Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Comments on Irelia - my 2 issues

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

donkrx

12-16-2010

I'm sure Irelia has been discussed, but I can't search, and nothings been done to Irelia yet, so I think it's safe to repeat it so Riot takes a more serious look at this champ.

I'd love to know what you guys think about Irelia, but I know what my issues with her are:

1) The mechanics of her ult are terrible. It has a ~1 second sub-cooldown between each of the 4 shots, which becomes a real nuisance when you have to aim each shot with your cursor. If you are under pressure and need to fire the shots quickly, while also moving Irelia in a different direction (e.g. moving her back and forth perpendicular to the lane, while firing the ult down-lane), you almost always end up having to stand still for a second or two, making you a bit vulnerable. But it's not really the vulnerability aspect of it that bothers me, its more that its just very awkward to use and not fun. It's also not even that powerful and has a similar cooldown to Katarina's. Katarina's ult is a billion times more effective plus she (Kat) has decent damage in her other abilities too (thanks to the 107 patch).

2) Continuing the thought from 1, overall, Irelia feels like an inferior Akali or Katarina. Without saying Irelia is underpowered, I think it's safe to say shes a less effective (comparing damage outputs) and less interesting (comparing utility of abilities) version of Akali/Katarina. Akali has essentially a portable bush that no one can enter - which additionally acts as a movement debuff useful for chasing or fleeing. Katarina has Shunpo which can be used to dash/teleport to a nearby friendly target, while Irelia can only dash to an enemy target. Again as mentioned Katarina also has a much better ult thats worth more than just finishing off a fleeing low-hp target - it can decimate a group of enemy champions (her Bouncing Blade can also do significant group damage when used with her W). Sure Irelia has the slow/stun which IS a clever idea, but that's really ALL she has, and it's not that helpful outside of 1v1.

Rather than just buff her power, I would like to see Riot A) fix her ult and B) give her a more interesting W ability that overall increases her utility. I don't like anything about her W ability personally and I would like to see a totally new skill for W. Not that I'm expecting that to happen.

Pigrat

12-17-2010

1: If her ult didnt have an internal cooldown of some sort, it would be ******ly op. It can already do more than 1k damage on a ~20 second cooldown... to the entire enemy team, while healing you.

2: I disagree. People try to pigeon hole champs into certain roles and then give up when it doesnt work instead of trying something different. Ive found a few VERY successful builds as irelia which I dont see mentioned anywhere. I'd say overall shes a very balanced champ that has a high skill cap. Shes actually reminds me of a much better version of jax.

She doesnt need fixing IMO, shes in the same boat as corki and swain. They're actually very great champs. Its the players that are the problem. To alot of folks not being able to go pure *insert stat here* = a failed champ. Which is just sad, because if all champs were like that the game would be extremely boring.

MasterofSFL

12-17-2010

I would like a small decrease in her Ultimate's Sub cooldown, .15 seconds or something, other then that really her character overall is very good if played well. I started playing her as an AS/AD character, it was meh, then I just went AD with a small amount of AS and it worked a hell of a lot better.

As for aiming her Ult, it can be hard but you should only be using it on someone either almost dead, fighting up and close or on a closely packed team.

donkrx

12-17-2010

Quote:
Pigrat:
1: If her ult didnt have an internal cooldown of some sort, it would be ******ly op. It can already do more than 1k damage on a ~20 second cooldown... to the entire enemy team, while healing you.

2: I disagree. People try to pigeon hole champs into certain roles and then give up when it doesnt work instead of trying something different. Ive found a few VERY successful builds as irelia which I dont see mentioned anywhere. I'd say overall shes a very balanced champ that has a high skill cap. Shes actually reminds me of a much better version of jax.

#1 =======================

First of all, my complaints are not at all that it (the ult) doesn't have enough damage. If Riot does read this I want to be clear that what I don't like about Irelia's ult is the mechanics of it; it is extremely awkward / difficult to use in battles simply due to poor design. The reasons it is awkward are detailed in my OP; I won't repeat them here. Am I really the only one that feels this way?

I don't think it would be OP at all even if it was possible to hit every blade every time on a single target (i.e., not do damage after passing through one target). But even if it was OP, they could always adjust the damage output after fixing how terrible it is to use. That point is therefore moot (also, there are other champs that do comparative damage or even more damage with their ults; Kat is one).

#2 =======================

This isn't about score, nor pubstomping. Dont pigeon hole ME into a category of people that complain simply because a champ isn't easy enough to dominate with. That's not what I'm doing here. I'm not looking for a Morde-strength assassin that is mind-numbingly easy to use - my main champ is Anivia and I prefer a character to require skill. It's just that Irelia is pretty mundane and has almost nothing unique or interesting about her. Considering what her abilities are she is not great in team fights, though I do think she is decent at taking out targets 1v1. Overall not very useful, not unique (she might be fun for you, but that doesn't make her unique). Again, those complaints are not about score.... it's about utility.

Please also enlighten me how she significantly contributes to team fights.

cloakuncloak

12-17-2010

Quote:
donkrx:
#1 =======================

Please also enlighten me how she significantly contributes to team fights.

in team fights, being able to stun someone (after teleporting) is a great way to save a teammate, and her ult just rapes minions, while healing her up to full assuming you aim it properly.

the only issues I have with her are vs aoe pushers like karthas or malz, she dominates pretty well everyone else with a good AS setup.

Erenia

12-17-2010

Her Bladesurge reset Cooldown and is one of the best farming mechanics in the game, neither kata nor Akali farm as well as her. I take Clarity for increased earlygame farming and it is not unusual that I beat both midlaners as a dual laner (much to lanemates grudge).

Her Hiten style.. Sure I level it last cause I honestly do not gear attackspeed nor autoattack too much, I focus on timing Bladesurge. Take one rank at 4 then leave it untill I have to level it. Can be a handy damage increase though, especially against armorstackers.

Her Equilibrium strike is awesome. I build a pretty tanky mode Irelia. Cause her skills stack with different stuff I just choose not to stack em at all. You survive well, still deal good damage to carries and you do not need to be afraid of running around on half HP for free chargestuns for your team.

Ultimate.. Multipurpose, if low on HP I use it on a minionwave as a big healing spell... The strongest healing in game if targeted through an entire minionwave all shots. I use it in teamfights to gain a little more damage, I use it when chasing. I use it when running away. After you put the blades up, it take 0 casttime, you can shoot em backwards while running or forwards while running. Seen so many stupid irelia's stand still while they cast it. I think it's mayor power it that you can start it up outside the fight, then use it in the fight and loose nothing attack/otherspellcast time wise.

Against heavy CC teams and you get the magic ress boots. CC has less then 50% time on you in teamfights.. and that is a lot.