New S4 masteries for Cho'gath

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Svenukm

11-17-2013

http://dpatti.com/s4/#Mks7nlkBvwJAL

Which ones are best? (I'd prefer a focus on ability power, some utility and defense, a sortof all-rounded build)

Thanks!

Cavo

11-17-2013

Standard 21/9/0 build probably. Take the masteries that increase your AP in the offense tree and then whatever you want.

Svenukm

11-17-2013

Is it unwise to take recall, movement speed, and mana regen (10 pts)? Mana at the start of the game is a problem for Cho'Gath, along with movement speed.

Either way, thanks for the help Cavo! I'll probably do just that

VvPurevVChaos

11-17-2013

i would take 0/21/9, tankiness can really help early trades and having the 9 in support will allow you to stay in lane much longer, this is just my opinion on it though, if you want a more offensive start then go with the 21/9/0 although you will most likely have some mana problems, hope you find what will work best for you

Svenukm

11-17-2013

Thank you, Chaos. I'll try out both when they are released.

Damned Scholar

11-17-2013

I am by no means a Cho'Gath expert, but there are a few things that lead me to a slightly different conclusion than the ones posted above:

1. Pre-6, Cho'Gath has a fair bit of sustain and CC, but isn't particularly tanky. He gets tanky when he starts getting Feast stacks and building defensive items, so early Cho'Gath can't rely on sheer tankiness to survive.

2. Cho'Gath's sustain hinges on him killing units, so being better able to last-hit minions and damage champions is going to help him survive in lane pre-6.

3. The Feast mastery essentially adds to Cho'Gath's passive. Since Cho is going to be sustaining by killing minions anyway, it further rewards what he's already doing.

4. The Executioner mastery is really good with Cho'Gath's ultimate, and the Dangerous Game mastery would restore a whole lot of health for a well-Feasted Cho'Gath, on top of the effect of Carnivore.

5. Cho'Gath has early mana issues, since Carnivore doesn't restore enough at low levels to completely mitigate his mana costs.

6. The Alchemist and Biscuiteer masteries offer quite a bit of additional sustain for every health potion you take.

Given these facts, I'd go 21/0/9 to max out Cho'Gath's ability to last hit minions (especially using Rupture to harass and last hit at the same time) and his ability to restore health and mana throughout the laning phase. I'd then set up a rune page with health quintessences, which will give you a lot more starting health than defense tree runes. You'll lose out on the insane extra health from Juggernaut, but Cho'Gath will be a lot deadlier and have better access to sustain with offense and utility masteries.