Where to practice a champ?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bruffin

11-19-2013

What I do is play Dominion just to get a feel for the mechanics of the champion, and to start to build a strategy with them. After this, I'll play a normal game or two just to see how they do in an actual lane situation, as well as to experiment with builds. After that, head for Ranked if you think you're ready.

Tiure

11-19-2013

I like to play solo Customs just to figure out what the ideal combos for damage are, and also learning auto attack animations. In general, nobody really cares how badly you do in a normal. That's why it's a normal.

Urgot was a lot of fun to play in solo Customs and it gave me a lot of insight into how Urgot can be played, including a number of tricks that Urgot can use to deal more damage to an enemy. When in normals and even coop, I ended up hopelessly confused and was unable to land any Qs at all. Let that sink in.

After complaining about his range for a while, I tried him in customs and realized that he really is fairly strong if you can use him right.

SajeBlu

11-19-2013

Always one bot game for the mechanics. Can you dash over that wall? I learned the answer to be "no" a lot of times when playing my 1 bot game as Lucian, Nidalee, Kassadin, etc.

It's not worth it to make other people deal with these mistakes in a normal (Or ranked) game until you get all the simple basics, missile speeds, etc. of a champ down.

jackspades

11-19-2013

In dominion, you can pick whatever champion you want, you start at level 3, you can build items faster, there are more teamfights, and if you defend bot lane, you have roughly every aspect of laning phase in summoner's rift. The games are faster so you can grab a feel of the champion in a couple of minutes.

fortide

11-19-2013

You play a couple bot games to get the feel of the skills and animations and to test different builds. After that, go to normals. If people flame, mute them. Normals are to practice new champs and builds against real people (as long as you're trying and not trolling like AP Riven). Draft normals are more serious and is pretty much like Ranked without the LP. I recommend practicing draft pick if you don't want to play ranked, but want a bigger challenge.

NA Darklarik

11-19-2013

I tend to go to a 3v3 First, practice my mechanics and general game flow (Push turrets, lanning, Objective securing-Vilemaw,Alters).

After that its auto-locking straight into Normals.

Biracialmage

11-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdaaaaaawg View Post
ignore rioter. bot games will give you a false sense of accomplishment. You'll think the champ does one thing because the bots die in 2 hits, next thing you know you get rolled. You think I could build ap garen in normals and win?
Because the only thing you could possibly get a feel for in bot matches is killing bots. Not mechanics / AA speeds or anything else that comes from physically playing the champ. Nope. Absurd.

LostRaider

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-19-2013

Those who get mad at others for instalocking in normals are just people who got denied in their chance to instalock what they wanted to practice.

Jim Jìm

11-19-2013

3v3

Furfag

11-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdaaaaaawg View Post
ignore rioter. bot games will give you a false sense of accomplishment. You'll think the champ does one thing because the bots die in 2 hits, next thing you know you get rolled. You think I could build ap garen in normals and win?
Every professional fighting game has a Practice Mode that lets you beat up on a dummy. Seems to be effective.