Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Undeath, Terror and Acid Hunters: Let's talk Urgot

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Uratoh

11-14-2013

I'm going to agree with the 'pick a role you want him to fill' crowd, and I kind of vote for rangey fighter. Kind of the similar role Quinn's found herself in (and I love me some quinn). His shield really is probably the weakest part of his kit, especially since it's active status is tied in to the slow of his projectiles, and while his ult can be situationally useful (like most any ult) When I played him some I never really 'wanted' to use it...since it may make me tankier, but it also supressed ME for the duration. I'm not saying 'let him move freely during it' but it might actually be a good idea to make his ult something like 'Supression Mode' wherein it becomes a super version of his W (which would obviously be something else now), granting him a stat beef up and making his artillery slow things on impact, or maybe going the ryze route and making his attacks do some AoE splash?

Whyu

11-14-2013

I don't think I've ever seen anyone ever use Urgot R in game effectively.

It's one of the worst ultimates in the game because it doesn't really feel like an ultimate. Let me put it this way: Blitzcrank's Q is better than Urgot's R. I'm wondering if anyone would actually disagree with that statement. It's the most frustrating ability to use. When I do use it, I feel like it would have been better to cast my W so that my poke slows and just use that instead.

I really hate his ultimate. It's the only reason I stopped playing Urgot. His ultimate is just ball tearing.

The rest of his kit is great. Even though his Q is a generic skillshot, the lock-on functionality with his E, makes his Q feel really good. That lock-on functionality is really fun to use, it's really the best part of his kit. The shield/slow from his W is great too. Even his passive seems useful (although, it's hard to tell if it's really doing anything).

His ultimate is awful though. Just awful.

Comedy Kat

11-14-2013

Urgot is one of my mains and I can say I find a lot of satisfaction with him. I believe top is best for him, simply because he is capable of takingthe lane's length to the fullest of his advantage and being able to go against many top lane opponents, despite his squishiness (Much like Riven, to a lesser degree).

In gameplay, I love being able to be a complete lane bully if I successfully land my E skill shot. I also enjoy almost the slippery slope that accompanies him, in that he is very prone to ganks or champions that can jump on him, since urgot has little escapes, is squishy, and is slow. I love also being able to be a huge threat lategame, simply because his ult range pass rank 1 is able to disrupt teamfights if you land successfully it. Its rewarding if used intelligently, but can just the same be bad if you use it incorrectly, which makes sense to me!
I also see the balance in Urgot's late game in that even if he has high damage, he is only able to do it in 1 opponent, and this can easily be wasted on a tank if he is positioned inncorrectly or if the enemy tank is too much of a threat.

In theme, I like how set apart he is from everyone else. He is different from his Noxian counterparts, in that he only fights and is still able to live is only for his desire for revenge, despite knowing how much of an abomination he is and how torturous his life is. I like how he utilizes the Zaun hextech he has, being almost crude but efficient in how hes able to fire grenades and blades (Which I find unique).

To any Rioter reading this, I really urge them to be cautious, even skeptical of the feedback they see in this thread though. Hardly anyone plays Urgot, and even fewer of them play him in (In my opinion) the best way of utilizing his kit satisfyingly.

As for any changes you'll make of him, I only find his shield to be lackluster, but then this comes from how I max it LAST. I find all of his abilities to be useful, including his passive which is very underrated. A simple VU is all I would like to see, since I already love playing him for his kit!

CynicalGiant

11-14-2013

Quote:
Whyu:
I don't think I've ever seen anyone ever use Urgot R in game effectively.

It's one of the worst ultimates in the game because it doesn't really feel like an ultimate. Let me put it this way: Blitzcrank's Q is better than Urgot's R. I'm wondering if anyone would actually disagree with that statement. It's the most frustrating ability to use. When I do use it, I feel like it would have been better to cast my W so that my poke slows and just use that instead.

I really hate his ultimate. It's the only reason I stopped playing Urgot. His ultimate is just ball tearing.

If Urgot had some sort of AoE around himself or something that made you NOT want Urgot next to your team his ultimate and its low range would actually be pretty awesome and balanced. When his gameplay is just E and Q people to death it doesn't feel all too great to use his ultimate.

Vamas

11-14-2013

I love playing Urgot mid (though listening to QQ from picking him is annoying). I wouldn't mind seeing him have a slightly better late game. I know that's hard to ask as he has a good early, but it really feels like he just falls off way to hard late game.

Orrrrrr, could his shield have AD scaling like Riven?

Redeemed In Fire

11-14-2013

Urgot has a lot of deceptive tankiness from the largely invisible 15% damage reduction and huge armor/MR steroid from his ult. As an urgot player you learn to grasp the effectiveness of these, but playing against him it's still a ton of "dafuq is he not dying for". Couldn't say how to solve that, its possible visual effects could communicate it well, but I'd personally lean towards shifting the power to more visible locations somehow.

I also agree completely with the complaints about his ult. It's an initiator ult on a ranged poke-brusier/bully, and has next to no direct kit synergy.

Smoqueed

11-14-2013

Quote:
CynicalGiant:
If Urgot had some sort of AoE around himself or something that made you NOT want Urgot next to your team his ultimate and its low range would actually be pretty awesome and balanced. When his gameplay is just E and Q people to death it doesn't feel all too great to use his ultimate.

Yes this! It feels bad to Ult as Urgot because you know you're likely dead. It is almost the same situation as Yorick where when it comes to lategame all you do is walk around and ult something. It Urgot had a Strong AOE damage aura with a nasty effect on top then ulting would make the enemy go haywire because they just got dropped a nice present in the middle of them. I feel like an ability like that could replace his Shield. His shield kinda...sucks.

Wyl

Recruiter

11-14-2013

Hi Meddler,

Urgot has been the biggest question mark when making and updating my balance thread HERE (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2422094) so much that I just skipped over him again and again.

I'd like to say that the Champion's kit is good in itself, but it's not at all. We saw at moments when he got strong that the experience was incredibly bad to play against. If it has been true three times already, it will most definitely be a fourth time again.

Furthermore, his playstyle isn't very diverse, the most meaningful thing would be a well-timed Ultimate (which is kind of weird for a Carry-ish type Champion by the way). He has a good "Anti-Marksman) feeling that is extremely valuable as an identity that few Champions possess in the game. We want to keep that.

With that in mind, I think his Passive is the one skill that should remain untouched by any changes (except perhaps number changes).

His Q is the hardest one to change, because it's currently what defines Urgot as Urgot. I think it could remain like that.

His W is the least interesting asset in his kit by far, yes it provides slow on his missiles, and a shield but the thing is that his Ultimate/Passive already serve as his "defensive" mechanisms and that a shield of that sort only allow for more snowball potential : oh I hit you with my E, attack me back if you dare *shield/slows* OR oh I missed my E, *shield+slow* out.
All to say that you could move the slow part on his E, or make a totally new W that would serve Multiple purposes or give him some sort of incentives to Autoattack as well, because that's something you don't feel obligated to do so much, and that's why no one plays Urgot ; his playstyle is unilinear and thus redundant.

His E is okay-ish.

His Ultimate needs some sort of help too. It forces Urgot to build some tanky items because his damage pattern isn't reliable enough and doesn't scale well either. I mean that you could give that sort of Ultimate to a totally different Champion and that wouldn't make many people sad at all. Hey, Alistar would like it a lot actually !!! (joke). I'd go with a more "execute/brutal" type of Ultimate, or maybe a rapid fire, an outgoing poison ring that slows a lot, etc. If you want to keep the current Ultimate, give it some more incentives and not just pretend it's good on the Character because it "shows a difference between good and great Urgot's", I mean, you could give that Ultimate to any Character in the game with that reasoning. If we had an item like Shadow Blade (Dota ref) in LoL, now that would be a great Ultimate for Urgot. What if .... wait his W needs a rework right ?

Make him scary.

TL;DR : Boring to play Urgot in the long run; redundant playstyle, frustrating to play against Urgot as well, rework W, change Ult in a way or another, don't touch passive.

Whyu

11-14-2013

Quote:
CynicalGiant:

I actually think you could take Urgots ultimate, put it on a new tank champion, and have the beginnings of a pretty decent tank. Have some ability to make them tankier, throw in some close range AoE damage, and it's a pretty decent start to a tank champion.

On Urgot though? It generally puts you exactly where you don't want to be.

Nya Poptart Cat

Recruiter

11-14-2013

Simple response.

I like the lock on Acid hunter. Fun fun fun fun fun fun.
It's also cool that he has toxic/poison in his kit. (Keep that please, it's fun to have a sniping toxic user)

I don't like his normal attack range, just feels dumb to me due to urgot being slow and what not= but I also feel weary when using his AA(Afraid to do it).
I don't see a point in his ult. Just straight up, it seems pointless to me other than a "I'm getting dived but this will lock them down for me!" Only viable when used defensively but not offensively.

Now for what I would think would be cool is, instead of having to shoot the toxic bomb to apply posion/toxic, why not give him an aa bonus that uses mana on each AA while also extending his range a little bit. For his acid hunter, if you wish to keep his range low, change how his Q works. Instead of shooting straight, make it artillery style, so that players are able to shoot intended targets, not what is in front at shortest range possible without having to use the toxic bomb.

Another idea would be to make him a hybrid range jungler, how many range junglers do we have that are viable and meant to do it? None? Would be pretty sick if you could allow his kit to jungle. It just feels it would fit there better.