Cannot connect to server error

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zerkmode

11-04-2013

Ok, so me and my brother can both not log onto league and get the same error everytime we try to log on. I have tried every youtube/forum post help about the issue but cannot find a way to fix the cannot connect to server error. Any help would be much appreciated I did put in a request to support riot website but they take forever so if anyone knows a way to fix it. I have skype if you think you can solve it.

MrGutWrench

11-04-2013

would you happen to live on the east coast of Canada and are with bell aliant?

Zerkmode

11-04-2013

I live on the East Coast but i have no idea what bell aliant is... I use Alltel wireless internet service if you are referring to internet service.

MrGutWrench

11-04-2013

Do you live in Canada ? Lots of people on the east coast of canada are having issues. This may be the problem:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draegar View Post
NA East Coast Player on BellAliant FibreOP.

I've experienced the same issue since approximately the turn of the month, and have narrowed the issue down to a Bell Aliant inter-networking device, presumably a Core Router located at ae5.bx01.mtrl.pq.aliant.net [207.231.227.58].

This hop drops alot of traffic at random, an average of 11% out of two individual runs of 100,000 pings through it to Toronto (my server farm) and Riot's servers. I had a MTR monitor running against the IP addresses my client uses when in a game, and each one of them routes through the ae5.bx01.mtrl.pq.aliant.net [207.231.227.58] gateway.

Based on what I'm seeing, one of two things is likely, listed in order of likelihood:

1.) Bell Aliant's core routing is mishandling traffic from East Coast users seeking destinations west of Montreal.
2.) Riot, or their ISP(s), made changes which affected the published BGP return routing list(s).

Honestly, this is likely a Bell issue; not something Riot can assist with unless they want to drastically change their published routes, which may in turn affect a larger part of the community.

All hope isn't lost, however. You can bypass Bell Aliant's errant routing by using a proxy, such as a VPN client, or the 30-day free trial of the WTFast.com client. I'm not advocating one or the other, nor am I affiliated with any proxy vendors, it's simply what I'm using until I can yell at aliant on Monday, when more than their L1 staff are on shift.

TL;DR - Grab a proxy, VPN, or the WTFast client, launch and establish a connection before launching the League client, and you should eliminate the nasty jitter caused by Bell Aliant's problematic routing. I've been using this method since this morning, and all lag as describe by other in this thread has been eliminated.

Reds, please point to this post to help our East Coast community get back in the game.

Reference: I've been a IT Infrastructure Manager with several small Atlantic Canada companies over the past 5 years and now work as a Network Engineer for a larger Toronto-based corporation.

Zerkmode

11-04-2013

No, I live in the USA Georgia to be exact.

qwertyuiop123456

11-04-2013

I live in Illinois and so many players have the problem you are having. Riot hasn't attempted to solve it. All they will say is make sure your internet explorer is up to date.

Zerkmode

11-04-2013

I'm currently playing thru a german proxy server to play extremely high ping but better than nothing.

repulsivepickles

11-04-2013

What kinda server? I am having the same issue you were, Care to lend a hand?

Zerkmode

11-04-2013

it has around 400 ping east coast so i dont think you would want to know