Post-30 Exp Bar

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Genreninja

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-20-2013

[Edit] Reddit Conversation Here
[Edit 2]LoL Beta Community Discussion Here

I saw a thread several weeks ago about what to do with the EXP Bar post-30, I liked alot of the ideas: Such as tracking your LP in ranked, Setting a "wishlist" and having the exp bar track the IP cost of a champion until you're able to afford it. All of these are great but I sat down and thought of an idea of my own:

Here's my proposal:
Destiny Tokens (Working Title)

General Functionality Overview
Players will continue to earn points as they fullfill their destinies as powerful Summoners of Valoran, that will help to further enhance their experience, status, and enjoyment of League of Legends. The objective of this system is to add color, flavor, and style for dedicated League Players with little negative impact on champion select and game play.

Experience Points
Earned after each match. Experience points are a measure of rewarding and tracking experience in League. Why create a new system for tracking further experience when one already exists? Experience points will continue to be earned after the player has reached Level 30.

Destiny Point
A post level 30 reward for players that reach new levels of experience. These can be used to supplement RP and IP Purchases, acquire new summoner icons, etc.

Specifics on Earning Destiny Tokens and their limits

• A player will earn 1 Destiny Token when they fill their experience meter, after level 30.
  • Only 1 Destiny Token may be earned at a time, and no further experience will be rewarded while a user has an "active" Destiny Token.
  • Once earned, the experience bar will remain full and read "Destiny Token Available".
  • Once Consumed, the experience bar will reset, and the amount of experience required will increment.

Uses for Destiny Tokens
  • Champion Summoner Icons
    • For all intents and purposes 1 DT = 1 Icon of their choice.
    • There is a more complicated tier'd system I'll elaborate on later, that will require the user to bank Destiny Tokens to unlock higher tiers of Icons, Skinned icons, etc.
  • RP Discounts
    • Small Discount of 10% perhaps.
    • DT Discounted champions are ineligible for refund. (My Thoughts)
    • If refunds are available on DT Discounted puchases, only the RP is refunded NOT the Destiny Token.
  • IP Discounts
    • Small Discount of 5% perhaps.
    • DT Discounted Champions are ineligible for refund. (My Thoughts)
    • If refunds are available on DT Discounted purchases, only the IP is refunded NOT the Destiny Token.
  • Loading Screen Borders
    • First, I recommend pimping out the Seasons Borders more. Right now, they're pretty dull.
    • Second, These DT Borders can be half borders, that cover only the bottom half. This will allow seasons borders to still be visible, while further enhancing your loading screen panel to your liking.
    • Various themes can be offered at different tiers (More on this later, for a few ideas see Profile Banners Below)
  • Profile Banner Themes
    • Champion Specific Banner Backgrounds.
      • Like summoner Icons, there is a more complex tier'd system I'll get into later, that requires the banking of DT to unlock higher tiers of backgrounds, skinned backgrounds, etc.
    • Other Themed Profile Banners
      • Minions
      • Summoners Rift, Twisted Treeline, Crystal Scar, and Howling Abyss themed
      • Golem, Lizard, and Baron Themed
      • Limited Availability Holiday themes
    • Id leave Borders to the Seasons
  • Ward Skins
    • Limited Use Ward Skins, specific to the Destiny system.

Experience Required
For my example, the rate of increase after each destiny point will remain roughly on the same curve as it was pre-30. req = Required exp that level, tot = Cumulative total. Possibly a sharper curve, I'm unsure what the average # of games played post 30 is, and at what rate.

1st DT : 2820 req : 42904 tot
2nd DT : 2890 req : 45794 tot
3rd DT : 2963 req : 48757 tot
4th DT : 3036 req : 51793 tot
5th DT : 3110 req : 54903 tot
6th DT : 3260 req : 58163 tot
etc..

Banking Destiny Tokens
I mentioned a couple times I have ideas for "Banking" Destiny Tokens. This is a method of unlocking higher tiered rewards. The full exlaboration of the system will be explained later. But to put it simply when a Destiny Token is "banked" it is removed as an "active token" and no longer available to use. Instead of being exchanged directly for a reward, it's "invested" allowing future DT to be more valuable.
  • A Quick Example, is that initially a user can only use their DT to select summoner icons from a Tier 1 list. After banking X DT, all future DT will be able to be exchanged for Summoner icons from both a Tier 1 list AND a Tier 2 list.
  • Banking will NOT affect RP and IP Discounts.
  • Banking Feature, along with Icons and Theme trees can be accessible through a tab in the Users Profile.

Thoughts and Notes
  • I'd appreciate constructive Criticism of this idea, So leave your comments below.
  • I'm aiming for something robust, casual, with long-term potential that doesn't completely reinvent the wheel and tries to incorporate or enhance already implemented systems and features. Reading other Post-30 exp bar threads, the common theme from Riot when the posted on the ideas was "We want something that benefits everyone, not just normal's and not just ranked, without causing negative impacts in-game such as champ auto-locking etc." and I tried to keep that in mind.
  • I debated if the RP and IP discounts were worth incorporating. And I think they are.
    • I know I slowly work towards collecting more champions and increasing my library so even a small discount occasionally would help. At 5% we're only talking 315IP for a 6300, which isn't HUGE but it's a rough 3-4 game save.
    • If EXP Boosts would be allowed post lvl 30, they would need to be toned down drastically once a player hits 30 OR the curve would have to be steeper. So that they are impactful but don't break the system. Making room for EXP Boosts would also allow increased income for Riot to offset the 10% RP discounts this system would create (which in the long run won't but HUGE as we're talking a rough 90rp on expensive purchases which if my math is right, is less than $1 per use.
  • There were a couple reasons why I set the cap to a universal 1 active DP and 1 DP Cost for everything. Players who have earned everything they wish to earn and do not care about the system, will effectively "Pause" their progression. If and when things do become available that they do want, there journey to the next DT will pick up where they left off instead of having increased exponentially each time they played a game. It also sets a soft limit to how often people are able to use their Destiny benefits, to prevent spamming of discounts, etc. Encourages more game play. Allows the user to feel in control of their achievements. When they earn them, and how they use them. I've always hated having to decide if I want to spend my IP on runes now a save for a champ later.
  • I'll come up with some concept art and throw it up later.
  • Added Reddit Link
  • Added LoL Community Beta Discussion Link

Flames of Rage

11-20-2013

I would like this a lot if it were implemented! Currently only grinding IP to buy champs nowadays, not much to do post 30 besides rank.

Bruffin

11-20-2013

This was very well thought out, and I'd love to see this implemented as a real thing.

Genreninja

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-20-2013

It's true. There isn't much to do post-30. I'm just collecting champs and slowly augmenting and perfecting my rune layouts and mastery pages.

VDragon7

11-20-2013

yes yes yes yes

Hennyo ryuo

11-20-2013

Imo the banking option can also be swapped for DTs that stack up, prices for certain items could be multiple DTs.

Options for buying stuff with DTs:
- Refunds
- If you lack under X RP for your purchase, you can supliment it with DTs. If you for instance have 485 RP, and need 487 for that on sale skin, you can use DTs for the 2 RP you're missing.

Genreninja

11-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennyo ryuo View Post
Imo the banking option can also be swapped for DTs that stack up, prices for certain items could be multiple DTs.

Options for buying stuff with DTs:
- Refunds
- If you lack under X RP for your purchase, you can supliment it with DTs. If you for instance have 485 RP, and need 487 for that on sale skin, you can use DTs for the 2 RP you're missing.
There are a couple reasons I opted to not do this.

First is to prevent it from being "just another currency," it needs to be more than that. If it acts like IP, why not just let it be IP and let the whole system run off IP? And the system is already doing what you mention in your example. If you have 485 and need 487, use a DT to take the 5% off and you not only get the few you need, you save a few in the process. And a HUGE reason, is we don't want to devalue the worth of IP. IP and RP are largely about affecting your in-game experience. DT is about distinguishing yourself from other summoners outside of the rift and flaunting your prowess in a way that appeals to you. Whether its through fancy loading screen borders and summoner icons, or by flaunting an impressive collection of champions you're loyalty rewards should cater to that. Thats the purpose of the discounts, not to supplement, replace, devalue IP and RP, and certainly not make it easier to obtain. It needs to affect current systems as little as possible.

Second is that this is a alternative approach to advancement and achievement. I consider completing a game an achievement. Each time you complete enough to earn a DT you've reached a milestone and get to pick your reward. You shouldn't have to "Save up" or "work towards" a reward. You're already doing that by playing 100s of games and staring at Damage Recap Screens. If you're buying Runes, Champs, or skins, Enjoy a 5% IP or 10% RP discount. If you want cosmetics, invest in them. But when you earn a DT it's an award, and you can control how it manifests.

Third If you only have to "save up" once to reach higher tiers through banking, then it kinda makes refunds pointless. Since if you save up for Tier 3 Leblanc, then get accosted by Garen and decide he's you're new favorite champ. you only need 1 more DT to get him. no need to refund and respec you're rewards. It also prevents you from feeling like DT's you've used as discounts have been "lost" when they aren't counted in your refunds.