A Plat I's opinion

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Porkcchop

11-20-2013

I got to diamond with almost only top, but I jungled when I had to.

Rrett

11-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhunter228 View Post
Yeah, well, you're wrong.

A quick look at your match history and ranked stats tells me that you either play all of your ADC's mid, or you're a passable AD carry as well. You also have some games as supports, so...

It's better to get really good at one champion that can play multiple roles, than to concentrate on one role and suck when you eventually get shoehorned into a position you're not comfortable with.

But, let's face it. You specialize as a mid laner, but you're a passable player everywhere else, and THAT is why you are in Plat I.
Lets take a whole season worth of play, and condense it into something shall we? problem with this, is while condensing we lose some information.

I actually Just was a little bored of going mid quite recently and played a lil ashe. Mid was already taken and I didn't feel like causing more friction. I also felt like playing ashe at that particular time. First time playing an actual adc champ in like 5 months. Though I was already plat 1 when I played that game.

A while ago I did play some actual support champs. That was like 2 months ago. I assure, 95% of all my games played to plat 1 was people I play mid.

Also I started out in Silver 1 after placements. It's been a long season of improvement. I still assure, I played almost all my games as mid when I was climbing the ladder.

I was still terrible at ashe and my team 100% carried me the game I actually did win as ashe. Their was also a dc on the other team.

Like support, you don't have to be good in order to not suck as adc.

l3atman

11-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrett View Post
That's not entirely true. What I've found is if you're very comfortable with your situation, you tend to analyze things better, and see the bigger picture.

It's most noticeable when You're learning a champ. You Fail to see certain things and pull of what you're trying to do, whereas if you're very comfortable in what you're playing, you're more aware of whats going on.
This has a much bigger effect than what you tend to notice.
Being accustomed to a champ is a massive part of playing well.
I didn't say anything about being comfortable. The point is being comfortable in all facets of the game. If you only play one role, you're getting the tiniest fraction of depth from the game. And honestly, it's not too hard to learn multiple roles. Many facets carry over, not extending, warding, etc. And characters only have 4 skills, it ain't street fighter.

If you honestly believe you are better off only knowing one lane/character I don't know what to tell you

taotico

11-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3atman View Post
I didn't say anything about being comfortable. The point is being comfortable in all facets of the game. If you only play one role, you're getting the tiniest fraction of depth from the game. And honestly, it's not too hard to learn multiple roles. Many facets carry over, not extending, warding, etc. And characters only have 4 skills, it ain't street fighter.

If you honestly believe you are better off only knowing one lane/character I don't know what to tell you
This is the thing. I would rather be able to play a certain position, or a certain champion at diamond level, than be able to play all roles and many champions at a mediocre level.

CS3Narutoi

11-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zydion View Post
I played only Chogath from gold to diamond this season... any other champion I tried when I was bored with Cho I lost more than I won. I played him top, mid, jungle or support though. Mainly Top.
And~~~Let me guess...Kog'Maw Marksman? XD

SlumlordThanatos

11-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrett View Post
Lets take a whole season worth of play, and condense it into something shall we? problem with this, is while condensing we lose some information.

I actually Just was a little bored of going mid quite recently and played a lil ashe. Mid was already taken and I didn't feel like causing more friction. I also felt like playing ashe at that particular time. First time playing an actual adc champ in like 5 months. Though I was already plat 1 when I played that game.

A while ago I did play some actual support champs. That was like 2 months ago. I assure, 95% of all my games played to plat 1 was people I play mid.

Also I started out in Silver 1 after placements. It's been a long season of improvement. I still assure, I played almost all my games as mid when I was climbing the ladder.

I was still terrible at ashe and my team 100% carried me the game I actually did win as ashe. Their was also a dc on the other team.

Like support, you don't have to be good in order to not suck as adc.
Yeah, you've played some ADC.

I also see a fair amount of jungle and top lane, unless you're playing all of that Singed as a mid.

My point is, you don't play mid to the exclusion of all else, as you claim. You play the majority of your matches as mid, and that is perfectly viable.

But you are a good enough player so that, on the off chance you don't get to play mid, you can at least contribute no matter where you are placed.

So, in conclusion, it is okay to main a role. It is not okay to tell other players to neglect other roles and/or force your team to build around you. This just prompts people to either say "I'm playing mid whether you guys like it or not, because some dude made it to Plat I doing this" or "I don't know how to jungle/support/whatever because some higher-level player told me I didn't have to learn other roles!"

Tesla23

11-20-2013

Came into this thread expecting it to be upvoted.

Left dissapointed at GD's stupidity

Op is right I hit plat maining top and exploiting pre nerf Corki.

CapnChoGath

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zydion View Post
I played only Chogath from gold to diamond this season... any other champion I tried when I was bored with Cho I lost more than I won. I played him top, mid, jungle or support though. Mainly Top.
You are now my favorite rioter.

We should totally chat about cho strats.

http://www.lolking.net/summoner/na/19854672

Rrett

11-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhunter228 View Post
Yeah, you've played some ADC.

I also see a fair amount of jungle and top lane, unless you're playing all of that Singed as a mid.

My point is, you don't play mid to the exclusion of all else, as you claim. You play the majority of your matches as mid, and that is perfectly viable.

But you are a good enough player so that, on the off chance you don't get to play mid, you can at least contribute no matter where you are placed.

So, in conclusion, it is okay to main a role. It is not okay to tell other players to neglect other roles and/or force your team to build around you. This just prompts people to either say "I'm playing mid whether you guys like it or not, because some dude made it to Plat I doing this" or "I don't know how to jungle/support/whatever because some higher-level player told me I didn't have to learn other roles!"
Im not going to type a massive post as to my elo gains and losses, but essentially every time I did any real Grinding I only played mid.

What a lot of people fail to understand though, is that the enemy team always has a higher chance at a troll, or a dc, or a terrible player, or what ever. All you have to do it no be a heavy object and you're more likely to win.
That being said, you can be absolute garbage at playing a certain role, yet still have your team carry you.
Thus you don't need to be any good at other roles, you just have to play in a way you're not creating a heavy object for your team to carry.

EDIT:
Also I'd like to mention I did not start out as a mid main to begin the season. I started out playing whoever I mained at the time.
I still assure, all my elo jumps where done playing mid though.