Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Undeath, Terror and Acid Hunters: Let's talk Urgot

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Khell DarkWolf

11-14-2013

I used to play Urgot all the time but with the current way things are played in 5v5's and his kit:

- He is too mana intensive. He can only do 2 to 3 combos of E + Qx2 before he is oom
- Every ranged AD is built to synergize with sustain from lifesteal. This hurts Urgots ability to punish players because the moment he is oom, he is dead weight. Maybe if his Q proc'd on-hits for lifesteal then he wouldn't be punished to be buying common ADC items to contend.
- He is uber slow. Anyone with the right mind just needs to rush urgot and stay on top of him since he is giant rock.
- Itemization issues: Too dependent on items for an early game advantage and then late game comes and falls off way too hard.
- Scaling is wrong for his Q. The fact he has high AD ratio on Q and lowered base damages really hurt his early game.
- Nerfed Q range for lock-on's. Once this popped in, and really set back his playstyle of trying to harass.
- E missile speed. Sort of slow to land, but it all ties in as one of the few things.

His one trick is to just E and lock on Q's, and that can get boring since that is really all he can do is try to zone out people when other champions do it better. Slow movement speed means rushing on top of him puts urgot at risk. His ult only has a few niche uses because it'll put him in danger if his team isn't there to back him up.

There is nothing wrong with his Shield, but overall he needs to blend better with common AD items for lifesteal to keep up with ranged ADC's. Even though he is supposed to be classed as a Bruiser, not an AD carry (marksman).

ScruffyScruffs

11-14-2013

I don't play much Urgot or face much Urgots' but heres my take.

The things that Appeal to me about Urgot Gameplay-wise
-Great poke mechanics
-Flexible Build Options
-Unique Ultimate

The things that Appeal to me about Urgot Theme-wise
-Half Monstrosity, Half Machine destroying peasants with mechanical hellfire yes pls

The abilities that Define Urgot for me
-Low cooldown ACID Hunters
-Highly Rewarding Noxian Corrosive Charge that allows ACID hunters increased range and damage
-Unique Ultimate

The reasons I dont play Urgot
-His Auto-Attack Range, he feels like he needs to weave his auto-attacks with his ACID Hunters but his range is so abysmal that you practically have to be in the enemies face to do it effectively.

When playing as Urgot, ACID hunters feel ineffective in a chase. I feel as though when I've landed a lock-on with E that his Q shouldn't have a cast timer when Fired at a locked on Target, it feels... wrong.

The only Unfair part about Urgot off the top of my head is how his ultimate can still swap Crowd Control immune targets such as Morgana shielded targets and Ulted Olaf.

Eyrgos

11-14-2013

No offense meant, but please do the VU first.

People's major complaints have more to do with his lack of skins than his gameplay.

Wightraven

Recruiter

11-14-2013

I like to play Urgot jungle, and I'd like to keep playing Urgot jungle, so if we can not ruin his ability to jungle, that would be great.

His shield is probably the least effective part of his kit. I like it, and it fits thematically, but it's not a hard and fast part of his character.

His passive is badass, but could use better visibility. That's a VU thing, I'm aware, but I know sometimes you guys do soft particle work before the full VU when reworking a kit like this (see: Twitch).

His canister/acid hunter combo is cool and unique. It'd be nice if it were a bit more... useful without the canister... or if the canister/acid hunter combo were FULLY BOSS to make up for the slight difficulty to execute it. I think this is an important part of the kit.

His Ultimate is strategically interesting and I love it... but... if it HAD to go in favor of something more damaing, I'd live with it. I think it's an amazing ability with a lot of utility, but it's so situational...

Basically I think his problem is he's caught between AD Caster and beefy ADC. He's not even really an assassin. He needs to come down on one side or the other. He's so middle ground right now it's hard for him to show off how truly badass he can be.

EDIT: Wow, look at all those +s. I guess I know what I'm talking about with Urgot.

Mutagenaric

Recruiter

11-14-2013

-The missile lock-on is strong, his signature, and fun - brutal to be hit by, to be sure, but unique and rewarding to perform. I kind of wish the missile speed was faster - it'd get rid of the scenario where you flash and get killed a second later by a missile in the air. It's annoying.

-His ult makes no sense for his kit and isn't fun either to do or to be hit by.

-His poison-launcher is fine, but I think he needs to be weaker when he hasn't landed it, potentially, and can stand to have its damage reduced in return for de-nerfs on his Q, perhaps.

-His terror capacitor is... interesting. The shield mostly seems to be there to give a way to kill his slow. Feels like there should be a more elegant solution to that. Maybe something like the old Xerath-root in exchange for increased range + slows on his Q, or even on his E as well? I dunno.

-His ult. Okay, honestly, I don't hate that he gets a massive ton of free stats from it. That's kind of cool, in a way, I guess, but... is it worth it? Urgot is supposed to be a high-range free-damage force-you-out type champion, right? If he has a tanky-ult, why not something that gives him obscene damage reduction, ghost, and extra move speed, some tenacity maybe, but stops his other abilities while it's active? Call it "War Stomp" or something - an ability that lets him just walk off assassins and get to safety, potentially even from the middle of a fight. An aggro-shake. If we want him to be a long range bombarder with a free defensive stats ult, why not make it something he could actually use? Make him the ADC that assassins can't assassinate, or something. (I'm imagining a big ol' mech or Metal Gear thingy)

GutEveryone

11-14-2013

to be honest, when i first found out about urgot, i just assumed he was partners with singed. they both have that poison, harass, evil-ness to them. both looked like they had taken a punch or two. didn't know he was undead until i read lore.

not sure where to go with this, but those were my initial thoughts years ago

Justlnfinite

11-14-2013

More counterplay is definitely necessary. Get hit by an E, and a chunk of your life is just gone. Most of the time it's incredibly difficult or unfavorable to rush at him to trade when you're hit. The Qs just home in and rip you.

People love this mechanic. Land that AoE acid bomb and go to town with flying missiles. How do we add counterplay to this without changing one of these two skills? I think I have a pretty good solution:

Let's change Q a teeny bit. After an E hits, the range allotted for homing Qs is shown (if you have indicators up of course). If you cast Q within that range, it'll fly there but won't home in. If the enemy is where the Q flies to, they get ripped. It makes things a bit harder for Urgot, but it'll allow for a more satisfying feeling, I believe. You receive the satisfaction of knowing that you hit a skillshot that has varying travel times (based on the distance) and a relatively small hitbox (or not, tha's up to balance team).

In addition it adds counterplay and perhaps room for power/change in different areas of his kit. The acid-covered victim in this situation will know how to react. He must dodge the acid hunters of death to avoid being slowed. They will no longer feel helpless in this position, knowing that they have a chance to avoid their doom.

The main balancing point of this change, I believe, would have to be the radius of the flying missile Qs. They have to be small enough to be possible to dodge, but large enough so that they aren't laughably easy to dodge. That's something that we leave to the balance team. That's all them.

Another change that I had in mind is something that is mere suggestion simply to add to this new Q. Urgot will keep his W slow of course. When flying missile Qs hit, however, his shield duration (or perhaps just the slowing effect, I'm not sure if extended shield would be problematic) will extend up to a cap of X seconds.

Just a thought!

starkey xxx

11-14-2013

I love Urgot, he's one of my favourite champions but I don't play him much because he only seems to lose games. I like playing him as a full ad caster. He's basically a weapons platform and should feel like one. His ult doesn't really fit that, though. It's a cool idea but doesn't work with the rest of him.

If he had rumbles ult, for example, it would suit him perfectly. I'd expect you to be more imaginative than just copying another champions ult, but thats exactly the sort of bombardment i think urgot should be able to pull off.

M0ng00seGangsta

11-14-2013

His ultimate is the opposite of intuitive, and clashes with the rest of his kit. Ranged damage dealer? Stick me in the middle of the enemy team?

Bynaar

11-14-2013

I have not played Urgot much, but from my experience I love his current kit, though I think it could be improved on. I generally liked being a weapons platform that performed the tanky anti-carry. It's really enjoyable to land his e and just home in on a target with his acid hunters. His play style is one of the more unique styles that lends itself to being overpowered quickly based upon the power that is given to him. He either is too good at assassinating carries, or can't do enough.

His power at killing tanks is extremely low until he finishes a lot of items, while his ability to kill squishy targets can be ridiculous. Right now his power is almost near good, though sometimes I feel like his ult makes him lackluster. His ulti and low attack range force him to build tanky in order to not die in fights, but his acid hunter and its synergizing skills supports a mid/long range attack.

My criticisms:
Passive: I think its extremely strong, but its hard to gauge how effective it is.
Q: In the right spot, perhaps scale into late game a little better, but overall doesn't need change.
W: I think this is also in the right spot.
E: Extremely unforgiving if it misses. It almost negates Urgot's ability to assassinate carries. This creates counterplay, but for the cd of his e, his q can be intercepted by other champs or minions thus making him much less threatening to the point where in the middle of a teamfight he can be almost useless.
R: Very strong, but doesn't seem well placed on an anti-carry imo. It punishes an enemy for being out of position, but purposely puts you out of position in exchange. I like this part of his kit, but it also doesn't seem to fit. I find I don't use this ability much.

On another note it's hard to build a teamcomp around Urgot, but this is perhaps a meta problem more than an Urgot problem.

Edit: Mana is also hard to deal with early game. Later isn't as bad, but he can still run out really fast.