FPS Issues on Death Using Mac Client

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Brentmeister

Associate Software Engineer

03-27-2014
13 of 18 Riot Posts

Hey Mike,

Are you able to reproduce this for any gameplay impacting champions: Karthus/Kog/Yoric/etc? I'm not able to any longer.

There is a bug on Windows as well that has been around for ages where there is a hitch on your first death. It's been on our performance backlog as low priority as it's non-gameplay impacting. I think it has to do with us loading the grayscale shaders for the first time.

Mike4Real

03-27-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentmeister View Post
Hey Mike,

Are you able to reproduce this for any gameplay impacting champions: Karthus/Kog/Yoric/etc? I'm not able to any longer.
I'll play those champions today and see what its like, I don't play those guys too often but my friend who has a newer Mac than me likes to play Zyra and Kog'Maw. I'll let you know.

Quote:
There is a bug on Windows as well that has been around for ages where there is a hitch on your first death. It's been on our performance backlog as low priority as it's non-gameplay impacting. I think it has to do with us loading the grayscale shaders for the first time.
Interesting, someone else also had the same theory on I think the reddit thread about this problem. He was saying it was because the game had to be loaded in gray for the first time.

Mike4Real

03-27-2014

Quote:
Hey Mike,

Yes, I just played a Team Builder game as Kog'Maw. We had a close fight bottom lane and my support Thresh died, the enemy support Leblanc was low in the brush with her clone out. Vayne was low in the lane close to the brush but not inside. I went into the brush to try and finish off Leblanc, she was attempting to use her clone to distract me. I think I autoed that once, then I flashed forward to get in range of the real Leblanc, we were both at one auto from death. As my attack and hers were in the air I froze for about 1 second. I could not control my passive during this time. I was unable to get my passive close enough to Vayne after I regained control and she survived the fight but I was able to kill Leblanc with that last auto that I got off.

EDIT: I have played custom games on 4.4 on both PBE and Live against 1 bot as Kog'Maw where I did not freeze.

I'm playing more games tonight so I'll edit them in as I play. I find it easier to remember my deaths if I do it this way.

EDIT 2: Alright, game 2 of the night, I played Karthus mid on Summoner's Rift. My allied Xin Zhao ganked the enemy Gragas as he was attacking me. Gragas ulted me forwards and did a lot of damage. I flashed into the mid lane bottom side river bush to try and escape. Unfortunately our Xin Zhao ulted the enemy Grager closer to me. He was able to get off a barrel and kill me. I froze for about 1 second. Gragas was low and I could have killed him with my passive using Q's. My friend who was on Skype with me at the time told me to, "Skittle Skittle!" (haha), saying that I could have killed him. I find it worth mentioning beforehand that I was not on Skype during the Kog'Maw game, and I do not believe it should cause significant slowdown to make this issue occur.

Game 3: Played Kog'Maw bottom lane with my friend who played Leona support. Died for the first time in a fight bottom. We were trying to kill the enemy support Teemo. He was able to blind me so I wasn't able to get the last hit on him. Froze for maybe .5 seconds, didn't really matter as much since Teemo was too far away for me to use my passive on him anyway. My friend, the Leona, who also plays on a Mac died for the first time to the enemy middle inhibitor tower. He has a 2013 Mac mini with a 2.5GHz Core i5 (I can get more info from him if you want it, like his game.cfg file). He froze for about 1 second while the tower shot was still in the air above his champion.

Game 4: Played Nasus top lane, and my friend played Zyra mid. He froze on his first death but I wasn't watching what was going on around him so I don't know the details. It happened at the start of his passive when he turned into the plant, but thankfully he was able to get a kill back with it anyway. My first death didn't come until way later in the game during the aftermath of a team fight mid lane. There was lots going on and we were in the midst of retreating form a lost fight. Died to an Orianna ball hitting me in the butt. Froze for 1 second.

Game 5: Played Hecarim Jungle in our last game of the night. Died to a Darius ult in a huge team fight mid lane. Froze for awhile maybe 1.5-2 seconds (Darius was just hanging out frozen in midair for awhile in dunk position lol). My friend didn't have any deaths in this game so I have no data for him.

wumbla

03-31-2014

I can confirm that I also have this same issue. It occurs frequently on my first death, but not as much on additional deaths.
It is still reoccurring, and does have an impact on me when playing kogma, since I sometimes miss the first 2-3 seconds of his passive.
If it happens again I could try to pick up the logs, and I think I do have some video footage of it occurring in a few games.
Hope this helps.

Cløver

04-01-2014

My fps also sky rockets before death, there seems to be a lot of issues with the mac client right now so I'm just going to quit till they make an effort to fix it up.

Brentmeister

04-07-2014
14 of 18 Riot Posts

Thanks for the additional information. I've looked into it but we don't have any leads on it so far. Attempts to time this in the code show Windows/Mac having similar issues on death (and not with Kog/etc). We'll keep looking. Is it possible disk access on your machine is unusually slow? Maybe cleaning some hard drive space and/or defragging might fix the issue. We've seen similar instances with anti-virus getting in the way.

Mike4Real

04-07-2014

Quote:
Thanks for the additional information. I've looked into it but we don't have any leads on it so far. Attempts to time this in the code show Windows/Mac having similar issues on death (and not with Kog/etc). We'll keep looking. Is it possible disk access on your machine is unusually slow? Maybe cleaning some hard drive space and/or defragging might fix the issue. We've seen similar instances with anti-virus getting in the way.
I do not use antivirus software on my Mac. Around the start of this issue a few months ago, I was on a hard drive that was 60% full on Snow Leopard. I have since completely reformatted my hard drive when I changed over to Mavericks, and I have all of my old data on a bootable Snow Leopard external drive. One of the first things I installed after the operating system was League onto this drive, which is now only 20% full. I highly doubt this is related to fragmentation.

On the reddit thread about this issue awhile back, I asked a ton of users what kind of hard drives they have because I too thought it was related to disk speed. I wasn't able to pinpoint any correlation 100%, but there was one person who claimed to have significantly sped up his game loading, and ability to avoid other issues by putting LoL on a RAM disk. I have tried this too, but it didn't seem to help the problem. There is another user on these forums who has a PCI slot SSD and he does not have the problem.
http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflege...ue_of_legends/

EDIT: I did a benchmark of my computer running on 32-bit here:
http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/513688
If theres a better or specific way you want me to test my hard drive read speed let me know and I can do it.

Mike4Real

04-15-2014

Alright I'm home from PAX, you guys had a great booth there btw. How can we move forward from here? Is there a specific method you want me to test my disk speed with? It seems pretty average to me, but I'm not an expert on what number would be reasonable for loading a death animation. Like I said in my last post, I gave you the geekbench link, but I can do whatever you need me to do. Also I don't know why users with SSDs have confirmed having this issue if disk speed is the main determining factor.

Can we maybe look into testing a build of the game where grayscale is loaded at the start of the game? Or a separate one where death animations are loaded previously? Maybe we can use the PBE for something like this? That would narrow it down to is this a grayscale issue or a death animation issue. Maybe even another version where this is no death recap whatsoever. I know you have stated before that it was causing slowdown as well.

Also, can I get the system specs of the computer that you are testing on when you cannot reproduce the freezes on Kog, Zyra, and Karthus? Because I clearly still can, and so can my friend on his newer machine. We need to figure out what the difference is between the machines to narrow it down a bit.

And what are the specs of the oldest 10.6 machine that you guys actually test on? Can you fire that one up and see if you freeze on there?

As I've said before, I can play custom 1v1 games versus bots where I won't freeze, but there is definitely some threshold of champions/activity on the map where freezing becomes an issue. Perhaps I will keep everything constant and slowly increase the number of bots until I can get a number where the freezing usually begins.

Brentmeister

04-17-2014
15 of 18 Riot Posts

Can you trying upgrading to 10.7.5(10.9.2 is a free option if it's available for your spec) and seeing if this helps resolve your issue? With the updated video drivers this might make resolve the hitch. Additionally, because we're ending support for 10.6.8 soon this may be a non-issue. (I think it occurred on newer versions of OSX versions before but my fixes for death recap could have resolved those issues)

Mike4Real

04-17-2014

Quote:
Can you trying upgrading to 10.7.5 and seeing if this helps resolve your issue? With the updated video drivers this might make resolve the hitch. Additionally, because we're ending support for 10.6.8 soon this may be a non-issue. (I think it occurred on newer versions of OSX versions before but my fixes for death recap could have resolved those issues)
-__________________- Are you kidding me?

I know you might be having a long day, but have you been reading my posts? Seems like you have only read my most recent one. I am running on Mavericks 10.9.2, and so is my friend who also has the issue. ALL OF THE DATA that I have been giving you from the past few weeks is from Mavericks.

I need followup on this other post remember? About my disk speed? I was only asking for your oldest machines specs because you have been telling me that you cannot reproduce the issue on Karthus and Kog. I wanted a point of comparison to see what machine you are testing it on. I upgraded back in January. I have Snow Leopard on an EXTERNAL DRIVE.

We need to focus on these things:
How do you want me to test my disk speed? I gave you a geek bench link.
Can we test a version of the game where grayscale/ death animations are loaded in at the start. Or a separate one where death recap is not in the game. That would help narrow it down.