FPS Issues on Death Using Mac Client

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Causation

03-06-2014

When I'm playing I have huge lag is it the client? Oh wait this is Mac client thread. I don't have a Mac.
It must be the servers. My bad.

Mike4Real

03-09-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentmeister View Post
EDIT: Double-checked. It should be on PBE right now.
Well, after playing a bunch of custom games I'm getting some pretty weird results. Some games I won't freeze, but some I will. It seems that every time I play as Nocturne vs Soraka Bot, I freeze, I was able to reproduce this in 3 custom games on PBE. I am able to do Kog'Maw vs Soraka Bot just fine though. If the issue has to do with the death recap then why does it seem like certain champions/matchups are affecting the results?

Brentmeister

Associate Software Engineer

03-12-2014
10 of 18 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike4Real View Post
Well, after playing a bunch of custom games I'm getting some pretty weird results. Some games I won't freeze, but some I will. It seems that every time I play as Nocturne vs Soraka Bot, I freeze, I was able to reproduce this in 3 custom games on PBE. I am able to do Kog'Maw vs Soraka Bot just fine though. If the issue has to do with the death recap then why does it seem like certain champions/matchups are affecting the results?
Nocturne could be an entirely separate issue. When we were porting the Mac initially, we had a lot of issues with Nocturne's "fluid" code for his tail. I think we had to go over it twice.

Death Singer

03-12-2014

Hey Brentmeister, I thought I would just chime in and say thanks for taking the time to talk about this and try and get a fix. I play on a mac, and as a user who gladly supports you with way too many riot point purchases(haha plz wallet is dying), I am glad to see you riot helping out the mac users.

I lag A LOT. Trust me when I say that I have done EVERYTHING that I can find to fix the problem. I even played wired very often, and USUALLY connect to really good internet and have good connection. Usually I am able to play wow and league and have a few streams and Skype up at the same time. Streams dont lag, wow doesn't lag, Skype doesn't lag, but I still have quite a bit of lag in League. Definitely not enough to make me want to quit, but it is frustrating. ALSO, I do experience this lag with NOTHING up in the background taking up connection. (I don't always try to play wow and league at the same time haha) I am located in utah, sit on about 30 ping when everything is going good.

Now about the lag on death, once again it does happen on every death. It makes a lot of "plays" hard. Karthus is very difficult, I usually only get about 4s on the passive(and he is probably my main champion, obviously by the name Death Singer). If I am playing Fiora, my other main, if i take enough burst damage or ignite WILL kill me, almost always I dont have enough time to ult to either save myself or get trades for dying. I always get frustrated when I get bursted and cant drop ignite to get the trade. So I definitely have A LOT of problems with this bug.

Once 4.4 drops and hopefully this is fixed, I will post about if it works for me, and if it changes any of my other issues.

I also have a lot of problems as of late with the "not able to connect to servers" window, causing a lot of my games to be leaves. But I dont think thats really in your control, I understand there has been a lot of DDOS and stability issues on NA for the last few weeks. If you have any help for that that would be much appreciated!

Again, thanks for taking the time to talk to us mac players, it means a lot!

Mike4Real

03-18-2014

Alright I've played a few games on this patch and I believe the issue still exists. It definitely happened to me and my friend, who also has a Mac, on an ARAM game on Howling Abyss today. Later in the night I played some custom games on Summoners Rift. Nocturne default skin definitely still has this problem but some of the other champions I tried seemed alright.

Asatorrr

03-20-2014

I played an aram today as xerath and my first death, which was against a varus Q froze me before the arrow connected on my screen

Worst Anivia NA

03-20-2014

I though I was the only person to have this "Death Lag" problem, until I looked it up. Like previous people have said, it makes making "plays" very difficult due to not being able to flash, or use barrier etc. Many lanes have been lost due to this problem. Just thought I would vocalize that I have this issue as well, as it is very frustrating to play with. Many of you know that saying, "I lagged! alkdjslkasdfjkl" does not go over well with teammates most of the time :P.

Mike4Real

03-21-2014

Yea, I can confirm now that after playing for a few days on this patch, the issue is definitely not gone on 4.4.

MindBullets

03-21-2014

I'll chime in as well. Prior to dying, there is a split second where I think I'm still alive and able to do something. That moment is gone as I realize I'm already dead.
In contrast, running a dual-boot with Windows, I don't experience this problem at all.

Brentmeister

Associate Software Engineer

03-24-2014
11 of 18 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike4Real View Post
Yea, I can confirm now that after playing for a few days on this patch, the issue is definitely not gone on 4.4.
Dang. This bug continues to be elusive. I do know for a FACT that we cut off ~80ms off of death for Mac (when working on this, I have the game log how long each frame takes). Are there any specific champions (other than nocturne) where you notice this is more of an issue? Is it every time you die or does a lot have to be happening?