arizel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-20-2013

Out of the 5 ultra nerfed supports (Sona, Soraka, Lulu, Taric, Janna)

I may still play Sona or Janna competitively and Soraka in Normals. Otherwise, I'm sticking with Thresh and Nami.

Then I will continue the mourn the loss of my Sona mid lane, in which I was able to outplay the likes of Ahri, Zed, Khazix, Annie, and even Nidalee.

JevelFaithful

11-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyriana View Post
Who needs supports when everyone has to ward now.
Ever played a game and tought "arg we have no cc, they always get away!!!! *rage*"? This is the support's role. Make a pure damage team, but you'll start to lose.

MasterOfTheOrder

11-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurosurgeonwolf View Post
Yeah, lets make the SINGLE MOST UNAPPEALING ROLE even more unappealing? ARE YOU JOKING ME?

I'm guessing you didn't read about Leona.
If you're going to complain about it, think about how supports will be playing now that they get FREE gold. Think about it.
Or don't and start getting stomped by an ADC getting super buffed by that "unappealing" support.