Bye Bye Supports

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hidden Dragon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLF TAMAMO View Post
it's simple.

When annie and other odd ap supports get too popular They'll get nerfed too **** to compensate for it.

Then midlaners and supports alike won't have to deal with a 3 second fear from fiddle or annie and her notorious Flash>Tibbers initiate.
Annie is already must pick/ban. She has 100% pick/ban rate in OGN and nearly as high in the NACL.

She's the best support by a wide margin and she was untouched in this patch meaning she'll be even better with gold and ability power.

NegaStoat

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teracide View Post
Morello realized that, that's why he stopped posting. There's a good chance he's going to bring this to attention before pre-season ends. In fact, I'd say "count on it".
Nailed it in one. Support casters that could function outside of the support role (Jungle Alistar, Solo Top Lulu, Solo Mid Janna) got nerfed to the ground for two reasons. The first is that for some unholy reason, support casters according to them should ALWAYS be as feeble as Sona - meaning they SHOULD be regulated by design to bottom lane support.

The second reason for their nerfs is that Season 2 Sustain Lane supports were dominating too hard and Kill lanes were more fun to watch on streams - thus, Kill Lanes took charge as sustain lanes were seen as the slightly less profitable route (for a pro team) to take.

So here we are. Riot wanted Kill Lanes for streams, which meant nerfed caster supports, and that's what they got. Is it any wonder players don't WANT to play these nerfed champs when they're trying to play to win?

Axium

11-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellioning View Post
There is option three. Buff supports to the level of current utility mages/bruisers.

Of course, Riot doesn't want to do that. Why, I'm not sure, but I think it's because it involves buffing supports.
Because they don't want laning-phase to be finished for bottom lane in 4 minutes. What they didn't realize though, is that extra gold = extra items; extra items on any champ = more power; more power in one lane = tower blows up faster.

Add to that fact, that AP champs are going to be the go-to supports now. Your bottom tower will be gone after 1-2 deaths of your ADC.

Hidden Dragon

11-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by NegaStoat View Post
So here we are. Riot wanted Kill Lanes for streams, which meant nerfed caster supports, and that's what they got. Is it any wonder players don't WANT to play these nerfed champs when they're trying to play to win?
Pros don't pick favorites. Most pros have admitted they will just play whatever is most overpowered at the time because winning is the only thing that matters to them.

However 99.9% of the playerbase are not pros and would like more than 4 champions viable for each specific role.

SpiritHacker

11-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellioning View Post
There is option three. Buff supports to the level of current utility mages/bruisers.

Of course, Riot doesn't want to do that. Why, I'm not sure, but I think it's because it involves buffing supports.
QFT. Been predicting this (Riot calling a nerf a buff) for weeks actually, and for exactly that reason.

xProR2D2x

11-20-2013

hi mom

mertatron

11-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Sure - it's true this stuff is pretty complex and difficult. Does the short-term Black Cleaver issue (that we then fixed) mean we shouldn't have made the changes at all? That doesn't seem like a good trade-off to me.

If the worries are true, then we'll address it to make sure it's not permanent.
what I don't get is why u make all their supportive ability scale with AP.

for example soraka armor boost could be boosted with her base or bonus armor. so u don't feel obliged to build AP.

the pb right now is u nerfed base utility on most supports and supports usually need 200 AP to reach their old lvl of utility (not even damage) ... but since they now suck at damage, have poor ratios ... why would they build AP .. to have better utility

but if u build tanky cdr, your utility is just worse than before, and that's not fair. you're not a damage dealer, you're a support, so u build defensive items and now we were punished for it.

plus the utility scaling is sometimes on strange places and not on others.

for sona, I would have though her auro to scale with AP, defense aura to scale with her armor/mr ... her speed aura maybe a % of her own ms ... so that she will build differently depending of what is needed. if she builds AP, her Q will be increased, if she builds tanky, she'll be a shield for her team .. and so on.

maybe it's hrder to balance, but since they are supports, why can't they scale of other stats ? and make their builds meaningfull ... u want damage ? ok but then less utility .. u want utility .. ok but then less damage .. mix of both ? ok ...

here u sill won't be able to compete in damage with mages and your utility doesn't feelin meaningfull

last thing, u can build items .. great, doesn't mean u WANT to build AP .. u may want to build tanky, CDR, auras .. as before

for exemple .. soraka needs mana, mana regen, hp, armor, mr, CDR to be effective ... and now she ALSO NEEDS AP ... isn't it a bit too much ? while zyra mostly needs AP and CDR to be good

ZzForeverAlonezZ

11-20-2013

"Supports get an extra 3k gold every game so we are nerfing them to the ground. But dont worry, if they buy full AP items with those extra 3k gold they will almost be as good before." - Riot

"B-b-b-but what about those AP mid that already dominate the support role, like Zyra, Fiddle or Annie? Wouldn't they become superior to the original supports with that extra 3k gold per game and no nerf?" - GD

"Lawl, dont worry GD, 0.04% scaling slow ratio is really good. We are sure that the original supports can compete with those AP Supports." - Riot

- This thread in a nutshell

WalfasWolf

11-20-2013

Meanwhile a sona main somewhere complaining about her nerfs.

~Gimme those delicious downvotes you angst sona mains~

i don't care i actually play supports that require a minimal level of skill to play not "smash my face on the keys and ult when needed" sona

Attached Images
File Type: jpg SonaRun.jpg (82.2 KB, 25 views)

Zecora

11-20-2013

I wonder if Morello is aware of just how unpopular some of his posts or idea's are. I mean, I like the guy, I do. But the constant nerfs are the most frustrating thing bout this game, and I honestly can't remember a thread where atleast one of his posts weren't downvoted to oblivion.

By the way, Suppports will be completely outclassed soon enough.