How to play Akali well?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Raksis

12-17-2010

I saw some Akalis playing solo mid or top and some jungling, but I can never really dominate with Akali. How is she supposed to be played? I go pure AP but the problem is, I never do as much damage as I would like. I try to jump into the fight once it's already started, but why can't I burst like others?

I guess what I'm asking is what skills to lvl first and what ''combo'' to use for the most burst.

Zamphira

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-17-2010

Go on the squishies IN THE BACK. Drop shroud as soon as you arrive. Burst squishie down (Helps if you have level advantage from mid). Analyse the situation and decide weither you want to retreat, retreat briefly or keep bursting. Also remember that your ultimate is an excelent escape tool (There's almost alway a lone creep/champion to charge in)

When you're mid, play defensively until you're 2, then if it's possible keep the ennemy far with your shroud. When you're almost 6, use your marks for lowering the ennemie's hp. About 3/4 or half hp will do for killing him/making him back

The biggest burst you can achieve is this:

Mark
Wait until cd is back up
Shadowdance
Autoattack
Mark
Crescent
Autoattack
Do whatever is up first, possibly spam ultimate for the little bit of damage it does

Blistful

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-17-2010

Go for the squishy carries, not who's lowest.

S B

12-17-2010

Do NOT drop Shroud as your initiation, unless it's a 1v1 where you're certain you are gonna get the kill.

Not only does it wastes A LOT of energy (Keep in mind you only have 200), but it also gives away what you're doing as well as attracting the entire enemy team.

Alex Pan

12-17-2010

The general trend of things for me, is to charge in once the fight has started and try to kill the carry under my W in case I get stunned if it's a really packed fight. When you get stunned (and someone like Taric generally will save a stun for you) under your W, you'll just get stealthed. I generally don't save my W in hopes of an escape because if you're going to get CC'd, it's going to be when you're locked onto the carry, not when he's already dead and you're making your escape. If the fight is more spread out, just use W when you feel like you need it, but never use it as a means to safely get to the carry from where you stand.

The rest of the fight really depends on the flow of things. If I have really low health, I'll try my hand at an escape. If were winning, I can easily dash between low targets and clean up. If were losing, then I'll generally end up dead.

This is assuming you're doing 'average'. If you're carrying you should play more cautiously.

lmaonade200

12-17-2010

Prioritze R and Q above ALL, cresent will not do good enough damage to level it early, at level 9 you should have 5/1/2/1.

take notice of your opponent's items, avoid magic resist foes, and go for carries and burst damage squishes, as they usually do not prioritize defensive items anyway since they need to deal damage.

For masteries you MUST take Havoc, and for your summoner skills, you should never be missing an Ignite or Exhaust (you can even take both if you're laning)

also, you should get items that you think will help you gank early (since most of akali's strength later on will depend on how she does early), for example: I rush a rylai's early (and usually succeed in getting it before 19 minutes) so i can use the slow and the hp and the AP to burst down lanes quickly (it's easier if your teammates have some sort of CC). Sheen to Lichbane is also a very good choice (of course this will probably be obvious to you).

As for combination of skills, I would suggest as MUCH surprise as possible, because people usually do not expect a gank and will react very slowly to a well executed gank. For example: When ganking mid, I will usually shadow dash in first instead of mark, because dash has greater range and therefore your enemy will expect/react to it less (especially if you can dash straight from the bush to your enemy).
Shadow Dash -> Mark is my usual starting burst, of course marking first and then waiting for the next mark for a double activation would provide the most damage in the shortest amount of time, but I just like the range (and therefore surprise factor) on dash more.

Buried

12-17-2010

face -> keyboard -> roll -> profit

seriously though, hold the cursor over your target, hold down shift, repeatedly hit QER as thought you are playing guitar hero on insane.

Greenc83

12-17-2010

Q is definite priority, then I prefer grabbing one in shroud and then maxing out Q then then prioritize R-E-W.

I start with a tomb and HP and if I can, stay laning until I can buy cutlass (the active adds for a good burst early on, and with Tomb and Pickaxe you'll have both passives.

Builiding AP/DMG in a hybrid style does work despite what people say. The buff to the Gunblade is well worth it and the 300 dmg active definitely helps. Rylai's is a definite boost, but it's not normally a huge priority for me cause if I'm going to get the kill, I do it quick, without the need for health or the slow. In and out a quick.

For summoners spells, I'm a big fan of ghost and ignite (both improves with masteries). Work on your juking in the bushes too. Bush + Shroud + Juke = a lot of deaths avoided.

Good luck