How are you doing tonight?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Stannis Mannis

11-01-2013

Any news on this bug with the Mystery Gifts?

http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com....php?t=3992211

Send Me Lewds

11-02-2013

I was gonna say that I was doing well, but then I sat here and thought and was honest with myself. Quite frankly, I'm pretty upset and sad. Been thinking about some past decisions I made involving relationships with people, one being a girl I felt very deeply about (not gonna quite say the L word here). The more I think on it the more I realize how bummed I am that I pretty much destroyed that relationship as well as a few others and I feel they're beyond repair.

At least I recently got a job at Best Buy and enjoy it! So guess there's at least that to be happy about.

Samhigher92

11-02-2013

Just got home from chilling with all my friends because I'm moving from my childhood home tomorrow forever But I did win my two games today.

Sax Man 10

11-02-2013

Im pretty good! home from college for the weekend and playing league with friends before bed

I did just have a weird problem though.. I played an aram with a friend and we were just about to lose, when all of the sudden my ping spiked to just over 2000 (i dont remember the exact number) and then said "attempting to reconnect." so I hit escape and left game, and then there wasn't an option to reconnect; i was just in the main screen of the client. I asked my friend if it said i dc'd and he said he was just typing the same question to me (he had 2028 ping). The game is not on our match history, nor do any of the players show up under "recently played" tab of the friends list.

Breakstar

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider0ne View Post
<snip>
But I think that a discussion on dynamic balance would make for interesting conversation. I think the important thing in any type of advancement style RPG is having a niche that is defined by what your class (table top RPG) or character (MOBA) is strong at and weak against. For example, in D&D, the Fighter class fights. They have a severely lacking amount of class skills, very little skill points to use, and have no access to spells. But they can fight in any way they want through their bonus feats. Conversely, the Wizard has almost 0 combat skills (not counting combat spells) but they can cast a myriad of spells to help them with almost everything imaginable. I think that this trade-off of power and utility to make specific niche character types is what makes a multiplayer game fun, interesting, and the best way to balance out the game. Class A will be/is supposed to be good at Action A and can't/can barely do Action B while Class B will be/is supposed to be suited for Action B but can perform Action A and C if need be.
I'd argue against this example, personally.
The gameplay of a Wizard is extremely engaging: you have meaningful short-term choices to make every day (which spells you prepare), but you also get long-term advancement choices that matter (which spells you learn).
You then, throughout the day, have the choice of how to best use your spells, and there is a HUGE variety there. Should I use fireball to take out those goblins, or save it to burn down their camp? Should I save my last few Magic Missiles just in case we have to fight an Incorporeal opponent?

But then, the Fighter Fights. He hits things with a sword, every turn. He might try to Trip or Disarm, but he probably can't do those well unless he's invested feats specifically into them.
So the Fighter's play is extremely one-dimensional, with minimal choices made. While sometimes playing a simple, straightforward class is enjoyable, I think the Fighter lacks options so severely that it is guaranteed to be less engaging than the Wizard.

DM DunkMaster

11-02-2013

A concept for a void creature, eh?
1 syllable 3 letter gibberish - 1 syllable 3 letter gibberish, The Mother Void

Appearance - Malzahar Voidling, except much bigger with some insect anatomy for badassness
Kit - Can spawn other voidlings and has an ability that heals her upon chomping an enemy champion.
VFX - Baritone growly female voice with the standard void sounds.

There Xelnath, get Parrotman to doddle this up

Azphix

11-02-2013

Ive noticed that in games where balance is an issue, most of the times they take the OP way and make everything feel OP instead of balancing stuff (unlike league which places a huge emphasis on balance) which is why i think is one of the reasons it will never be fully out of beta. Theres a lot to do so that something doesnt end up being OP but that creates more work. Examples would be games like Dota 2 or most other mobas coming out. Another example that has nothing to do with games would be card games, such as yu-gi-oh and so on. This games end up being broken but play able in some aspects due to them being fun and their mechanics interesting. Would you say this is one of the aspects as to why we dont see as much emphasis on games taking the more balanced path but rather the OP one?. Sorry if is hard to read, im tired and dont have much time to fix my wording xD.

Elewd

11-02-2013

Xelnath this may not be something you can explain, but what exactly is QA, like i see it and i know it stands for quality assurance, but i never understood what that meant, is it just a "test things to make sure they are readable to people, fun to play/against, and looks good?"

MisterTitanic

11-02-2013

just played against a nidalee and i'm raging hard at how annoying she is to play against

Xelnath

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Systems Designer

11-02-2013
11 of 24 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarz View Post
I feel tired, haven't slept and it's 6:44 AM.

More importantly, Xelnath, how does it feel to be joint best dev along with Xypherous?

Soraka changes on the PBE right now are super awesome, love the starcall change and I really want to try buying a tear one change to see how awesome I can make infuse.
You can thank Meddler and his team for the Soraka work.

We had a fun little discussion at work about our various forum roles.

Tank: Morello - he intentionally steps into difficult conversations and draws negative attention to himself to absorb emotional damage for his team.
Jungle Fighter: Zileas - drops in out of nowhere to amuse himself by beating up someone randomly in a thread. Tanks abuse and dishes it out back in double proportion.

Marksman: Xypherous - when he shows up and decides to focus you down, your hypothesis is systematic dismantled without retribution. Retreats quickly when he recognizes a superior point and can be fragile if aggressively pursued.
Mage: Xelnath - constantly visible, but usually with very light impact. Disappears to roam, then erupts with massive throughput, explosive threads and flashy changes. Primarily provides utility support as projects come to a close.

Support: Pwyff - always around, covers our bases, makes sure other regions get exposure. Always looking for new ways to help and bring extra visibility about upcoming patch changes.