Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Undeath, Terror and Acid Hunters: Let's talk Urgot

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Loveless

11-14-2013

I used to have fun with him last year and before, but he's so boring now. You use w and e for the slow, then q q q q, repeat. As others have said, you can dump his shield for something else, preferably another damage spell or maybe even something that soups up his passive.

To add, there's nothing else to do as Urgot when your Q is on cooldown. No combo, and typically you don't build crit so his basic attacks aren't special - IF you are in 425 range to even bother basic attacking. For me, I'd like to do more with him than just Q.

Lastly, I think it's cool that he's a "Manamune-champ", but I don't like that he's pretty much forced to buy mana items. If you could look into making his mana pool more efficient so he isn't always forced to rush tear, I'd be grateful.

xProR2D2x

11-14-2013

I think his kit is actually fun, specially the 'lock on' feature. The part where he is ugly and unattractive I think is what makes him unappealing.
I mean, he can be monstrous without being ugly (like kha'zix).

PrinceDeSorrow

11-14-2013

urgot has a pretty damn cool theme and his back story with garen is pretty unique as well, i mean cmon a guy diced up by the demacian might to come back reap havoc on the fields? when i pictured urgot i figured he would somewhat be a bruiser rather than a marksman. building as bruiser felt off, and building him as a marksman took some time, similar to the blue ezreal ( at this point tho you just lock on them Qs to win ). Urgots Q W E skills actually sync well with each other and i have no qualms about those, but his R and passive skill are a bit out his character or rather what i expected from a giant reanimated pieces of flesh melded to a robot.. thing.
favourite thing about urgot?
hit E then Q all day, under tower? huehuehuehue no problem.
what i dislike about urgot
i dont feel the passive and he feels slightly unreactive (or do i not have enough badges to train him?)

so maybe a TL;DR for this would be, urgot is an epic man-thing with good Q W E... but dang the ult and passive just doesnt fit into it..

AwesomeGuy09

11-14-2013

Please look at Gangplank...
He is in a bad position too.

PrinceDeSorrow

11-14-2013

Quote:
xProR2D2x:
I think his kit is actually fun. The part where he is ugly and unattractive is not.

but he is supposed to be a grotesque monster D: i think its fine the way he is, giving kids nightmares of the fields of justice.

SinnerMagnius

11-14-2013

Quote:
If you play Urgot, what is it that appeals to you about him, both in terms of theme and gameplay?

I like feeling like a huge yet sluggish monster that might not always hit someone but will totally ruin them when I do. It's sort of the same thing that I like Cho'gath for really.

I'm also probably in the minority here but I prefer it when Urgot is viable in a solo lane, both his theme and gameplay don't really fit the marksman + support bot lane style due to his lack of benefits from auto attack items. To me he fits the AD caster mid/top style much better and would be healthier for the game if he was kept away from other marksmen since he tends to be toxic when he's viable in that role.

Quote:
Which of his abilities define what it's like to play Urgot for you?

His Q, E and Ulti. Quite honestly his shield doesn't feel right on his kit. If I could make a suggestion it'd be to shift the slow from it to his Q but only when he's locked on with his E and by a much reduced amount, I guess something similar to trundle's Q.

Quote:
When playing as Urgot are there things that feel unnecessarily difficult to do or ineffective?

Remaining useful past mid-late game has always been a problem on Urgot. When he is useful at those stages it's mostly been because he was overbuffed and viable with a pure tank build which made him extremely unfair to play against for the enemy team. Feeling like an asset to the team with an AD build during late game has always felt pretty hard, I understand he has to have trade offs but it's always felt too extreme. An AD build will totally steamroll early game when played effectively but be useless later on, smoothing out the power curve and bringing both ends more into line would be nice.

Just as a disclaimer, I haven't played Urgot in a long time. I used to love him mid lane in season 1 and played him in various roles in s2 but admittedly ignored him during the past season due to his issues. It makes me happy he's finally being looked at though.

LandoPGriffin

11-14-2013

I believe a ton of good points have been made at least on the first page regarding Urgot's position. I usually run him as a solo top lane. Generally he feels like too "safe" of a pick in blinds considering his ability to bully out an unsuspecting AD Brawler or even the occasional Teemo or Vlad.

Something I have not seen being mentioned so far (at least what I've skimmed) is in fact Urgot's Passive: Zaun-Touched Bolt Augmenter

Simply described as:
Urgot's auto-attacks and Acid Hunter reduce all damage that his target deals by 15% for 2.5 seconds.

So why do I bring up his passive? It is fairly simple however I do feel that it is looked over as well since it fits his kit very nicely. The Augmenter allows him to discourage constant push in from high damage sources in both a defensive and offensive manner. Also you can lower 2-3 targets damage output consistently by efficiently using auto-attacks on alternative targets while focusing priority Acid Hunters.

In addition Urgot does not feel like any other champion, because of his mechanics being unique to him.

1. An ability that reduces damage output by percentage. Very rare, Mao being the only other off the top of my head.

2. An ability which reduces armor, providing even more shred for the ADC if you are running him toplane. Not nearly as rare, but very team fight oriented.

3. Constant harass/counter harass which is further rewarded with skilled timing and placement. The Homing effect alone is one of a kind, at the moment at least.

4. A long range AD ability that applies on hit effects. Very rare as well. Ezreal and Gankplank have one, can't remember others if there are any others.

In my mind when I play Urgot I feel as though I'm the Artillery truck of LoL. Priority is keeping the player at just the right distance through both abilities which punish those that stay in range and those that prefer to push inside of it. I'm actually a tad surprised that Urgot was not used more in S3 considering the large amount of assassin play. An off-tank Urgot should be able to not only stop potential back lane ganks, but literally turn such a boisterous move into a 4v5 team fight. I've been able to save/pull back champions through such an ambiguous ability.

All in all if I were to say something does not fit into his kit nearly as well I'd have to say it is his W: Terror Capacitor. Since usually I don't build AP Urgot ever, the shield part of it seems like wasted Power and doesn't feel terribly effective. It does have a low cool down and does allow you to catch an additional Acid Hunter or two. Yet it feels like the limp leg of the crab.

So in closing, I love Urgot! Misunderstood, and actually very useful when you think about all the angles that he can provide a team. I believe running him as an off-tank is fairly effective and would love to see him stay viable as a top laner. In addition, Crabgot could really use some love. More crab please! ^_^

blah12321blah

11-14-2013

I always wondered why his Q doesn't apply onhit effects, which punishes you for building lifesteal and then damaging anything with Q.

I don't get why it has a cast time either. He should be able to drive-by with Q since he has 4 legs, and that would be much better both thematically and gameplay-wise. Right now it's just an inferior Ez Q/Jinx W.

The EQ lock-on, while great for defining personality, lacks counterplay and i suspect that is why you had to nerf Urgot so hard irreversibly.

His shield should allow him to win trades and chases but that only seems to work early. Later on the shield blows up so fast you might aswell not have a slow.

Maybe ex-berzerker zombie machine ex-executioner now-self-avenger tank ADC is abit too much to put on a single character.
In any case, keep the twisted frankenstein theme since it's the only one in League.

He has 2 damaging abilities grand total, and they don't scale that hard with bonus AD. In combination with his low non-EQ range, it's very frustrating for DPS oriented builds. Also since he has to interrupt himself all the time to cast Q and auto, that makes chasing much less efficient.

I always felt really uncomfortable using Q since it's an auto-smartcast that regularly made me overextend the first times i played him. With already short range it's all the more painful when you end up in turret range while you just wanted to poke from outside of it. But that might just be my mechanics.

Overall if you kept the theme, somehow made EQ lock-on less toxic, and ditched everything else, i wouldn't mind.

Wertilq

11-14-2013

His early mid game feel really good, I've played him mid some and some as ADC. His lack of mobility is one key feature of him that makes him feel more menacing, and while a REALLY good ulti feels great to get off, most of the time the ulti is just... strange.

His late game really sucks, and part of the reason is that his acid hunters fall off so hard. I think they should be changed so they work like GP's parrrley. For all intent and purposes it's an autoattack, it can crit, it transers on-hit effects. Nerf range of homing effect if needed to, but treat the acid hunters like auto-attacks, and overall Urgot's scaling would be much better.

Change his ulti into something more appropriate for a menacing death-machine, something that feels like TONS OF DAMAGE, or something that aids with utility him in his death-machining. Most important is to keep him imobile and clumsy, a bulldozer with long range rockets.

When playing against urgot, his extreme range of acid hunters homing is what is most frustrating, and how easy they are to hit. If you get hit by the acid-bomb, you then can only run away from him. He feels a bit binary.

tl;dr; His late game and ulti is a big turn-off, his low mobility and acid hunters early game is what feels good.
Low counter-play on his EQ combo is what is frustrating to play against.

DaReelSlimShady

Recruiter

11-14-2013

It's clear that what people love about him is his E into multiple Q's combo. I personally also like his multiple passives, like the slow he gets when he gets his shield or his actual damage-reducing passive. What sucks about him, however, is he's mana hungry, and his auto attack range sucks. It's a lose-lose situation with him, especially played bot lane.

Also, It would be nice to maybe have his Q apply on-hit effects, even if it's just to test it and give feedback on it. Since he needs to get a manamune anyways, giving him the ability to use the infamous ezreal blue build would be great for him and allow him to chase or kite better once he get's an iceborn gauntlet.