How are you doing tonight?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

OneDragonArmy

11-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by bérnkastel View Post
im sick. I can only get like an hour of sleep at a time. im also starving but all the restaurants just closed. and im a college student so no food. also head pounding, getting hot/cold flashes.
I feel for the people who get sick during winter months. I find it strange that I don't get sick nearly as frequently, it seems a bit unfair. Headaches, though, I can sympathize with well.

Bad Galoshes

11-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelnath View Post
A lot of people did. However, Blizzard had more than a few people who loved dota and did little tweaks where possible to the War3 engine to help them out over the years.
Cool, I actually didn't know the engine changes were specifically geared towards DotA.

Notdeathstalker

11-01-2013

Quote:
Sure, let's talk about balance. But not any specific champion's balance. Let's talk about what it takes to balance a game as a whole, while keeping interesting parts of the game maximally imbalanced.

What do you think is the secret to this magical mix?
I think balance has to make champions better at what they do in a unique way instead of trying to making them all around decent at everything. Take Maokai who I believe is a rather balanced champion, he is a jungler and excels at team fighting with extended fights so he can get his passive off and get his ultimate to its maximum potential. He has certain build paths that can counter his main weakness (the amount of mana he needs to be effective) but this also lowers how tanky he can be. This makes him balanced.

Counter to Maokai there is Zed who although wears his assassin tag excels at most things, Farming, splitpushing, dueling (even agaisnt some of the strongest opponents he can come out on top), escaping and allowing for outplays. Not saying he is particularly op but while he can assassinate very well he can also do everything else to a rather high standard. Maybe its the fact that we dont have many mechanics outside of a lot of damage that allows for assassins to do their jobs.

I think giving people CLEAR downsides but ways to minimize, but when they do build this way their main strength does suffer(moderately or greatly) allows for easier balancing. Examples of champions where this was a massive problem was Rengar and Jayce. They were able to build full tank (Rengar) and still do huge damage or build mana (Jayce) which allowed them to still do full damage but removed their mana dependence.

What do you think?

X SkeletonCandy

11-01-2013

Trying to get back together with a previous girlfriend. Things are going well, we're going out for sushi sometime in the next week!

Rotter Zwerg

11-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Crisis View Post
I'm having a really conflicted day

My cat was hit by a car and died today, but I also got to gold after grinding for a month

Hm.

Attachment 816697
I myself am conflicted, I don't know whether to try and cheer you up with relevant humor that could potentially go sour, or ponder how to ask a girl I like out, here's a pick your own punchline.

disregard cat, acquire (dog/kitty cat katarina).

Boyahda

11-01-2013

Recovering from a 7 day long cluster headache cycle. I pray every night that I don't wake up the next day with these but they never leave.

Eyrgos

11-01-2013

I'm pondering about Season 4 Changes...

I'd really like it if you made it so Sightstone & Ruby Sightstone raised the owner's Ward Cap to 4 & 5 respectively...

Also if the lvl. 9 Trinket upgrades were automatic (free).

What're your thoughts on this Xelnath?

I miss being a Vision-Leader as a Support

I think the Sightstone idea is a good compromise.

Spider0ne

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-01-2013

Quote:
Sure, let's talk about balance. But not any specific champion's balance. Let's talk about what it takes to balance a game as a whole, while keeping interesting parts of the game maximally imbalanced.

What do you think is the secret to this magical mix?
May I participate in this discussion?

I believe that it would depend on what type of game you are looking at, such as a board game, a tabletop RPG, or something like League. Depending on the goals of the game, lets say a board game, giving everyone equal opportunities that aren't guaranteed to happen seems to work quite well. Things with an element of randomness, such as rolling dice and drawing cards, work well as long as there isn't some kind of result that is exceptionally rare and overbearing (instantly winning the game type of things.)

But I think that a discussion on dynamic balance would make for interesting conversation. I think the important thing in any type of advancement style RPG is having a niche that is defined by what your class (table top RPG) or character (MOBA) is strong at and weak against. For example, in D&D, the Fighter class fights. They have a severely lacking amount of class skills, very little skill points to use, and have no access to spells. But they can fight in any way they want through their bonus feats. Conversely, the Wizard has almost 0 combat skills (not counting combat spells) but they can cast a myriad of spells to help them with almost everything imaginable. I think that this trade-off of power and utility to make specific niche character types is what makes a multiplayer game fun, interesting, and the best way to balance out the game. Class A will be/is supposed to be good at Action A and can't/can barely do Action B while Class B will be/is supposed to be suited for Action B but can perform Action A and C if need be.

Rauron

11-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrefaceOfTheGods View Post
It sounds like something I'd play were it not for the 18+ aspect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire Cerulius View Post
If you're a fan or SRPG's and willing to look passed nudity then I recommend it.
Why is sexuality something to be avoided? I'm not saying we should all be chomping at the bit to get some skin flashed our way, but nor is a "sexy things bad" attitude healthy. Is there more context here that I'm missing?

Barso55

11-01-2013