Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[Discuss] Shen and Rylais

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Thas Ninja

12-19-2010

Does it work? I mean, it contributes to his high health pool, his Feint and ult scale decently well with AP, and it would make him an even better chaser due to its slow with vorpal blade. Anyone tried it?

Dagyr

12-19-2010

ok

Areia Polias

Recruiter

12-19-2010

I've tried it. It's good to get after you've got the Armor and MR that you need.

hydrogencar

12-19-2010

Maybe as a 6th end game item.

Vidal

12-19-2010

By the time you want to buy it (lategame) the ap is usless to you, frozen mallet gives more hp and damage and omen is always a great choice.

Larson McMurphy

12-19-2010

The slow proc on vorpal blade is nice. Honestly, I always pick up an extra giant's belt somewhere in my build planning to turn it into a rylai's after I finish some other items, but I hardly ever actually finish it. Other things are more important. The MFing Shen guide recommends rylai's btw. You may want to check it out OP.

Thas Ninja

12-19-2010

thanks for the hep guys. I wouldnt buy it as a core item, just as something to throw on at the end

CannibalDragon

12-19-2010

i'm new to the game and have been playing shen. for the item build i always start off with boots, usually the +3 mobi boots or depending on who i'm facing, the ones that reduce status effects by 35%. then i typically get a frozen mallet, then a warmogs, then if the enemy has a lot of dps i get some thornmail, but otherwise i look for any high hp items, even better if they have ability points as a secondary stat to help with my vorpal blade spike. anything i'm doing wrong, or any tips? i've read the guides but i like outside opinions

tl;dr: what are the best core items typically, and in what order should i usually get them? inb4 depends on your opponents, keyword was "usually"

BrettNZ

12-19-2010

I prefer rylai's over mallet just because of the range slow rather than melee slow. The damage makes little difference either way

BadgerDrool

12-19-2010

@CannibalDragon
The issue with high health is there are a number of effects in this game that do % hp damage. And in general low armor/magic resist with high HP just makes you a big balloon. Your still easy to pop.

You really want to raise mitigation alongside/before health.

Also as a tank your "main items" will fluctuate based on enemy team. IE: what is hitting you the hardest.

Last Shen game my item buys where Doran's Shield -> Boots -> Magic Resist boots -> Negatron Cloak -> Force of Nature > Aegis of Legion. I then started on the way to a Sunfire Cape with a Giant's Belt and the game ended.
Why this? Lots of magic damage from the enemy team. Thus I started getting a bunch of magic resist first. I then tried to get some armor and health in good packages.
That set up would be atrocious if I was against all AD champions.