Hey Phreak can you teach me how to pronounce Nee-Duh-Lee

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BeeGeePee

11-01-2013

I never knew the correct pronounciation was Nee-Duh-lee. If you read it in Greek that is how it would be pronounced so I ain't even mad.

But for people who read english normally I am suprised they didn't spell it

"Needalee"

I think that aesthetically is an ugly spelling though.

Gløry

11-01-2013

"Link" is the only straight up example I can think of. Oh, and think. And sink. brink. kink. Mink. Pink. rink. plink. fink. zinc. wink.

Haha. Still, it's pretty unusual.

JacksonSolo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gløry View Post
Nihilism's alternate pronunciation. Arguably correct since in latin nihi would have been pronounced with a long e sound.

also Elite, elitism, etc. But you could argue the e 'helps out.' This is another Latin thing here (by way of french this time)

However, Nidalee does not have any latin roots.
This was actually a well thought out post, thanks for the response

But yeah, it seems like the previous or following vowel would modify the pronunciation of the 'i.' In our case, it doesn't seem like the following "a" should make the 'i' sound like "e."

Unless you break it down like Nida (neigh-da, or nee-da)
Nidal (neigh-dal, like tidal?)
Nidale (not sure here)
Nidalee - in any case, I think more of an argument could be made for neigh-da-lee over nee-da-lee, with nih-da-lee being the most likely choice.

JacksonSolo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-01-2013

Quote:
"Link" is the only straight up example I can think of. Oh, and think. And sink. brink. kink. Mink. Pink. rink. plink. fink. zinc. wink.

Haha. Still, it's pretty unusual.
Ah true. I didn't study English enough to explain those pronunciations :/ lol. I guess to each his own.

Shallow Hearts

11-01-2013

Nidalee [niːdɒliː], am I doing it right?

Gløry

11-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonSolo View Post
Ah true. I didn't study English enough to explain those pronunciations :/ lol. I guess to each his own.
I can't explain them off the top of my head. I dont know if they all share a common source or what. very curious. But I feel it has more to do with the I being followed by an N and then another consonant, just like in the -ing gerund ending.

I mean, these are all just guidelines, but basically every guideline should tell a person that it's nidalee, not neeladee. If they wanted it to be needalee, they shouldnt have spelled it nidalee.

OctaSteve

11-01-2013

Anyone else hooked on phonics?

I can't get enough o' dat ****!

Venom Stoneice

11-01-2013

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0rNL4vqkK0

Needle eedle eedle lee

Alchai

11-01-2013

Wombat's stance on this is that if we are calling her Nee-Duh-Lee, then we're going all out, and her mid-lane counterpart is "Feedlesteeks"

Also
Tareek,
Zeelean,
Zeegs,
Vee,
Deeahna,
Hecareem,
Yoreek...

Grrglsplat

11-01-2013

Quote:
I don't think pluralization really counts. the word is ski. the fact that an 's' pluralizes it is incidental to its pronunciation
Moving goalposts is fun. I provided what was asked for.

Whatever. It's very common in other languages for i to be pronounced ee. Spanish, for example. Italian, Latin, I think? What makes you think Nidalee should be pronounced based on your English, rather than those languages? Is she from England/America?

How about primo? That's a perfect example of how the English language incorporates other languages, and a good reason you can't just take your gut phonics reaction for every word out there. I'm sure there are other examples.

How do you pronounce Pino Palladino? "Pee-no palla-dee-no". Pia colada?